Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Default Bear Defense

Hey guys, looking between 2 shotguns at WS: Remington 20gauge 18" $450 ish and a Mossberg500 12gauge 18.5" at $550 ish. I like both but a hundred bucks can go to other uses. Will a 20 gauge slug take down a big bear when in dire straits? Or will I be better off with the 12 gauge? It will be carried for long hikes and backpacking trips so I want to shed as much weight as possible.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM

12g

The topic has been beaten to death
Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM

do a search as there's some great threads on this 12g as said above.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 PM

12ga ammo is cheap, 20ga very seldom comes on sale at close range either one should be fine.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 PM

If you're in cowtown, drive 5 minutes from WSS to the Shooter's Choice and get a Maverick 88 in 12ga. identical to the Mossberg but about $200 cheaper. Carried mine out the door for $261, after taxes. I guess that would be $300 cheaper. Same gun as the Mossberg, save your money!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
If you're in cowtown, drive 5 minutes from WSS to the Shooter's Choice and get a Maverick 88 in 12ga. identical to the Mossberg but about $200 cheaper. Carried mine out the door for $261, after taxes. I guess that would be $300 cheaper. Same gun as the Mossberg, save your money!
Whole sale carries the mavericks as well, I bought mine on the south side of Edmonton for $241 after tax, but mine is the 28 inch barrel, They carry the 18.5 inch also, but I don't know if you can get it with the pistol grip, but I think you can! Save your money, the maverick is perfect for the application you want to use it for! And it's made by mossberg!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
12g

The topic has been beaten to death
I agree totally , however I have heard bad stories about the mossbergs and shooting slugs where they jammed up after the first shot and now you are stuck with a $300 club instead of a shotgun ,, I like my Rem. 870 EXPRESS and believe I got what Ipaid for , IMO..

Last edited by H380; 04-25-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Any of the 12ga would likely be the best. As for a 20 ga I know a guy that wouldnt even shoot pheasants with a 20 ga, and he gets his digs in on guys every year who ask for permission to retrieve their wounded 20ga shot bird.

H380 knows who I am talking about. No offense to anyone who shoots a 20 ga, just an inside joke.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 PM

Default gun

How far are you shooting a bear? Under 15ft feet a 410 would stop one. As for shell cost how many bears are you defending against? I wouldn't feel under gunned with even some number 4 lead 20gauge shells at under 15ft. The gun is the last defense, how many people actually have used their defenders for killing a charging bear? I carry buck shot in mine because who has time to aim when a bears running at you. I have a 12 gauge to pack into bear baits but wouldn't think twice about a 20 gauge. If you need a 12 gauge for the range fish and wildlife would like to know the reason for shooting a bear at 30yrds that was bluff charging you.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
How far are you shooting a bear? Under 15ft feet a 410 would stop one. As for shell cost how many bears are you defending against? I wouldn't feel under gunned with even some number 4 lead 20gauge shells at under 15ft. The gun is the last defense, how many people actually have used their defenders for killing a charging bear? I carry buck shot in mine because who has time to aim when a bears running at you. I have a 12 gauge to pack into bear baits but wouldn't think twice about a 20 gauge. If you need a 12 gauge for the range fish and wildlife would like to know the reason for shooting a bear at 30yrds that was bluff charging you.
Id still like to have the 12ga as you described in the 2 scenarios mentioned before in sub 15ft range.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
How far are you shooting a bear? Under 15ft feet a 410 would stop one. As for shell cost how many bears are you defending against? I wouldn't feel under gunned with even some number 4 lead 20gauge at under 15ft. The guns the last defense how many people actually have used their defenders for killing a charging bear. I carry buck shot in mine because who has time to aim when a bears running at you. If you need a 12 gauge for range fish and wildlife would like to know the reason for shooting a bear at 30yrds threatening you.
All your statements are true ,, vey few of us have or ever will need a gun for this type of self defence .. As for the range involved in a possible need for it , when I asked my nieghborhood F&W officer about taking the plug out or extending the mag to add a couple more shells his response .... " I wouldn't bother with either , why? First you may run into a young warden trying to make a NAME FOR HIMSELF saying your aren't really using that for self defence and are just hunting with it , Second , if a bear does charge from close quarters you will be lucky to get off the second and maybe third shot before he's on top of you .." This comes from a warden who has had those very encounters . My shotty on my back will hopefully never get put to the test , it does however give me some peace of mind ..
Old 04-25-2011, 10:39 PM

Smile Prayer?

Carry what ever you like and trust in prayer, or NOT.

