Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
haha...corn is in a lot of commercial trout feed for aquaculture...and begin the debate!
if you saw the ducks, oh my.... I always thought the corn debate wasn't the meat of the corn but that little husk bit that would get stuck in the trouts throat,,, I'm sure Monsanto has genetically modified a huskless peaches & cream variety ,,, ugh, I just can't even think of peaches & cream & corn & ducks & septic, the brown gold,,, eesh, sad I brought it up, almost literally.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
ground into dust and mixed with digestible alternatives no doubt !
nope just the corn gluten meal...who fishes with corn anyhow besides my hillbilly in-laws...marshmallows and corn are staples for them at the trout pond...
Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
nope just the corn gluten meal...who fishes with corn anyhow besides my hillbilly in-laws...marshmallows and corn are staples for them at the trout pond...
I'm against clown bait,,, though the other day I needed something to keep my droopy worms on the hook and to brighten up the presentation,, so I dug deep into the tacklebox of oddities and found some old, stale marshmallows, and did wonders until they just dissolved away, so then i transposed the bait holding marshmallows with a tiny bright red ribbon which made the fishing even better. Also found a huge balsa plug from eons ago.

As for the reg revisions,, I don't go for the Walleye tag thing or Walleye for that matter and I'm not sure why nobody has brought it up??? So some people can go for tags before they're even issued? Is this normal????
Old 06-27-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
them cornhole contests down there are hillarious....they take is very serioulsy.

Ty ive gutted trout full of big snails...can they deal with them?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM

me too, especially trout in the southern part of the province seem to love them for some reason. Trout have an enzyme that helps to break down stuff like exoskeletons and such but is most useful for digesting things like nymphs and such. Snails on the other hand are sometimes digested and sometimes not. It really just depends on how long it sits in the gut. Once the trap door is broken down, or the snail dies, the digestive enzymes can get to it. Otherwise, there are instances of snails being consumed and passed and the snail is still alive on the other end. Some guys did a study where they fed rainbow's an exclusive diet of an invasive snails to see if they could be used as a natural control. The problem was the trout would eat them no problem but end up full of snails, and only a percentage would actually be consumed. The trout ended up losing weight overtime because of it. So as an exclusive diet they are garbage, but they can still digest the odd one. And yes the shell is passed through no problem.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
me too, especially trout in the southern part of the province seem to love them for some reason. Trout have an enzyme that helps to break down stuff like exoskeletons and such but is most useful for digesting things like nymphs and such. Snails on the other hand are sometimes digested and sometimes not. It really just depends on how long it sits in the gut. Once the trap door is broken down, or the snail dies, the digestive enzymes can get to it. Otherwise, there are instances of snails being consumed and passed and the snail is still alive on the other end. Some guys did a study where they fed rainbow's an exclusive diet of an invasive snails to see if they could be used as a natural control. The problem was the trout would eat them no problem but end up full of snails, and only a percentage would actually be consumed. The trout ended up losing weight overtime because of it. So as an exclusive diet they are garbage, but they can still digest the odd one. And yes the shell is passed through no problem.
interesting...thank you
Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM

I found proof that corn can be deadly to rainbow trout.

Quote:
Blah blah blaa bla .... a small kernel of corn can't be passed by a trout .....blah blah blah.

It would be helpful for public support if AFGA would link the research behind resolutions such as the Corn Hole Ban.

TyreeM, got any studies on the topic you can share?

A quick google led to this study abstract. While not a Cornhole concern, evidence is showing that corn products can be toxic to Rainbow trout.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...44848610008227

Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is extremely sensitive to the feed-borne Fusarium mycotoxin deoxynivalenol (DON)

