Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Cattle farmers, ranchers, and people who are having dogs killed in their own yards sites have a reason to have a hate on for wolves. If cattle farmers in my area were complaining about wolf kills I would definatly start blasting big dogs. But until then, I will enjoy watching them. How many people on this thread live in the city and hate wolfs?
I understand that wolf populations are up, I don't see the problem with it, expecially in the parks. We should stay out of it unless its effecting your liveleyhood, let the natural cycles look after it. If there's too many of them disease or starvation will thin them out. Parks should have as little human effect as possible.
I don't understand how someone can call themselves a hunter and not appreciate our parks (i dont agree with everything they do. But the concept of keeping an area as natural as possible cant be wrong) I guess there are hunters and there are shooters.
my 2 c
Brad
very well said.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:18 PM

Default well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Cattle farmers, ranchers, and people who are having dogs killed in their own yards sites have a reason to have a hate on for wolves. If cattle farmers in my area were complaining about wolf kills I would definatly start blasting big dogs. But until then, I will enjoy watching them. How many people on this thread live in the city and hate wolfs?
I understand that wolf populations are up, I don't see the problem with it, expecially in the parks. We should stay out of it unless its effecting your liveleyhood, let the natural cycles look after it. If there's too many of them disease or starvation will thin them out. Parks should have as little human effect as possible.
I don't understand how someone can call themselves a hunter and not appreciate our parks (i dont agree with everything they do. But the concept of keeping an area as natural as possible cant be wrong) I guess there are hunters and there are shooters.
my 2 c
Brad
intelligent point of view
Old 07-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Default Jasper Wolves

Here is a picture at the trailhead. The sign went up the day of the incident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wolf Sign.JPG (184.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-22-2012, 04:31 PM

I should also mention that the dog referenced on the sign, that was killed and eaten, was killed last summer/fall. This year's "attack" happend early June i think the 6th.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I usually cheer for the wolves lol. I've been followed By them a few times, not real worried though, they did the cut back trick but when there is multiple in the trees you didn't pick up and they're howling on 3 sides of you kinda makes the skin crawl. But I felt they were just being curious as to what I was doing on their turf, so I did the outdoors version of throwing up gang signs peed on the trail and carried on, had one in the chamber if they decided to get too friendly.

As for the dogs, losing a family friend isn't fun.
20 yrs and I`ve neede to shoot 1 old lobo,it only gets scarey in winter after the wolves run out of hunter almost misses they clean up.then the elk move in bigtime for the protection of humankind, then I get 2 packs,1 on either side of here. geuss the border for their turff is right next to me,there`s a sound for you.3 wolves getting worked up to kill a single one. when I got there the 3 went south, an the single one staggered off to the west.Even a mile away the fur on me curles when they call out.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Unreal.....she pepper sprayed a grouse!!!!!!!!!

That is funny...and maybe the start of something really tasty.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM

We were in Jasper last Nov when a woman walking her dog off leash lost it to a wolf...(or assumed as the dog took off and did not come back). There has been wolf activity up on Pyramid Bench since last fall and folks have been warned over and over again... do not walk you dog off leash up on the Pyramid Bench area. But they still do and then when the wolves give chase... they whine and cry all over their poor puppy.

We were in Jasper in the early part of July, PC stills has the warning out for Pyramid Bench and wolves, how many people were up there running and walking their dogs off leash? We saw at least a dozen or so pups running off leash.

With the amount of elk and mulies up there, it's no wonder that a pack has moved in to the area... dinner isn't that hard to find and desserts are the small/medium sized dogs off leash.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post
We were in Jasper last Nov when a woman walking her dog off leash lost it to a wolf...(or assumed as the dog took off and did not come back). There has been wolf activity up on Pyramid Bench since last fall and folks have been warned over and over again... do not walk you dog off leash up on the Pyramid Bench area. But they still do and then when the wolves give chase... they whine and cry all over their poor puppy.

We were in Jasper in the early part of July, PC stills has the warning out for Pyramid Bench and wolves, how many people were up there running and walking their dogs off leash? We saw at least a dozen or so pups running off leash.

With the amount of elk and mulies up there, it's no wonder that a pack has moved in to the area... dinner isn't that hard to find and desserts are the small/medium sized dogs off leash.

Why are there so many elk and mulies by the townsite?

Wild Ungulates seek shelter from wolves and cougars by staying close to human activity. Seems counter-intuitive for prey to seek out shelter from one predator by hanging near another predator, or is it? Many people have forgotten or never learned that Humans ARE part of Nature. The animals haven't forgotten this. It is natural for many prey species to choose a lesser evil for survival sake. The prey species have evolved through repetitious experiences over generations to expect Humans to get rid of the wolves.

Are people breaking the evolutionary "agreement" by not protecting elk, moose and deer from wolves?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Not really new

I spent a few years in Jasper as a kid. Even then we knew that if we were up on the "Bench" there were wolves, coyotes, black bears, cougars, etc. etc. We still hiked, biked, camped, and generally had fun with no bear spray, as teenagers or younger. We kept our dogs close. Even in town you generally didn't leave your dog out at night unless it was a BIG dog. The odd dog would go missing every year; mostly blamed on coyotes, but I bet a few of those were wolves.