We are speaking about bears right!?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
All your statements are true ,, vey few of us have or ever will need a gun for this type of self defence .. As for the range involved in a possible need for it , when I asked my nieghborhood F&W officer about taking the plug out or extending the mag to add a couple more shells his response .... " I wouldn't bother with either , why? First you may run into a young warden trying to make a NAME FOR HIMSELF saying your aren't really using that for self defence and are just hunting with it , Second , if a bear does charge from close quarters you will be lucky to get off the second and maybe third shot before he's on top of you .." This comes from a warden who has had those very encounters . My shotty on my back will hopefully never get put to the test , it does however give me some peace of mind ..
I have never used more than two shells on a bear, but they were at the same time!
A SXS is what I used to use, and I have killed a few at spitting distance!
Two triggers, and short barrels for real close stuff when you are in the bottoms chasing those danged things.
I doubt very much a pump with the plug out will do you much good , if you miss him with the first, he's likely on top of you!
Cat
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have never used more than two shells on a bear, but they were at the same time!
Two triggers, and short barrels for real close stuff when you are in the bottoms chasing those danged things.
I doubt very much a pump with the plug out will do you much good , if you miss him with the first, he's likely on top of you!
Cat
That's what I was getting at ..
Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
That's what I was getting at ..
I doubt very much if the "black shotty/flashlight rail/ extended mag , pistol grip " bunch will listen however!
Cat
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
:sha_sarcasticlol: I doubt very much if the "black shotty/flashlight rail/ extended mag , pistol grip " bunch will listen however!
Cat
too funny !!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Cat
Like your way of thinking....

No this isn't mine but I'm thinking of getting one just like it for the camper.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:40 AM

For the price the steoger stainless coachgun in 12 or 20 make ideal camp/ bear defense guns. They're short, light, quick, and reliable. Had mine in 20ga for a couple years now, no issues. Wouldn't feel undergunned if thats all I had on hand.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Default maverick

after guiding bears for five years i have relied on my maverick 12 gauge day in and day out. Got the 18.5 " barrel. I alternate buckshot and slugs in the tube. Needless to say it has done its job for me when ive been in a jam. Nuff said.

Gilly
Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM

I hacksawed off the barrels on my old Steven's SXS and got a royal lickin' from my old man. It turned out to be the best rabbit gun ever, close in there was lots of rabbit left and there wasn't any long shots anyway. I carried that with me as a travelling mechanic in the Arctic years ago. When it comes to a working defense and survival gun they are dandy and fold up nice when wrapped in a blanket for throwing on a DC3.

One other note. Nothing is more persuasive to the two legged predator than a SXS. SXS appears and negotiations start, usually of the "runaway" variety.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
I hacksawed off the barrels on my old Steven's SXS and got a royal lickin' from my old man. It turned out to be the best rabbit gun ever, close in there was lots of rabbit left and there wasn't any long shots anyway. I carried that with me as a travelling mechanic in the Arctic years ago. When it comes to a working defense and survival gun they are dandy and fold up nice when wrapped in a blanket for throwing on a DC3.

One other note. Nothing is more persuasive to the two legged predator than a SXS. SXS appears and negotiations start, usually of the "runaway" variety.
Yup, 311's were what I used as well.
Bill Jordan , for those that are old enough to know that name, called the SXS "the old equalizer".
Cat
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Default S&W .44mag Backpackers Special?

A lot of folks in Alaska carry these for bear protection. Not heard of it being popular here, but like to hear more. Any shops here even carry these?

BTW, I'd concur with the other comments, almost anything is better than nothing at close range really, but I'd go 12g. if I had a choice.

what I'd do before that is ensure I had a bear proofed camp and behaved responsibly in bear country. JMHO
Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

you guys count on your firearm to much. if a bear attack happens your gonna have a milisecond to think about it. chances are you will not get a shot off. a bear isnt going to just let you walk up on it. if it knows you (human) are there its going to scatter. and if you happen to walk up on it and it does charge good luck raising a rifle. spend 200$ on a set of good bowie knives you can carry on each hip. but for peice of mind and if it helps you... get the shortest 12 gauge you can find with 00 buckshot
Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbone raised View Post
you guys count on your firearm to much. if a bear attack happens your gonna have a milisecond to think about it. chances are you will not get a shot off. a bear isnt going to just let you walk up on it. if it knows you (human) are there its going to scatter. and if you happen to walk up on it and it does charge good luck raising a rifle. spend 200$ on a set of good bowie knives you can carry on each hip. but for peice of mind and if it helps you... get the shortest 12 gauge you can find with 00 buckshot
rest done .