Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 PM

Default "outers" gun equipement

bought a 17 cal cleaning kit made by outers for my new savage 17hmr. I didn't buy this kit by choice as the local store had nothing else for 17 cals. I live to far to just drive to the city for such things.

anyways the kit had a 3 peice rod (I wanted a one peice but they had none) and the standard solvent oil and patches.

The 3 peice rod folded in 3 peice when I tried to clean the gun at the end of the day. I took it to the range to break it in with a box of 50 rounds. I only shot 30 rds. I cleaned it after1, 3, 5, 5, 5, etc.. when I triied to do the final clean the rod folded in 3 sections breaking at the threads. I had the patch jag on the rod when it broke in the breech. No damage to the barrel. The rod broke so easily that I was shocked. I didnt apply any force really.

The patches the kit came with were junk as well. They were so thin and tore easily. When I went to use the patch the jag poked through all the way so the patch slide all the way to the base of the jag. This happend two times in the barrel. When the patch slide ot the bottom of the jag, the jag jammed a bit so it couldn't be pushed through the barrel. Instead I had to pull the jag back out and push the jag through the muzzle to get the patch to come out of the barrel. I gave up on these patches and cut some other quality patches I had in the truck to clean the gun.

Obviously I was ****y about spending money on junk. I emailed outers using their webstie and bascially wrote what I wrote above. I also wrote that I was not going to take the kit back to the store I purchased it at because I don't want store credit as they don't really sell good quality stuff for 17 cal. I wrote in the email I just wanted them to know how I felt about their very soft metal 3 peice rod and useless patches. The fellow wrote back and told me he woudl send me a new rod and new patches free. I explained to him I don't want another 3 peice rod that is the same crap. I told him I would gladly pay him for a good 1 peice rod and good patches. He said he woudl send what he had.

I was shocked when a 1 peice 17 cal cleaning rod of much better quality showed up last week. He sent patches as a replacement, but they were the exact same patches I told him were useless and did not want. But I was pretty happy to get the good one peice rod.

So on the weekend I went to give the rod a try. The rod is 4 inches to short for my little savage 17hmr. The only way I could use this rod is to clean from the muzzle and push the patches/wool mop/brush into the reciever. Of course I am not going to use the rod for this and it will just sit on my shelf for the next 50 years.. I am wondering how the h*ll outers is thinking someone could use this rod for any gun that is standard length barrel for a rimfire let alone a 17 rem fireball or something liek that.

I emailed the guy back on friday explainining how the rod is too short and the patches are the same useless junk. The guy has not emailed me back.

I was and still am ****ed and just in shock at the customer service. Please note I paid like 30$ for the kit that is absolutely useless except the oil and solvent and I still have to buy a 17 cal 1 peice rod that is long enough for a little rimfire.

I'll never buy another outers product again.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 PM

I should add that the rod did not break becauuse it wasn't screwed together properly. I take my time and do things properly.

I also did not have to pay for the 1 peice rod outers sent to try to remedy the situation.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
I should add that the rod did not break becauuse it wasn't screwed together properly. I take my time and do things properly.

I also did not have to pay for the 1 peice rod outers sent to try to remedy the situation.
Their 3 piece rods are junk, pure and simple.
Cat
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM

The .17 one piece rod they sent you was likely intended for an air rifle.
Shorter barrels and easier access.

I also find their patches too thin.

After running thru a bunch of 'less expensive' cleaning gear, I finally clued in that saving a few bucks on rods and bore guides wasn't worth it.

I also found that the best way to get the proper stuff was ordering it, as it's hard to find in the likely stores. It isn't a problem from the US shipping wise and $'s deals are plenty.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findal View Post
The .17 one piece rod they sent you was likely intended for an air rifle.
Shorter barrels and easier access.

I also find their patches too thin.

After running thru a bunch of 'less expensive' cleaning gear, I finally clued in that saving a few bucks on rods and bore guides wasn't worth it.

I also found that the best way to get the proper stuff was ordering it, as it's hard to find in the likely stores. It isn't a problem from the US shipping wise and $'s deals are plenty.
I put the 1 peice rod against my .22 air rifle and the barrel is actually longer on the air rifle than it is on the 17 hmr. I am sure it would fit most air rifles though.

Like I said I didn't want to buy the kit with the 3 peice rod from outers, but Ihad no choice. I will start to look on line for some stuff, thanks for the tip
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 AM

Bore snake, or Otis kits work good. With the Otis kits you have to be careful to use the right pinch point or the patch will get stuck in the barrel.

Its hard to find stuff to clean the HMR. Luckily they like being dirty and I might clean mine once a year.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 AM

dewey or better only!
take the aluminum 3 peice and throw it as far as you can, then walk over to it and throw it again.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM

On candian gun nuts I found a guy who posted how to clean the hmr with a weed whacker string.

you cut the weed whacker string a little longer then the barrel and breech. Then you heat the tip of one end until it is soft, then you push the soft tip against something flat to make the tip mushroom. Then you let it cool and harden, trim the mushroom just smaller then the 17 barrel. Trim the other end of the string to a point. Than to use you poke a patch thruough the pointed end, push the patch down on to the mushroom, shove the pointed end into the breech and out the muzzle, then pull the patch through the barrel. I tried this and it worked great to clean with just a patch. Don't have to mess with rods, jags etc..
Old 04-27-2011, 02:26 PM

I use the weed wacker line method on my airguns. The patches and cleaner do fine on lead build up, and there's not so much copper fouling on an airgun. You'll probably still want a cleaning rod and guide to get rid of the copper...

Just be darn sure to pull it straight out, without hitting the crown.
Think of the metal fishing rod guides and nylon line making a groove in them after time.
Be sure to clean the line of all grit too, that can really make it abrasive.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
dewey or better only!
take the aluminum 3 peice and throw it as far as you can, then walk over to it and throw it again.
Cat and Roger are 100% correct. Top quality results are almost never the outcome of short cuts or substandard equiipment. When we look at how much money we tie up in a gun let alone a number of guns, $40 for a top notch cleaning rod, and the price of a good bore guide is a very minor investment. String, Bore snakes, wire portable cleaners and the like are intended for one purpose, emrgency field use, where carry room is an issue.

For quality cleaning and top notch protection of the firearm, one piece quality rods and good fitting bore guides, along with a good technigue that limits flexing of the rod and a return stroke that protects the crown, can't be beat.

Sorry about your experience with Outers, but their whole line is basically junk, and often costs as much as the quality products out there. If you can't get a refund, chalk it up to experience and go with the top end stuff, even if you have to wait for it to come by parcel post. MO.