Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Default Kayak fishing Southern Alberta.

Just starting out in kayak fishing.
Wondering if there is a group in Lethbridge area that would like to meet up after ice out??
Never fished from a kayak before.
But have paddling experience with canoes.
With the +temps here lately I'm getting extremely excited to get on the water.
But I know Mother Nature is just messing around right now.
My 2016 WS ATAK is rigged and ready to hit the water!!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Got into kayak fishing last year. It's great fun but sorry I live in Calgary. U should post a pic of your new rig
Old 01-30-2016, 05:02 PM

I'd be up for a kayak fishing partner, just moved to Lake Newell and will be exploring the bays a lot this year in my Hobie. If you feel like making a trip out here for a weekend some time we can definitely hit the water. I've only ever kayak fished solo which is nice but it'd be good to have company sometimes too.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:30 PM

I'm looking into fishing Kayaks (don't have one yet) and was considering destinations and such. I don't want a belly boat, pontoon boat or a tin boat but really like the versatility of the fishing style kayaks...11' to 13'.

So, having said that, are there any "groups" or is this the grass roots of it right here perhaps?

Like AdverseCity mentioned, solo is likely one of my goals, but a group event once in awhile would be cool too!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:18 PM

https://eastslopekayakfishingclassic.wordpress.com/

Alberta's greatest (maybe only) kayak fishing tournament will be July long weekend at Buffalo lake this year. It's actually open to any single person human powered vessel like a canoe, pontoon boat, etc. Last year it was split between Birch lake and Burntstick lake near Caroline. Cheap entry fee considering you have a good chance of winning a door prize at least, pretty sure last year there were more sponsor donated door prizes than entrants.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post

Alberta's greatest (maybe only) kayak fishing tournament will be July long weekend at Buffalo lake this year. It's actually open to any single person human powered vessel like a canoe, pontoon boat, etc. Last year it was split between Birch lake and Burntstick lake near Caroline. Cheap entry fee considering you have a good chance of winning a door prize at least, pretty sure last year there were more sponsor donated door prizes than entrants.
The tournament will be at Battle lake This year Rob on the July long weekend.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Got into kayak fishing last year. It's great fun but sorry I live in Calgary. U should post a pic of your new rig
Not sure how pics here work yet.
Here's a link.
http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/cv...h/library/ATAK
Old 01-30-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
The tournament will be at Battle lake This year Rob on the July long weekend.
I knew that and still typed Buffalo for some reason. I did a ton of research about the campground at Battle Lake and the 4H site just the other day. I just read a fishing report about Buffalo lake a couple hours ago and didn't make the same mistake. It's been a long shift at work with very little sleep, that's my excuse. Without an "edit post" option my brainfart is now permanently displayed for all to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisV. View Post
Not sure how pics here work yet.
Here's a link.
http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/cv...h/library/ATAK
That is a well set-up rig, everything within easy reach and looks to be pretty comfortable. I really should do some more customizing on my PA12 before the ice is gone.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 AM
Banned

Default That's exactly what I want ...

Just not to sure about the pedal system .....vis a vis weeds
Hard bottom landings .i have never seen one ,of these live
In the water . I know I'm done with big boats , so I'm
Pondering canoe , kayak ??????
Old 01-31-2016, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

Another mistake in above post as well...Last year was Phyliss Lake and Burntstick.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 PM

A good resource for those getting into kayak fishing is the Canadian forum:
http://canadiankayakanglers.com

I use a Hobie PA12 for all of my fishing in S Alberta and throughout the B.C. Kootenays. This year, a trip to the coast to try for salmon is in the cards...
Old 01-31-2016, 01:58 PM

Finally got pic to upload. I use mine for bass fishing at the lake in southern BC. Want to use it in the bay at Newell this year however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 01-31-2016, 02:00 PM

One other pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:22 PM

Thanks thumper, I did find CKA a while ago, and find it informative.
AdverseCity, a friend I have on FB sent me an invite to the EastSlpoe.
I am interested, just not sure of logistics as far as work goes.
olddog, nice rig!!
As far as getting around and getting in water, that's ANOTHER hurdle I have to cross.
If you checked out my link to pics, I had to slide a couple 8' strips of plywood to get her home!!
With the cover I have on my truck I think I'll need a trailer.
Looking at a Salter type that folds up for storage. Only because I already have a 16' aluminum fishing boat on a trailer. So it has to be large enough T hold a 14'yak but can store easily!!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Just not to sure about the pedal system .....vis a vis weeds
Hard bottom landings .i have never seen one ,of these live
In the water . I know I'm done with big boats , so I'm
Pondering canoe , kayak ??????
The pedal system pops out very quickly when landing/in shallow water. If you are in very weedy situations you will have to pull them up and paddle but it is pretty rare a guy needs to be right in the middle of a thick bunch of weeds.

