Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

Arrow Air Pistol Review, Webley Alecto dethrones HW45!

Webley Alecto (rebranded Zoraki HP-01), several dealers in Canada can be sourced out on Canadian Airgun Forum fyi.

Details, multi-stroke pneumatic, maximum 3 strokes. Power output, mine does 5.7 ft/lbs in .177 cal and 6.5 ft/lbs in .22 cal (the strongest hw45 i had just touched 6.0 ft/lbs in .22 for power comparison) although ft/lbs is a lousy measure of penetration potential as in airguns velocity at impact and smaller frontal area given same weapon/power plant the .177 will always out penetrate the .22 verson and that is the name of the game with minimal power weapons like these when pesting/hunting.

I digress, its a target pistol, i mounted a scope on mine (leupold handgun) and rest tested its potential at 11 yrds with 6-8 different pellets with .177 cal barrel, it shot all 5 shot groups you could hide under a dime but the two heavy weight pellets the crosman premier 10.5 gr and jsb exact heavy 10.3 gr just enlarged the same hole a bit. I get 477 fps with the crosman premier heavy 10.5 gr and 497 fps with the jsb exact heavy. This is at full power.

The gun has a relief valve you can adjust for full power, in .22 cal it allowed 453 fps with crosman points at 14.3 gr and 467 fps with jsb exact rs at 13.4 gr. If you were to buy a .177 version and wanted to mess with the pre-set relief valve you'd want a chrony because most standard and light pellets will go over the line on 3 strokes...so you'd have to adjust it to relieve the right amount of air to keep you under the line of going restricted. I didn't have too as i will only shoot the heavies as they were the easy choice based on the accuracy testing...if i miss i know its 100% my fault as this pistol is a literal tackdriver with those heavies.

Trigger multi-adjustable, grip comfortable (unsure but i think left handed grips may now be available). I took the clumsy/large target shelf off the bottom of the grip and in fine Canadian tradition finished the bottom with a bit of hockey tape instead as i'm all about sporting use and not so much target use.

Can the Alecto last as long a the super well built and proven HW45? Unsure but seeing reports of 6-7000 pellets on them without any hiccups so far. But at anywhere from $250.00 to $300.00 canadian i would just buy another if i wore one out, initial cost much less than hw45.

It has the power capability to pest/small game up to say 15 yrds no problem, however i will comment that most people may never be able to shoot an air pistol well enough to be proficient as your target size of say a quarter (1") on most pest/hunt kill zones is not easy to do with a pistol and often takes tons of practice to get comfortable and effective.

I like pneumatic power plants over springers in that you can rest them hard for stable shooting whereas a spring powered gun must free recoil to maintain accuracy as they jump off any hard rest due to the spring momentum on firing. Its very exagerated with a pistol like the hw45. Its nice too that for plinking you can use one or two strokes and then when you need to pest/hunt you go to full power on 3 strokes. This would be a good archive for the ultimate commercially available under 500 fps air pistol for any sort of pesting or hunting. Google away if you need more info, they've been around a few years now, i didn't get one until they has been somewhat proven.

I shoot it without scope or red dot after testing/proving phase as i find my proficiency best inside 15 yrds and i've even better if i can get closer to the 10 yrd range or under. I got a little proving time afield with it not too long ago. Most killed insided the 10 yrd range but did take a couple inside the 15 yrd range but i wanted pictures so kept things close as possible for brain shots, usually i will body shoot for the heart/lungs and know they will never come out of hole again and the kill zone is bigger just like big game so my percentage of kill at end of day will be higher than the head only shots, just not fussy on either head/boiler room shots, it kind of depends the view of target it get, pellets are going through and through at this range with this set up.

Note, it has only one cross slot in rail for red dots etc. i had to have one added to get the scope on it for testing.

I've long been a fan and advocate of the hw45 and it took 20 plus years for me to see something that could dethrone it. If one wants the ultimate sporting air pistol here, there it is. There is also an 'ultra' model with longer barrel but it will push .22 cal over the line in velocity as pneumatic powerplants always get more velocity with more barrel length to a point of course. There is no point getting the ultra version in Canada, doubt they even bring them in. You don't need more velocity in either cal that this can achieve, keeping it simple and inside 15 yrds the .22 would be a great choice and likely no need for a chrony once relief adjusted to max power, haven't seen reports of a standard in .22 going over the line. They seem very consistant from gun to gun on power capability in all reports i've seen.

I thought this would be good info for the airgun fans if the pistol thing ever comes up in discussion.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 06-25-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks for another stellar review and even better shooting!

LC