Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Dang if you can do that consistentlyyou should shoot 3D and target competitions.... if you used a stabiliser you would be gaining world records!...

I love the guys that claim to be able to hit a Tim Horton's cup lid at 70 yards every time!....
Not 70 yards for me.. But back when I was shooting, I could do 50 yards into a Timmys lid all day long.. . As a group we all got so good at 30 yards, we had to pic different spots on the target. If not the nocks would fly and the aluminum would dent
Ahhh.. Sometimes I miss those days. I just kind of moved away from the bow. To bad really. I used to enjoy the heck out of it. I found it to be calming and refuge from a situation I had put myself into.. (The LOST DECADE)
Old 02-28-2008, 05:58 AM
christensen

Quote:
Sometimes I miss those days. I just kind of moved away from the bow. To bad really. I used to enjoy the heck out of it. I found it to be calming and refuge from a situation I had put myself into.. (The LOST DECADE)
not lost you just have to find it again even if its once a month.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

Chris.
LOLOLO
The Bow part was not the lost part. I was referring to my 20's. I didn't do a bunch, I jumped (or was pushed) from job to job. I spent most of my time in the Ranchmens. It was all about wine, women and song.. The rest I just wasted.
I know I could pick the bow back up again, but when does a guy have to many hobby's.
But back to what this thread is all about.
IMHO if you have proper form with a well tuned bow, the stabilizer allows you to shrink your groupings. Other than that, I didn't see a bunch of help. Kind of like when I switched from a post type sight to a fine line sight.

Jamie
Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 AM

TreeGuy, quiver solution. I had the same problem with the arrow nocks hanging down 3 or 4 inches below the bottom wheel, and I know how troublesome this can be. I also tried different quivers with no success, so I made a plate out of 1/8'' alluminum and drilled and countersunk the holes to line up with the holes on the bow, then mounted the quiver to this plate up higher. Now the top of the quiver is about even with the top wheel and the nocks are about 1'' above the bottom wheel, problem solved. As others have stated do not separate the quiver from the bow, as I tried this first and regreted it many times before realizing I had to build my own solution. PM me if you want more details.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Treeguy, I have a quiver in the basement that holds the nock end of the arrow and the tip and is light and adjustable for length. I forget who makes it now and it doesn't say on it. I was thinking the same as you when I setup my last bow and went with a hip quiver to loose the bow mounted quiver. I could not stand the extra weight and off balance feel to the bow. The hip quiver isn't the best but is workable, and I was going to try a cat quiver next.
I have a 6" hydraulic stabilizer on my bow(old school) and it is just there to balance the bow how I like. I may try it with and without and see if it makes a difference in noise. I was the only one in my group who followed the KISS. I even shoot without a peep! I got tired of packing a tool kit with me to keep all the junk on the bow working, so I trimmed it back to bare bones.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
Treeguy, I have a quiver in the basement that holds the nock end of the arrow and the tip and is light and adjustable for length. I forget who makes it now and it doesn't say on it. I was thinking the same as you when I setup my last bow and went with a hip quiver to loose the bow mounted quiver. I could not stand the extra weight and off balance feel to the bow. The hip quiver isn't the best but is workable, and I was going to try a cat quiver next.
I have a 6" hydraulic stabilizer on my bow(old school) and it is just there to balance the bow how I like. I may try it with and without and see if it makes a difference in noise. I was the only one in my group who followed the KISS. I even shoot without a peep! I got tired of packing a tool kit with me to keep all the junk on the bow working, so I trimmed it back to bare bones.
You will love a cat quiver!!
I've used one for years, and really like the advantage of being able to carry stuff in the backpack , but keep my arrows off my bow.
Chuck Adams designed his hip quiver years ago for the same reasons as you gave, he didn't like tha weight offsetting the bow.
cat
Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 AM

Boys..............call me Tree!

Thanks for the advice. I really think that this archery thing is ment for the restless soul. Why are we never satisfied with what we have?

KISS for me. I've looked at a ton of quivers and they are all a joke (haven't looked at the cats yet Cat) for non stand archery.

I will just have to modify what I have to make me happy. Detachable quivers are probably what I'll go with, and I'll just make it my own, to quote Paula Abdhul!

Tree
Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 AM

The reason I bought the quiver that holds the nocks was cuz I was tired of getting dirt and debris in them. A cat quiver on your back then you have an arrow on your rest while hunting. If you need to stalk in and lose the back pack, get one of those single arrow holders we traditionalists use to hold one arrow to the bow nice and neat. Better than nothing for a quick backup shot. I've never needed more!
It's easy to get all caught up with the toys.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 03-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
The reason I bought the quiver that holds the nocks was cuz I was tired of getting dirt and debris in them. A cat quiver on your back then you have an arrow on your rest while hunting. If you need to stalk in and lose the back pack, get one of those single arrow holders we traditionalists use to hold one arrow to the bow nice and neat. Better than nothing for a quick backup shot. I've never needed more!
It's easy to get all caught up with the toys.
I still hunt with the cat quiver on all the time.
if I need to get real ow I simply unlasp the chest strap and I can get real flexible.
it's made of polar fleece-like material and is very quiet.
I hve tried one of the single arrow jobs and hate it.
i would rather hold one in my left hand as i draw.

You can drop an arow out of the cat quiver without noise , and the feather fletch stays out of the weather.
Cat
Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 PM

I think i'll try the cat before I try the single. It sounds like the way to go. A guy at work loves them but doesn't hunt much, just builds bows and shoots. Last time I was in Calgary I saw some and liked them but didn't have the funds to buy one. I hope next time I see a few I have some cash. Although if I resurect my archery gear like I plan to then I may mail order one. I think I just started an archery club and myself and my two sons are the first members. I just have to find a place to shoot. but thats another topic...

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 03-08-2008, 07:55 PM

poppaW

Wear abouts are you located at? i might be able to tell you of club close by
Old 03-09-2008, 11:58 PM

Peace River

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember