Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2016, 11:08 PM

Default Forestry Trunk Road/ Hwy 40

Hey folks, thinking of a back-country camping along The FTR/ hwy 40 and fishing the rivers. I have 2-3 days to explore with the brother and a couple of my buddies, sometime at the end of the month. Was thinking either Sundre area to Cochrane or Longview area down to Crownest. The north by Nordegg seems more fun for camping but I don't think it'll fit the time, kinda far. I'm not too familiar with the streams along it, never tried fishing them. Since I'm camping was thinking of keeping a couple for the fire, so a limit of 1 or 2 would be helpful. No, I'm not looking for secret spots or any, just a few streams I could explore around with some fish. Any tips on the routes, random camping (first time) or the rivers to fish would be greatly appreciated, feel free to pm. And if I happen to be lucky and catch some I'll post something the trip about it sometime after it.
Cheers
Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 AM

I recommend you take two weeks, start at Hinton and work your way down to Waterton and if you have any time left swing over to Cypress hills to finish off, then give us a full report. I think all those places offer a combination of wilderness fishing pursuits as well as some stocked potholes for the frying pan. I usually let the weather/fireban reports make my decision.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 AM

Get Barry Mitchell's trunk road book. There's more information in there than any of us could even hope to express on a forum
Old 07-18-2016, 11:41 AM

i think the best sections on the FTR are right around Nordegg, either north or south. some of the better producing rivers in that area. lots of spots to random camp if need be and a few stocked lakes in the area to catch a couple for supper. most if not all the rivers are C&R in that area.

i would start at Nordegg and head south to the Caroline turn-off. you have the N Sask, N Ram, S Ram, Clearwater, Elk Creek to name a few with lots of stocked lakes and ponds in the area. lots of places to camp also. i have found this stretch to have the better fishing then further south near Sundre.

but then you can't beat the FTR from Kananaskis turnoff down to Crowsnest either for great fishing rivers, but lots of pressure especially on weekends and 2 -3 days would not be enough to explore that area.

my 2 cents worth

Rgds
Mike
Old 07-18-2016, 12:35 PM

Not too sure about how good or bad the fishing is, but nice camp spots near Waiparous....

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Get Barry Mitchell's trunk road book. There's more information in there than any of us could even hope to express on a forum
Will find that book

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
i think the best sections on the FTR are right around Nordegg, either north or south. some of the better producing rivers in that area. lots of spots to random camp if need be and a few stocked lakes in the area to catch a couple for supper. most if not all the rivers are C&R in that area.

i would start at Nordegg and head south to the Caroline turn-off. you have the N Sask, N Ram, S Ram, Clearwater, Elk Creek to name a few with lots of stocked lakes and ponds in the area. lots of places to camp also. i have found this stretch to have the better fishing then further south near Sundre.

but then you can't beat the FTR from Kananaskis turnoff down to Crowsnest either for great fishing rivers, but lots of pressure especially on weekends and 2 -3 days would not be enough to explore that area.

my 2 cents worth

Rgds
Mike
Thanks guys it really helps. I think few days is probably insufficient, I'll see if I could get a longer time. Which stretch of road has a less-steep or terrain to drive on 'cause the car isn't in the best condition for gravel roads lol. I'll check the book and make my decision on where. Is there a website about rules on random camping, and also can I camp a very short walk from the road (park on the side of the road?) and if not should I carry the tent and supplies when fishing (that's gonna be a pain), to camp farther into the wilderness? It's gonna be my first time trying so I'm not familiar with it.
Thanks once again folks
Old 07-18-2016, 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=Jake-138;3281390]Not too sure about how good or bad the fishing is, but nice camp spots near Waiparous....

Its terrible absolutely the worst fishing ever
Old 07-19-2016, 08:55 AM

in that case if you only have a few days I would definately consider either fishing the N Ram or the Livingstone rivers as both rivers are easy to access and have lots of random camping spots right next to the river just off the road. both roads are fairly car friendly (they are gravel roads and can get rough in spots but nothing a car can't handle if you go slow). the North Fork road leaves teh FTR at the N Ram bridge and follows the river about 10 - 12 klicks downstream and has some incredible fishing and camping spots. the FTR follows the Livingstone just about its whole length with the best section being from the confluence with the Oldman upstream to the Falls (i have never fished above the Falls so can't say how good the fishing is). some very incredible fishing along this section with fairly easy access (it does go thru a mini-canyon, so you do have to climb down to the river in spots but lots of trails to choose from) and lots of places to random camp. just find a spot to camp on either river (they get busy on weekends) and you can fish the river form your campsite or drive to a different section if need be. lots of spots to pull off the road and park either next to river or a short walk to the river even with a car.
as far as random camping, no real rules or regs posted that i know of (maybe check the ALberta Forestry website) but just leave as small of a footprint as you can, pack out all your garbage, take a shovel if tenting to make a loo, and remember you are in bear country so don't leave food out and be bear aware.

pm me and i can give you some more detailed info if you want.

have fun
Mike
Old 07-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
pm me and i can give you some more detailed info if you want.
What more could there be?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 PM

Drove this road yesterday Hwy 3 north to the pavement. 100km total length. Everything north of Livingstone Falls campground (water) is extremely muddy. All the water south of this point is clear. Quite a few people out there and lots were fishing but its by no means crowded.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:22 PM

Thanks guys, it really helps, I think I will postpone it to August or when the levels stabilize. I'll be wet wading with sandals so high water is a problem.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Thanks guys, it really helps, I think I will postpone it to August or when the levels stabilize. I'll be wet wading with sandals so high water is a problem.
August would be a good time. Just a heads up, avoid the sandals in any of these freestone streams, there are plenty of ankle eating rocks in them (rolled ankles). Try and grab a pair of the new style mesh gym shoes or some old hiking boots. There are also neoprene wet wading socks so you can use your wading boots if you have a pair.