Quote:
Deoxynivalenol (DON), a Fusarium mycotoxin, is a major contaminant of cereal grains worldwide. The effects of feeding six diets containing low, graded levels of DON from two naturally contaminated sources of corn on the performance, health and apparent nutrient digestibility of rainbow trout were investigated. Feeding diets with increasing levels of DON (0.3, 0.8, 1.4, 2.0 and 2.6 ppm) for eight weeks to rainbow trout (initial weight = 24 g/fish) resulted in significant linear or quadratic decreases in feed intake, weight gain, growth rate (expressed as thermal-unit growth coefficient, TGC), feed efficiency (FE, gain:feed), retained nitrogen (RN), recovered energy (RE), energy retention efficiency (ERE), and nitrogen retention efficiency (NRE). Fish pair-fed the control diet (0.3 ppm DON) had significantly higher TGC (P < 0.01), FE (P < 0.0001) and whole body crude protein (CP) concentration (P < 0.01) compared to their counterparts fed the diet containing 2.6 ppm DON. No significant differences (P > 0.05) were observed in the apparent digestibility coefficients (ADC) of CP and gross energy (GE) of fish fed diets containing 0.3 (control) to 2.0 ppm DON. In addition, some morphological changes of the liver were noted in fish fed the diet containing 2.6 ppm DON. These results suggest that, relative to other species, rainbow trout are extremely sensitive to DON from naturally contaminated grains and that the effects of DON on rainbow trout are not simply related to a reduction of feed intake, but rather, are due to metabolic effects. More research is required to identify the specific mechanism(s) of toxicity of DON in rainbow trout.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

A quick google led to this study abstract. While not a Cornhole concern, evidence is showing that corn products can be toxic to Rainbow trout.
Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is extremely sensitive to the feed-borne Fusarium mycotoxin deoxynivalenol (DON)
Be careful with scientific literature, this was a study done to assess the use of DON contaminated corn in feed for rainbow trout in a hatchery setting. This study would be along the same lines as if you did a study to see if raw chicken meat infected with salmonella would make kids sick if they were repeatedly fed it. The corn isn't the problem, it is the infection the corn is carrying. DON infected corn can also be lethal to pigs if fed it.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Be careful with scientific literature, this was a study done to assess the use of DON contaminated corn in feed for rainbow trout in a hatchery setting. This study would be along the same lines as if you did a study to see if raw chicken meat infected with salmonella would make kids sick if they were repeatedly fed it. The corn isn't the problem, it is the infection the corn is carrying. DON infected corn can also be lethal to pigs if fed it.
Pretty sure I included enough bolding to specify that DON infected corn is the concern here. This information regarding DON is new to me. Anyone know how common DON is in corn marketed for human consumption? Where's that little green giant when you need him?

Any studies out there that show Whole kernal corn is SAFE for rainbow trout to eat?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM

I have an article somewhere around here. I tried to find it online but I can't seem to locate it. Anyhow, a biologist in the states who worked at a fish hatchery fed whole kernel corn exclusively, the trout ate it and passed it no problem - but they did not get much nutrition from it.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks TyreeUM....

Pretty quiet on the pike resolution. No one is opposed to the idea? Do you like it?

Quote:
FISHERIES RESOLUTION NUMBER F-4-2011
Northern Pike Management

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the general provincial catch limits for northern pike be changed to allow a maximum daily catch of 2 fish with no size limit restriction, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT lakes requiring special northern pike limits be established when specific biological information supports either increased or more restrictive regulation.

BRIEF: Many lakes with smaller sized pike are not being utilized. Risk to the elimination of northern pike is extremely low. Fish habitat is linked to high production years that influence pike production more than angling. Simplification of fisheries regulations would be desirable.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Nothing wrong with making a bunch of eggs, and don't forget the perogies.

An updated compilation of Stocked ponds with unwanted perch. Most of them allow a perch harvest, the rest will soon. Is the list incomplete?

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPr...t-Mar-2010.pdf
yes its incomplete, Im specifically talking about Enchant, but there are a lot more listed in the regs, under the fish stocking program. just curious where you heard that the rest will allow perch harvest soon?
"LAKES

A. For Trout-Stocked Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds in PP2 that are named under “Alberta’s Fish Stocking Program.”
Open all year – Trout limit 5; bait allowed.
All other game fish species limit 0."

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
yes its incomplete, Im specifically talking about Enchant, but there are a lot more listed in the regs, under the fish stocking program. just curious where you heard that the rest will allow perch harvest soon?
"LAKES

A. For Trout-Stocked Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds in PP2 that are named under “Alberta’s Fish Stocking Program.”
Open all year – Trout limit 5; bait allowed.
All other game fish species limit 0."
The Fisheries Roundtable amended the Unwanted Introductions of Perch into Stocked Trout Lakes in Alberta in 2009.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPr...e-Mar-2010.pdf

Quote:
Amendments (in response to issues over opportunity to harvest perch where they are available for harvest and are not wanted in the lake).

