Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2024, 04:51 PM

Default Curious - Drones...

Had a thought that if a person with a Drone (maybe a polorized lens ?) can fly over sponing (SP ?) areas of Pike could see the Monsters ?
Old 06-09-2024, 01:06 AM

Hmmm, never thought about that. I use my drone for dropping lures way out on the lake though...rigged a drop device using a downrigger clip
Old 06-09-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glas Ó Cairealláin View Post
Hmmm, never thought about that. I use my drone for dropping lures way out on the lake though...rigged a drop device using a downrigger clip
I was sure thinking someone should invent a gizmo to do that… even a rc boat to take the line out further than you can cast would be a huge advantage when shore fishing.
Old 06-09-2024, 05:32 PM

I have seen videos where guys are using drones to scout saltwater species but the water is really clear

Under the right water conditions it could work but don’t know if it’s worth it or not. But if you own a drone and like playing with it you might as well try
Old 06-09-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I was sure thinking someone should invent a gizmo to do that… even a rc boat to take the line out further than you can cast would be a huge advantage when shore fishing.
With the RC boat you could even do trolling at shallow depth. They used to sell a little RC boat that could supposedly land a 1-2lb fish. Not sure I’d trust that though without a mainline tied to it
Old 06-10-2024, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
With the RC boat you could even do trolling at shallow depth. They used to sell a little RC boat that could supposedly land a 1-2lb fish. Not sure I’d trust that though without a mainline tied to it
I got the idea while working at a lake that had lake trout and I didn’t have a boat. I thought “if there was only some way to get my lure out there deep enough.” Surely someone has come up with something?
Old 06-10-2024, 04:41 PM

In high school we tied a hook behind an rc boat . Figured we had just re invented the wheel .. lasted about 40 seconds until a pike slammed the hook and that was the end of our boat lol
Old 06-10-2024, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
In high school we tied a hook behind an rc boat . Figured we had just re invented the wheel .. lasted about 40 seconds until a pike slammed the hook and that was the end of our boat lol
Yeah but I bet it was cool lol
Old 06-10-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
If the boat was designed to drop the lure when you want that would be cool.
Old 06-10-2024, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yeah but I bet it was cool lol
Hahha Yahh we had envisioned dragging some real lunkers back to shore alright .. haha didn’t quite go as planned
Old 06-11-2024, 12:24 PM

Default You're gonna need a bigger boat

It probably went something like this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ha-Ud0nIKQ

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-11-2024, 02:24 PM

Unless the law has changed in the last couple years....its illegal to use a drone for scouting, recovery, or communication purposes related to hunting and fishing. That's why you don't see a lot of drone footage on fishing/hunting videos.
Used to be a $3000 fine.....
Old 06-11-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Unless the law has changed in the last couple years....its illegal to use a drone for scouting, recovery, or communication purposes related to hunting and fishing. That's why you don't see a lot of drone footage on fishing/hunting videos.
I have read it in the hunting regs but cannot find it in the fishing regs.
Did a quick google and there are a ton of drone fishing videos.
WDF
Old 06-11-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Didn’t know it included fishing
Old 06-11-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Didn’t know it included fishing
It used to for sure....know a guy who had his drone confiscated and the fine was threatened by the F&W officer. This was several years ago....4 or 5 maybe.

There are a lot of Canadian fishing videos where the drone footage does not include any actual fishing....obviously there are lots of places where it's not an issue either way too.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
That's if you're using for hunting...and the fine is bigger if you are.

"hunt any wildlife with or from an aircraft, or communicate, for the purpose of hunting, the signs or whereabouts of wildlife seen during a flight on an aircraft, including the use of unmanned aerial vehicles. "

I never use it for that. I bought it for antler hunting because I'm a bit crippled up and I fly over fields. Got the idea for fishing from videos. Never flew it out far to drop a lure, too afraid of a boat running over it. I just fly it to put it in spots I can't physically get to. Thats what I like!
Old 06-12-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:

"hunt any wildlife with or from an aircraft, or communicate, for the purpose of hunting, the signs or whereabouts of wildlife seen during a flight on an aircraft, including the use of unmanned aerial vehicles. "

I never use it for that. I bought it for antler hunting because I'm a bit crippled up and I fly over fields. Got the idea for fishing from videos. Never flew it out far to drop a lure, too afraid of a boat running over it. I just fly it to put it in spots I can't physically get to. Thats what I like!
I'm assuming the concern and fines only come into play when there's an open season in the area of flight. Can you still use them to scout areas in the off season?
Old 06-12-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Im well aware of the hunting rules. The F&W officer said it applied to fishing in this case as well. Buddy was in his boat flying the drone over shallow weed beds then casting into them.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cuz1 View Post
I'm assuming the concern and fines only come into play when there's an open season in the area of flight. Can you still use them to scout areas in the off season?
Flat out illegal to use a drone for hunting purposes. It's a grey area because I don't think they mention outside of hunting season, just says during the hunt. Hubs and I have debated this very thing. I just don't do it.
Old 06-12-2024, 07:31 PM

Default And...

The drone laws of Canada prohibit drone use carrying any live animal, including worms I would imagine. I fish with lures or I fly fish. You also cannot fly in National & Provincial parks, big fine! Just finished going in the mountains for a fossil hunt, left the drone at home.

There isn't a single mention of drones in the fishing regulations. If a F&W officer tried ticketing me, I would challenge that in court.

Last edited by Glas Ó Cairealláin; 06-12-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup, many anglers use them to film their shows while fishing or moving around to get good footage.
Just gotta stay on top of regs/laws regarding flying them in areas you want to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...