Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2007, 09:52 PM
jrs

I've encountered very minor issues with the tikka bolt being tight with certain factory ammunition (only 1 box). Still worked fine, worried me and i had to consult a gun nut to be safe.

Great discussion on bullets, energy, etc! I feel lack of knowledge along those lines leads to a significant portion of lost animals (i feel the numbers equal to the amount hit and never tracked because a miss is assumed). The one doe my brother downed this year had a previous bullet wound on the neck near the spine. I have shot deer in the exact same spot with a 270WSM, 270, and 303 British and in all three instances the hole and resulting blood was way more significant than what this shot did (all three of mine also collapsed on impact). I am convinced it was a FMJ or a very small caliber as it was a pass through but the exit hole was about the same size as the entrance. I have come accross two deer on that property in the past two seasons that were shot and not recovered, both in fairly thick brush, and both with similar wounds (no big exit whatsoever, coyotes had them chewed up pretty good but it was apparent how they died). Its likely a few bad apples but it may end up wrecking it for all of us. Some guy even shot one with a 22-250 a few years back, hard to proove but he was bragging it up.