For those stocked trout lakes that already contain unwanted perch (as of 2009 and listed in table attached), perch harvests will be allowed (provincial daily limit of 15 perch unless otherwise identified) until such time as a lake management plan is developed.

There are options to provide angling opportunity for perch in the strategy in situations of low environmental risk, where perch harvests will be used as a tool to attempt to control or remove perch so they don’t jeopardise the trout fishery.
The Roundtable has even forwarded a request for $1.00 from each fishing licence to go towards the Perch problem. See the link.

People fishing Enchant should speak up to their local fish bio, get the pond on the list.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=WayneChristie;991089]WIN numbers I would agree with too, the season can change from year to year as we saw this winter.

The 2 pike limit I can agree with, although most lakes dont get enforced now as it is, are they going to hire more officers? I also like the idea of allowing harvesting a smaller size of pike, some lakes are so full of smaller pike that its almost impossible to get a lure to a bigger fish. That way the poachers can help clean up a lot of the smaller fish and leave more room for the big girls.

Why not open the trout lakes already with perch in them for perch harvest, not allowing them to be harvested does nothing to get rid of them, just allows for the perch to continue to reproduce. A lot of the ponds down south get their water from the irrigation canals so the perch get into them all by themselves, no buckets needed. Why only allow harvest from one particular pond in the province? Do we need to build giant easter eggs at all of them to allow a perch harvest????? Maybe open some to a no limit weekend once a year to help make a dent in the population.
Or even better, quit wasting money stocking trout in them and put in bass instead to help control the perch [/QUOTE

I have my fingers and toes crossed that someday more officers get hired. Poaching on both the fish and game side is getting way out of control. Among other things. That is a story for a different day.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=Flyfisher87;993136]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
WIN numbers I would agree with too, the season can change from year to year as we saw this winter.

The 2 pike limit I can agree with, although most lakes dont get enforced now as it is, are they going to hire more officers? I also like the idea of allowing harvesting a smaller size of pike, some lakes are so full of smaller pike that its almost impossible to get a lure to a bigger fish. That way the poachers can help clean up a lot of the smaller fish and leave more room for the big girls.

Why not open the trout lakes already with perch in them for perch harvest, not allowing them to be harvested does nothing to get rid of them, just allows for the perch to continue to reproduce. A lot of the ponds down south get their water from the irrigation canals so the perch get into them all by themselves, no buckets needed. Why only allow harvest from one particular pond in the province? Do we need to build giant easter eggs at all of them to allow a perch harvest????? Maybe open some to a no limit weekend once a year to help make a dent in the population.
Or even better, quit wasting money stocking trout in them and put in bass instead to help control the perch [/QUOTE

I have my fingers and toes crossed that someday more officers get hired. Poaching on both the fish and game side is getting way out of control. Among other things. That is a story for a different day.
more officers are not going to get hired by taking an additional dollar out of license fees for something else. If anything, you should be lobbying for a higher percentage of angler license fees to go back into the resource, not into the general fund...
Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=TyreeUM;993139]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post

more officers are not going to get hired by taking an additional dollar out of license fees for something else. If anything, you should be lobbying for a higher percentage of angler license fees to go back into the resource, not into the general fund...
You have a point there. Not sure what the latest figures are for the number of people that bought licenses last year. But likely not enough to have the spending room to hire more officers. I stand corrected.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

You have a point there. Not sure what the latest figures are for the number of people that bought licenses last year. But likely not enough to have the spending room to hire more officers. I stand corrected.
yeah especially when so much of that money goes to random things that have absolutely no benefit to the fishery...
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
yeah especially when so much of that money goes to random things that have absolutely no benefit to the fishery...
For sure. The sad thing about that is it is the fisheries and the wildlife resource that suffer because of it and if the resource suffers, we all suffer.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
For sure. The sad thing about that is it is the fisheries and the wildlife resource that suffer because of it and if the resource suffers, we all suffer.
Fish Cops spend too much time following up on RAP issues that are more like Steven King novels than actual wildlife offences
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Fish Cops spend too much time following up on RAP issues that are more like Steven King novels than actual wildlife offences
You hit the nail on the head there chub.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
are you talking about people burying their fish guts in the town pet cemetery and they are coming back to life?