Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Default .50 barrels

I need some technical savvy about .50 barrels.

Is the barrel on a .50 machine gun the same barrel as a .50 Barrett or some other bolt-action?

Sounds odd, I know. There's a political background to this that I'd rather keep in my pocket, if that's ok.

Personally, I have no interest in a .50....well, maybe if I win the lottery. I am interested, though, in the ban on importing .50 barrels imposed last year (2 yrs. ago?); as was explained to me by a gun dealer friend. We're all in the same boat and need to stick up for each other. That's what I'm doing and I'm at a point in the conversation with Big Brother where I need more than principle and logic.

I would have thought: a) they use the same barrel; or b) a specialized .50 machine gun barrel would not have ever left the U.S. anyway due to their own restrictions.

As I understand it, someone who laid out $5g for a Barrett in Canada was, until fairly recently, able to re-barrel his rifle but now cannot do so because the barrels cannot be imported. Sim, one could not build a custom .50 rifle to shoot tight groups into old junker cars at 2000 yds.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM

.50 cal hmg barrels are totally different
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM

How so?

Also, those barrels would not be installed in a .50 Barrett or other rifle that you can buy here, correct?

thx.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:47 PM

The M-2 barrels have a stellite lined chamber and chrome lined bore, I doubt anyone building a .50 target rifle would bother with the expense.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 PM

barrels they are alot heavier for automatic firing the older m2 you have to head space with gauges
Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM

The 50BMG problem stems from US export regulations, not our import regs. And 50 barrels can be imported, long as they're not chambered to BMG.....I just got a lilja put on mine, in fact I broke it in yesterday.....
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM

And "Barretts", specifically as a brand, were on the "can't have" list since back in the Kim Campbell days. Other brands, such as Steyr, and custom builds are fine on our end. But the US won't allow export, so all the brands manufactured down there don't make it up here. I'm lucky enough to have gotten a Armalite before the post-9-11 rules imposed by the US.....
Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM

The bore diameter is the same. 0.510" i bought a Canadian made 50 cal barrel and made it into a 510 Wells. I can shoot the same projectiles as the 50 BMG, just slower is all.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
The 50BMG problem stems from US export regulations, not our import regs. And 50 barrels can be imported, long as they're not chambered to BMG.....I just got a lilja put on mine, in fact I broke it in yesterday.....
Are you sure the 50BMG restriction is on the American side? Just asking if you know that or just heard it because a gun dealer told me it was the Canadian side that stopped the imports and that's what got me protesting - it sounded just like the rest of the stupid gun laws and regs we are cursed with. Not saying you aren't correct, just asking how you know.

Do you know when importing 50 BMG barrels into Canada stopped?

Also, it doesn't sound to me like a 50BMG barrel is the same thing as an "M-2" barrel? Correct?

Are M-2 barrels banned, as well? Or just 50BMG.

Thx for taking the time to respond.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 AM

The 50 BMG restriction is definitely on the American side. I didn't just hear that, I have shot a 50 since 1999 and am well aware of the problems this has caused, mainly lack of componants and high prices. While not knowing the letter of the American law, in essence, nothing "50BMG" can be exported. No rifles, no loaded ammo, no brass, no primers. I have LEGALLY had Hornady bullets brought in (with proper permits on both sides), the trick being, far as I understand, they are .510 projectiles, not "50BMG".
Barrels, to my understanding, are the same. They are just a .510 barrel, not specifically chambered. Again, I just had one installed on my rifle this spring.

For further and more detailed explanation of the specific import rules and issues, contact Rick at Alberta Tactical Rifle (forget his moniker on here)....he can speak to the topic much more intelligently than I can....

By M2 barrel, I'm guessing you mean a barrel from a M2 (Ma Duece) machine gun?.....They are .510 and chambered for the 50BMG, same as any sporting rifle.....Just machine gun chambers are usually sloppy, and some brass from them is a real problem to get resized enough for use in a tighter chamber. As to the physical make-up of those barrels, I am ignorant of the materials used on them over the years....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 AM

The first .50 BMG rifles were built on aircraft gun barrels, much lighter than the ground version. Just fitted them to a Soviet or British anti tank rifle. Lot of water has gone under that bridge.

Grizz
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks, Dmay. I will follow that up.

I thought the ban on importing .50 barrels was on the Canadian side and was a ban like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yw_P...eature=related

Sounds like I was wrong.