Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 10:45 AM

Default Ruger #1 Tropical

Pics for attention. Flashback to 1984, when I still had dark hair and hiking all day with a heavy gun came easy! I bought a Ruger #1 Tropical 375H&H and shot one elk with it and then it became a safe queen for 40 years. Im thinking of selling it and wondering what the approximate value would be. Online searches seem to vary from $800-$1800 so I'm wondering if any AOers have a better idea. Bluing is in excellent condition, stock has some nicks and scratches from hunting and it is magnaported. PS- Still have the elk!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1984 bull.jpg (36.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (16.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:08 AM

Check the Prophet River website under rifle.consignment. also Ellwood Epps website used rifles. Fwiw....my guess $2000 to $2600. Have not seen any No 1 under $1400 for a long time.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:10 AM

I like#1s but the 375 chambering is not going to help the resale a whole bunch. Dangerous game cartridge in a single shot will limit the audience. Ruger still makes the rifle but iit is limited production and pretty much a special order item.

Prophet River has a couple for sale in their consignment rifles. They are listed higher than the range you are talking. Might want to call Clay and see if he is interested in selling it for you. They offer a great deal on consignments, basically free if you apply the sale price to purchases from them, or at least that was the way they did it a while back.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:16 AM

A riend had a 375 Ruger he was trying to sell.
I talked to Prophet River and they said they can't get enough 375s in and it would move quickly.
Best part is no commision if you spend the money in their store.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:26 AM

thanks for the feedback gents!
Old 04-03-2024, 11:59 AM

The market for a 375 single won't be large , but if you consign it with Prophet River , I would think that a buyer willing to pay $2000 will come along.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:36 PM

I do find it hard to believe some of the prices I see on the #1's and 1885's these days. Granted that the new ones are 2200 or so now, but folk are asking more than retail for guns that sold for 14-1500 10 yrs ago and 2k 4 yrs ago. Maybe some had some upgrade work done, but, not willing to pay that for them. The days of buying one to get an action certainly seem to be gone.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:31 PM

If you're stuck on that $800 number, I'll give you that...
Old 04-03-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
If you're stuck on that $800 number, I'll give you that...
825, just to help out. 😁
Old 04-03-2024, 08:08 PM

One in auction right now at 1700.00 so far.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:45 AM

I have bought and sold a number of these.
Going price right now is based on condition
$2000 perfect with nice wood
To $1500 with scratches and plain wood
Hope that helps
Old 04-04-2024, 06:57 AM

How long do you guys think something should take to sell?
How many strangers do you want to be coming to your house looking at the gun?
I see stuff advertised forever. I think some of the sellers have a if someone is dumb enough to pay me this much I will sell it attitude.
If its been for sale a month and no buyer the price is obviously to high.
So far I believe the gun is worth $825 because that is what someone actually offered you but you will probably get more offers if you offer it for sale to highest bidder. Have a non formal auction on here with a close date in a week. Have members make public offers . if highest bidder doesn't come through with payment therm publicly shame him or her on here and offer to second highest bidder.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
I have bought and sold a number of these.
Going price right now is based on condition
$2000 perfect with nice wood
To $1500 with scratches and plain wood
Hope that helps
What would you personally give him for the gun right now?
Old 04-04-2024, 07:18 AM

#1's that are priced at $1,500 usually sell pretty fast.
Those that are priced at $2,000 and more generally take a bit longer unless they are in a desirable chambering like 257 Bob or .303 Brit. Most are 1A's not Tropicals however .

As far as strangers coming to my house window shopping, I have never experienced that , but I have had several pick up riflrs at my house.
The vast majority of rifles I have sold over the years ( many of them #1's ) have been online.
Cat
Old 04-04-2024, 07:37 AM

I used to buy and sell many firearms every year online, but the requests by some people for more and more pictures got annoying, and shipping became more difficult and expensive. And with scams being more and more common, I decided to just list future firearms with Prophet River, where they would advertise them, deal with offers, and handle the shipping. The end result is that I usually received more for my firearms, with less effort or risk on my part. Then I use the credit in store and pay no commission.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:04 AM

Thanks to everyone for their insight and suggestions. Always appreciate the comments from fellow enthusiasts! I'm still on the fence about parting with my #1 but if I do I'll likely go the Prophet River route. That way I'll have some store credit towards another rifle I don't need!
Old 04-04-2024, 09:11 AM

Sorry to butt in but FIL has ruger #1 and Id say its in pretty decent condition....however I could be wrong on order but it looks based on the barrel that it was a 300win then a 300h&h and final chambering is 300 Weatherby.

Im sure these multiple chamberings will plummet the value but what are we thinking?
Old 04-04-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I used to buy and sell many firearms every year online, but the requests by some people for more and more pictures got annoying, and shipping became more difficult and expensive. And with scams being more and more common, I decided to just list future firearms with Prophet River, where they would advertise them, deal with offers, and handle the shipping. The end result is that I usually received more for my firearms, with less effort or risk on my part. Then I use the credit in store and pay no commission.
It would probably take me a day to drive to prophet river and another day to drive home.
I have never tried to mail a rifle. Years ago I had a new rifle shipped from States and it was awful. I had to personally drive to central not local but central post office and show them my FAC before they would even ship the rifle to my local post office. Plus why would they not just hand over my rifle to me after I drove all the way in there to show them my FAC but they wouldn't.
I guess gun shops closer than prophet river would also sell on consignment.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
Sorry to butt in but FIL has ruger #1 and Id say its in pretty decent condition....however I could be wrong on order but it looks based on the barrel that it was a 300win then a 300h&h and final chambering is 300 Weatherby.

Im sure these multiple chamberings will plummet the value but what are we thinking?
I suspect most people would want an original chambering and probably one smaller than a 300 mag
Old 04-04-2024, 10:50 AM

You want to move it fast, price in the $1700 range. You want to sit on it for a month or more then price it over $2000. That is in great shape, no marks, good wood, anything less expect $1400 or less.

For what ever reason these are getting premium $$ on the used market, or some think they should.

I just recently picked up a new 2019 model at a dealer that has probably sat on it since then, and they were willing to even move on the price to get it gone. I didn't complain on that one. Laminate stock, stainless model. Got this premium model for less than some are trying to sell used models at, so it makes no sense to me.