Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Default Timney Trigger?

Hey guys just wanted your opinion on something. I have a savage model 111 in a 30-06 and absolutely hate the trigger! have any of you had any experience with timney triggers? I see on their website that they are adjustable down to 2 pounds and are not that expensive.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM

They are great triggers, I have a couple on my target 98 Mausers, you can set them to break clean and crisp like glass! Well worth the money.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM

I replaced a 1970s Rem700 trigger that was gunsmith-tuned to 2# with a Timney which is set at 1.5#.

The improvement is not all that noticeable, maybe 10%-15% in the quality of the break. I would say that both triggers do not give the shooter a definite sense of exactly where the break will occur. You have to keep pulling it back as you maintain as small a hold pattern as possible and it will go off when it goes off.

If you want a more refined break point, look into the more expensive Jewell trigger.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:40 PM

In a Savage forget the Timney and get the Sharp Shooter Supply 'competition' trigger for $97 , its excellenthttp://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

(I aggree that the Timney Mauser 98 trigger is great, however)
Old 04-25-2011, 03:51 PM

it says on the site that there might be some adjustment required to the trigger guard on that. did u have to adjust yours at all?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Default Timney trigger

As you all know, Ruger has one of the heaviest triggers on the market, about 9 lbs. I replaced mine on my Mark 2 with the timney. I now have a glass tigger about 3 lbs, unmeasurable travel.
Breaks like an icle. You will not be sorry. Very easy to install, adjust, and use. Have fun.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
it says on the site that there might be some adjustment required to the trigger guard on that. did u have to adjust yours at all?
Yes, I had to file about 1mm off the front of the slot where the trigger protrudes down ino the guard. Installation of the trigger is easy.

HOWEVER - My trigger is about 3lbs. I will not take it lower without a smith, this is my caveat. (lower weights are easy to achive however)

The way the trigger works is it uses a 'rocker arm' type feature between the trigger and sear which means you can have a good safe amount of sear enagagment.

Its a great tigger.....
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM

gettin one put in my sav 111 right now, ill post when i try it out
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM

I have a savage 111 FCPX chambered in .270. You know what? The trigger is excellent. Oh sure, it's pretty heavy from the factory. If you take your stock off and adjust that little round screw which the tension bar spring is loaded into you can easily lower it to around 3lbs. I've drop tested mine extensively and it's great!

Keep in mind this is the same trigger the Savage 110 (111) have had for ages and it's always been good. It's only gotten a bad rap as it has recently complied with the trend to be 'lawyer proof'. It's still an adjustable trigger and I find when adjusted, it'll hold a 3lb pull with no creep. Breaks nice and crisp. Drop tests fine.

Now the trigger on my Savage Edge is CRAAAAP. Totally non-adjustable unless you cut spring coils and pulls at about 7lbs....crisp when it does though

Here:

Adjust number 5. Be sure to keep some pressure on that screw.

Quote:
Before we begin, you should understand that the Savage Factory Trigger in 110 series rifles is a simple yet effective trigger capable of holding a setting to about three
pounds. It has adjustments for lightness of pull, trigger creep, over travel and safety engagement. The Savage trigger should not be stoned, or filed down at the sear
in order to reduce the pull weight. Lubricating the sear with a dry moly powder and dry firing the rifle 40-50 times will smooth out (break-in) the sear and provide
smoother function. Savage rifles can be dry-fired without any adverse effect on the rifles.
Those desiring a lighter trigger than three pounds should consider a good after market trigger like the Sharp Shooter’s Supply or Rifle-Basix triggers.

teps to follow:
1) Remove the rifle from the stock by removing the action screws in front of and behind the trigger guard.
2) Minor adjustments to weight of trigger pull can be made by adjusting the tension on the trigger spring with Screw #5. Remember to keep some pressure on this
spring in order to insure proper function. Setting the spring to lightly can prevent proper trigger recovery/re-engagement. Make sure the spring rests in one of the
opposing notches in the screw head to secure the adjustment.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SET THE SAVAGE FACTORY TRIGGER BELOW THREE POUNDS. SLAM FIRES AND OTHER TYPES OF ACCIDENTAL
DISCHARGES ARE PROBABLE IF THIS GENERAL RULE IS IGNORED.

Last edited by savage shooter; 04-26-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
In a Savage forget the Timney and get the Sharp Shooter Supply 'competition' trigger for $97 , its excellenthttp://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

(I aggree that the Timney Mauser 98 trigger is great, however)
SSS doesn`t ship to Canada anymore.....
Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
SSS doesn`t ship to Canada anymore.....
Bummer!

I wonder if they have a dealer here?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Bummer!

I wonder if they have a dealer here?
Mystic Precision in Summerland, BC.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Take a look at Rifle Basix triggers as well.

I had a SAV-2 on a Savage varmint/bench gun, very crisp and light. Also bought a used Marlin 17HMR that came with a Rifle Basix trigger. The spring was collapsed and when I contacted them they sent a parts kit to me free of charge, (I wasnt even the original purchaser).

A good trigger is a great investment if you are interested in accurate shooting.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM

thanks for all the help guys!!