It always amazes me on here how freaked out people get about wolves and bears doing what bears and wolves do. The mountains aren't farm land, they're wild places, with lots of real wild predators and prey. Jasper is a national park; the animals do more or less what they do, we need to broadly stay out of their way in National Parks. The problems are generally with us and our behaviour, not the animals.

Occasionally trees fall over and kill unfortunate people in our national parks. Some on here would have all the trees logged as those trees obviously don't know their place! Wolf problem? More like a bunch of scared little kids claiming to be "outdoorsmen" problem.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 AM

Default some folks should just stay in the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
I spent a few years in Jasper as a kid. Even then we knew that if we were up on the "Bench" there were wolves, coyotes, black bears, cougars, etc. etc. We still hiked, biked, camped, and generally had fun with no bear spray, as teenagers or younger. We kept our dogs close. Even in town you generally didn't leave your dog out at night unless it was a BIG dog. The odd dog would go missing every year; mostly blamed on coyotes, but I bet a few of those were wolves.

It always amazes me on here how freaked out people get about wolves and bears doing what bears and wolves do. The mountains aren't farm land, they're wild places, with lots of real wild predators and prey. Jasper is a national park; the animals do more or less what they do, we need to broadly stay out of their way in National Parks. The problems are generally with us and our behaviour, not the animals.

Occasionally trees fall over and kill unfortunate people in our national parks. Some on here would have all the trees logged as those trees obviously don't know their place! Wolf problem? More like a bunch of scared little kids claiming to be "outdoorsmen" problem.
guy who boards his horse at the same ranch camped in Banff and was incensed enough to file an official complaint (and was contemplating filing suit) because a lodgepole had the audacity to come down in the night not 10ft from his camper!

sue the park service LOL!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
guy who boards his horse at the same ranch camped in Banff and was incensed enough to file an official complaint (and was contemplating filing suit) because a lodgepole had the audacity to come down in the night not 10ft from his camper!

sue the park service LOL!
You just can't make this stuff up, thanks for the laugh.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcat View Post
surrounded eh hmmmmm. Interesting. I wonder what there motive was. That is very odd for the Alpha female to have the pack stalk you. I am sure you are aware that she is the one commanding the hunt. How many were there? I have seen singles and pairs looking for a pack stalk humans but never a full pack in a situation where food is very easy to obtain. The are very careful about there battles they pick. Did you also know that wolves will fake a packmembers death if there is a new wolf in the area looking to join a pack. They use this technique to bait in the new wolf and at the opprotune moment the "dead" wolf will ambush and kill the intruder. This is usually an instance where most attacks will happen on domestic dogs. they just do not need the drama as the would with a wolf trying to join a pack. It is funny that domestic dogs need this Pack order in the household to keep things balanced. And this is where behaviour issues come in, but this is a whole different topic.
First time i seen 3,but i think there was more cause heard them howling everywhere,n they probly taught i was a elk cause i put elk urine in heat for attracked the elk,and the second time i called them in,but there is still too many
Old 07-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post

It always amazes me on here how freaked out people get about wolves and bears doing what bears and wolves do. The mountaiZns aren't farm land, they're wild places, with lots of real wild predators and prey. Jasper is a national park; the animals do more or less what they do, we need to broadly stay out of their way in National Parks. The problems are generally with us and our behaviour, not the animals.

I like where your heads at!

Brad
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM

It happened again today. A fellow that I know was out jogging today with his dog, on leash, and a wolf grabbed the dog and took off. He chased the wolf, pepper sprayed it, grabbed his dog, and tried to get out of there. The wolf wouldn't back down, but buddy made it out to the road and jumped in a passing vehicle. When parks staff arrived, he and dog got in their vehicle, and wolf was circling vehicle. Wolf died of lead poisoning. Person and dog are OK and only have minor injuries.

Last edited by Big Bull; 10-17-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Holy crap! That's just crazy
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
Well, she was getting "Ruffed" up!

that's really bad...... but i am impressed nonetheless!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 PM

The wolf is taken care of...now they need to focus on the cougar (the animal not the one's that hang out at the bar) thats lurking around town in the dark.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
The wolf is taken care of...now they need to focus on the cougar (the animal not the one's that hang out at the bar) thats lurking around town in the dark.
I heard their was an incident. Any idea where it has been seen?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I heard their was an incident. Any idea where it has been seen?
Behind Sunwapta Apts.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:01 PM

I've been on high alert on my dog walks. Grizz have been seen in the valley as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Behind Sunwapta Apts.
Sunwapta Apts.

Is that the old Fort Point Apartments on the north side of town?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Sunwapta Apts.

Is that the old Fort Point Apartments on the north side of town?
No, there closer to the south end of town
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I've been on high alert on my dog walks. Grizz have been seen in the valley as well.
Ya...I was told there were 6 hanging at the golf course last weekend it was open.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, there closer to the south end of town
The apartments north of Lobstick Lodge are on the south side of town?

My reference is to where all the transients live.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
The apartments north of Lobstick Lodge are on the south side of town?

My reference is to where all the transients live.
No, your right about the apts your talking about.
The sunwapta's are at the south end, straight west of the Mt.Robson Inn.
Same general area and probably same cat that was in the area last year.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Laughable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcat View Post
yepp and maybee it would be safer for all if you just stayed in the big ole city
That's just laughable. Thanks I needed a good chuckle. Not to many people running around eating my dog last time I checked. And I never have nor will I live in the BIG OLE CITY. You are such a card. Awesome how you make me laugh. Thank you.