Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Default The other side of the opioid crisis

As a loved one of a pain sufferer and ex addict, this concerns me. My loved one needed the pain relief desperately, I don't see him surviving without it. Tough times when the media bites, and everyone blames pharma. The issue is far more complex than what is being portrayed by the media right now.

https://medicinehatnews.com/news/loc...ng-pushed-out/

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-18-2019, 10:35 AM

The lack of comments is deafening.

As pathetic as the medical system's solution to the opioid crisis is the public's submission to authority....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-18-2019, 10:56 AM

It unfortunate that people who actually need pain relief are having a difficult time getting the medications they need. I know this from experience, before I had the discectomy on a disk in my lower back the opioid based drugs where the only ones that made the pain bearable.

I hope your loved one is able to get the medication that require. Perhaps a referral to a chronic pain clinic may help.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:29 AM

I use them daily. Chronic pain issues and I stay very active, super active. Without opioids my days would be grim. Never had a high in my life, strictly for pain.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 AM

Ruptured 4 discs in a quad accident, those pills made me loopy as hell, glad I was only on them briefly.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:48 AM
Banned

Isn't that the way government and sheeple work?
It like firearms, blame the in-animate object...not the issues which cause a segment of the population to abuse them.
Hope it works out for you.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:38 AM

I have had a herniated disk in my lower back that locked up my back solid for several days. Pain was absolutely unbearable. Curled up in the fetal position, sweating from pain, and terrified that I might not be able to stand up at all - it was the worst situation I have been in personally.

I am not a drug addict and don't do recreational drugs - but I can tell you from experience that I would have done ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING to relieve that pain. I can truly feel for those who suffer that level of pain for months on end. Taking away the doctors ability to use those meds seems ridiculous to me.

At least having a doctor who can monitor and prescribe as necessary you would have a fail safe. The alternative is that people will get those pain meds any way they can. I would have...

Opiods are the very best pain reliever that we have - they just need to be controlled and monitored closely to prevent the abuses that come.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Roy Green on AM 770 has run a number of episodes addressing the idiocy of making chronic pain sufferers pay the price as a result of the current epidemic. Some real cowards out there making decisions.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 PM

My favourite podcast is Weird Medicine with Dr. Steve (he's always on Opie and Howard Stern on XM). He works hospice down in Tennessee. At least down there it's gotten to the point that most doctors are scared to prescribe opiates. Some downright refuse to because they don't want to end up on a federal watch list.

The WHO lists several opiates in their list of essential medicines for national health agencies. It's a shame that corporate greed has destroyed the most effective pain medicine out there. If it hadn't been marketed so aggressively in the '90s with misleading and omissive literature, things wouldn't be this bad now.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:14 PM

I take Tramadol twice daily and Oxy as needed up to four pills a day. I haven't had any issue getting it from the doc or pharmacy.
I only take the oxy on an as needed basis. There are days that I wouldn't be able to work without it.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 PM

Many years ago, I tore my ACL, MCL, PCL, and meniscus, all at once in a sports accident. No ligaments were salvagable. Multiple major surgeries, ligaments and meniscus were removed. My hamstring was cut, unfolded, and threaded through holes drilled in my bones, and then screwed into my bones to secure it. I was in insane pain. My leg was nearly twice the size of the other due to swelling. I was bedridden for a month before I could even try crutches. T4's did absolutely nothing for me. Got put on a back and forth regimine of oxycodone and oxycontin. That is some real powerful stuff. Luckily never got hooked, but I know how easy it would be. I remember giggling about how amazingly delicious plain corn flakes tasted. I would sit there for an hour just giggling. I hate corn flakes....

Last edited by bloopbloob; 05-24-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
As a loved one of a pain sufferer and ex addict, this concerns me. My loved one needed the pain relief desperately, I don't see him surviving without it. Tough times when the media bites, and everyone blames pharma. The issue is far more complex than what is being portrayed by the media right now.
I feel for you on this and I agree that the swing on control has gone to far.

It just took a couple of bad doctors to make this happen which is very unfortunate as the impact on the controls is to people needing pain management assistance through strong meds. Is this an unintended consequence or something that the College of Physicians are saying we can sacrifice the few? If the latter that is not good.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Many years ago, I tore my ACL, MCL, PCL, and meniscus, all at once in a sports accident. No ligaments were salvagable. Multiple major surgeries, ligaments and meniscus were removed. My hamstring was cut, unfolded, and threaded through holes drilled in my bones, and then screwed into my bones to secure it. I was in insane pain. My leg was nearly twice the size of the other due to swelling. I was bedridden for a month before I could even try crutches. T4's did absolutely nothing for me. Got put on a back and forth regimine of oxycodone and oxycontin. That is some real powerful stuff. Luckily never got hooked, but I know how easy it would be. I remember giggling about how amazingly delicious plain corn flakes tasted. I would sit there for an hour just giggling. I hate corn flakes....
I need pain killers just reading this post
Old 05-24-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
I need pain killers just reading this post
Not trying to make this about my story at all. But man, the pain was on another level. Doctor said that type of damage was on a pain chart he had, over and above childbirth and gunshot wound pain. I needed it. I don't know what I may have done without the oxy's. It was absolutely terrible pain. Standard drugs didn't even make a dent. Before the hamstring surgery, basically the only thing holding my leg together at the knee was skin.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 05-24-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:56 PM

CBD helps some but now the government is eye balling it. Prices have gotten to the point that a lot of people can't afford it...Typical Government find something that works...BAN it...
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I take Tramadol twice daily and Oxy as needed up to four pills a day. I haven't had any issue getting it from the doc or pharmacy.
I only take the oxy on an as needed basis. There are days that I wouldn't be able to work without it.
Same here, when i told the story... explaining i couldnt get them perscribed and bought them illegally i was labelled an addict. Oh well, difference between being able to walk and work, or suffer....