Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Default Highwood River conditions

Hey guys. Just wondering if any of you have been out to the Highwood lately? How were the conditions and how did you fair? I'm heading out tomorrow evening for four days to fish both the highwood and the sheep. Not picky when it comes to targeting fish but I would really like to get my first bull and first brookie on this trip. Any info is appreciated. I made a thread under general fishing discussion before noticing the fly fishing discussion
Old 07-07-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFan9 View Post
Hey guys. Just wondering if any of you have been out to the Highwood lately? How were the conditions and how did you fair? I'm heading out tomorrow evening for four days to fish both the highwood and the sheep. Not picky when it comes to targeting fish but I would really like to get my first bull and first brookie on this trip. Any info is appreciated. I made a thread under general fishing discussion before noticing the fly fishing discussion
The rivers are low and warm
http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xI...4E1DCB73E15B73
Debarb your hooks. Play the fish quickly. Limit the glory pictures.

You probably will not catch any brookies. I have never caught one on either river, probably because they do not live there.

Bring your bear spray. Last week, I saw a momma grizzly-n-cub and a big male black bear.

These rivers are precious. I envy you get 4 full days in this amazing part of the world.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:01 AM

Really? Brook trout Is the only trout specified in the regs on the Highwood so I find it hard to believe there are none in that system but they probably aren't plentiful. Yeah I figured they would be low and warm after last week's advisory so we will be very quick with playing them and releasing them. Thanks man. Yeah I've waited a long time for these four days off so I'm pretty excited just to get out to that area and enjoy it
Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFan9 View Post
Really? Brook trout Is the only trout specified in the regs on the Highwood so I find it hard to believe there are none in that system but they probably aren't plentiful. Yeah I figured they would be low and warm after last week's advisory so we will be very quick with playing them and releasing them. Thanks man. Yeah I've waited a long time for these four days off so I'm pretty excited just to get out to that area and enjoy it
My apologies---I was a little stunned when you said they were in the regulations. I have never caught a brookie, but i have also never fished the Highwood above the Kananaskis boundary. I tend to fish alone, but my wife does not like it when I am alone in the mountains. I tend to agree with her. For some reason the bears seem to know where the park boundary begins.

There are very few places in Alberta where you can shamelessly harvest some trout. Invasive brookies are freaking delicious. Good luck on that front.

http://www.countrypleasures.com/river_reports.php

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
My apologies---I was a little stunned when you said they were in the regulations. I have never caught a brookie, but i have also never fished the Highwood above the Kananaskis boundary. I tend to fish alone, but my wife does not like it when I am alone in the mountains. I tend to agree with her. For some reason the bears seem to know where the park boundary begins.

There are very few places in Alberta where you can shamelessly harvest some trout. Invasive brookies are freaking delicious. Good luck on that front.

http://www.countrypleasures.com/river_reports.php

Good luck.
Hey no worries man I was surprised to see them listed too. I hear they are tasty little buggers and yeah I don't feel to bad keeping a couple for a fry since they are an invasive species. I don't blame your wife for that mindset! My woman is the same way. Going to be three of us fishing together and I'll definitely be carrying my bear scare. Yet to have ever used it but it would be the one time you don't bring it that you end up really needing it. Sounds like we will have to fish past the k country border and find them brookies! Thanks for the reply. I will keep the thread updated with conditions and hopefully a few pictures If the situation is timed right when we land them (don't like fumbling around for photos so unless it's quick and painless they will be released without photo evidence)
Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 PM

In all my years fishing the wood from top to bottom. I've caught rainbows, cuttbows, cutts, bulls and whites but never a brook trout. I would be interested in seeing one from there.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
In all my years fishing the wood from top to bottom. I've caught rainbows, cuttbows, cutts, bulls and whites but never a brook trout. I would be interested in seeing one from there.
Haha well based off both of your experience I'll be hard pressed to find one to share! But I have a good amount of time for once so I'll do my best at trying. But with a species selection like that I'm happy either way! Hitting the road in a few hours
Old 07-08-2016, 12:18 AM

Now that being said. The beaver ponds around and near the Highwood had lots of Brook trout in them before the floods. The floods wiped out a lot of those areas and maybe flushed some brooks into the river and they survived. Best of luck and I look forward to your report.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:57 PM

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Last edited by BrownTrout; 07-09-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:51 AM

Brookies in the Upper Highwood and lots in a certain tributary
Old 07-10-2016, 09:43 AM

Cataract creek has a metric ****-ton of small brookies per km of stream, you'll get one there almost guaranteed.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Cataract creek has a metric ****-ton of small brookies per km of stream, you'll get one there almost guaranteed.
EDIT ... FOUND IT

Is that a tributary of Highwood? I had a look at my BRMB and couldn't find it (doesn't mean it's not there lol)

Thanks