Fishing kayaks are 10 times better then a canoe imo. Canoes you always have to be worried about the wind or getting swamped, in a good fishing kayak you can stay out in worse conditions then most boats.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTreadOnMe View Post
Another mistake in above post as well...Last year was Phyliss Lake and Burntstick.
Well color me embarrassed, that's what I get when trying to go into specifics without Google.

Don, I'm the guy who bought Carl's PA12 and I'm pretty sure you're the one we talked about a bit. You're the Hobie rep around these parts are you not? I'm looking to get some more accessories for my kayak soon and was hoping you could suggest a good place to order with reasonable shipping to Canada. A local store would be great but I'm not sure there's anywhere that fits the bill, if there is I'd love to know. Cheers and I look forward to meeting the group at Battle Lake this summer.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 PM

Also for anyone interested I'm planning a weekend long kayak fishing party at Lake Newell this spring/summer. Basically as soon as it opens to fishing after ice out, hoping to get some big pike on the fly rod in the shallows. It's geared towards beginners like myself but we could definitely use a couple seasoned vets to help things along. I live right on the lake and have lots of room for people looking to stay overnight without breaking the bank, plus this way we can hit the water anytime we want. Anyone interested feel free to PM me or just keep an eye out for my thread coming soon, I just need to figure out which weekend I have off work around that time. I'm hoping it'll be a great time with fellow kayakers, good food and a chance to make some lasting friendships on the water. What more could a guy hope for?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Well color me embarrassed, that's what I get when trying to go into specifics without Google.

Don, I'm the guy who bought Carl's PA12 and I'm pretty sure you're the one we talked about a bit. You're the Hobie rep around these parts are you not? I'm looking to get some more accessories for my kayak soon and was hoping you could suggest a good place to order with reasonable shipping to Canada. A local store would be great but I'm not sure there's anywhere that fits the bill, if there is I'd love to know. Cheers and I look forward to meeting the group at Battle Lake this summer.
No he isn't a Hobie rep, he doesn't like Hobies lol.

Local Hobie dealer in both Edmonton and Calgary is Glenmore Sailboats. Expect to pay a ridiculous amount with the crappy dollar though.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:09 AM

Here's two ways of transporting yaks.
That's a Hobie Outback and a Hobie PA 12 on the Yakima Rack and Roll trailer, and a Hobie Sport on the Thule X Sporter Truck Rack. I can fit another Hobie on the truck rack if need be.

And here's the PA 12 by itself on the Yakima Rack and Roll trailer. They're pricey, and only rated to 300 lbs, but their all aluminum construction make them very light, and great on the highway. The independent motorcycle style shocks give a smooth, vibration free ride for your yak, and without a rear axle - superb ground clearance for logging roads. Even with 2 outfitted Hobies on it (approx 250 lbs), it's well balanced and easy to move around off the truck. If I need to turn around on a narrow back road, I can quickly disconnect the trailer, turn the truck around, and then reconnect the trailer.
For compact storage, the tongue slides into itself, and the wheels pivot inwards on integral hinges. It takes 2 minutes, and no tools. When flipped onto its end, two, integral heavy duty skateboard wheels allow you to wheel it around easily. I flip mine on end, and wheel it into the basement through a conventional-sized sliding glass door - the store it flat against a basement wall.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:29 AM

Would be interested in Newell this spring
Old 02-01-2016, 01:31 PM

I use a Salter folding trailer for my 12' Kayaks

I carry my camping equipment in the trailer and in the winter I remove the wood from the trailer and fold it up in the corner of my garage.

Our dollar really sucks...a new Hobie Pro Angler 12' costs just over $4500

The trailer I bought unassembled for $650 and took a couple evenings to assemble it and added the wood over the next couple of weeks.

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 02-01-2016, 04:59 PM

jkind, that's pretty much what I'll be getting.
But we shall see what the boatshow in Calgary will provide!!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:04 PM

If you go on Saturday I will be working at the Glenmore Sailboats booth...stop in and say hi.

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 PM

I'm planning on being there Saturday.
And I'll give it a shot!!
There's a few ppl now I have to try and connect with!!
Have to look at a few things there for my new toy, and my older 16' aluminum Starcraft openbow.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 PM

Made a fishing friend today, paid him a bag of money and he sold me his used (4 times?) 2015 Old Town Predator 13.

I'm pumped!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 AM

Sweet looking boat foot stomper. You won't regret buying a kayak