Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Anybody at a gun range should be prepared for the noise anyways. If they are not, they have no business whining about it either.
The brakes tend to knock the insulation off the ceiling of our shooting shed, and the muzzle blast from some of the big guns tends to knock anything off the benches on either side if them.
I find that neither responsible nor is it respecting others at a range.
If a person insists on making a disturbance while I am RO on a line they will be told to either wait until the people next to them vacate, or shoot outside at the end of the shed, and that has NOTHING to do with the noise or someone whining about noise, hearing and eye protection are mandatory at our range.
Cat
Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The brakes tend to knock the insulation off the ceiling of our shooting shed, and the muzzle blast from some of the big guns tends to knock anything off the benches on either side if them.

Cat
How close are your benches? Brakes knocking stuff off the benches??? Come on. REALLY??

Some of the posts on this forum are more offensive than people using muzzle brakes.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
How close are your benches? Brakes knocking stuff off the benches??? Come on. REALLY??

Some of the posts on this forum are more offensive than people using muzzle brakes.
Yes, really.
if you have ever shoot a .50 BMG or even a braked 338 lapua you will realize just how much stuff can be moved by the muzzle blast.
Our benches are far enough apart so an average person can walk between them with several inches on either side.

Cat
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Precisionshooter

Brakes can certainly be disturbing for adjacent shooters, however they are a reality. Perhaps range executive should consider implementing a device or deflectors to reduce the affect on other shooters. Or have benches setup specifically for muzzle brake users. Just thought.

I would suspect some baffling could be made to reduce the net affect to adjacent shooters.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 AM

I Dont Own Braked Rifles,but I dont Discriminate against them.They are annoying at the Rifle Range,however i'd have no problem hunting with or around a Braked Rifle.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Brakes can certainly be disturbing for adjacent shooters, however they are a reality. Perhaps range executive should consider implementing a device or deflectors to reduce the affect on other shooters. Or have benches setup specifically for muzzle brake users. Just thought.

I would suspect some baffling could be made to reduce the net affect to adjacent shooters.
If the range is crowded the braked guns are asked to shoot either outside the shed area or to wait until there is sufficient room for them.
Cat
Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Of the rifles that I have shot that had brakes, it is almost unbelievable how powerful the blasts are, I agree with Cat. The percussion from from a Big Boomer can rattle your teeth, knock stuff over, fling dirt and debris.

As for me not hunting with people that have them, its my choice and the choice of those who I hunt with (many of whom share a similar distaste for hunting with brakes). If one of my friends was restricted to only having one rifle, and it had a break, then I would loan him one of mine, balls in his court now.

Not all brakes are created equal, and many manufacturers are using adjustable brakes which can be opened and closed (Savage comes to mind), the BOSS system has 2 styles of breaks, one true brake, and one with "conventional recoil" which has all the adjustment of the BOSS system with no brake.

I always wear hearing protection when at the range, the plugs go in before i leave the truck in most instances, and I do my best when a field but sometimes things happen fast.

Just like Swifty described, it was who he was hunting with who had a brake, and when its time to shoot, its time to shoot, that feeling takes over. Who paid the price?

In one moment everything can change, and not always for the better...
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Default muzzle brakes

I've got one on my 7 mag. I love it because of reduced recoil, which I know makes me a better shot. My 14 year old daughter (105 lbs.) likes to hunt and can shoot it with no problems at all. But let me tell you, they are very loud!! Don't shoot them with anyone off to one side. I use hearing protection when ever I can.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
If a person insists on making a disturbance while I am RO on a line they will be told to either wait until the people next to them vacate, or shoot outside at the end of the shed, and that has NOTHING to do with the noise or someone whining about noise, hearing and eye protection are mandatory at our range.
Cat
I will admit that I am not too familiar with the BMG class of cartridges, but would think that a range that allows them would be built to better suit them. Insulation falling from the ceiling sounds like an insulation problem, not a brake issue, and like others mentioned, perhaps some sort of baffle between benches is in order.

If your shooting around fiftys, then I imagine some sort of "brake wash" is expected.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I will admit that I am not too familiar with the BMG class of cartridges, but would think that a range that allows them would be built to better suit them. Insulation falling from the ceiling sounds like an insulation problem, not a brake issue, and like others mentioned, perhaps some sort of baffle between benches is in order.

If your shooting around fiftys, then I imagine some sort of "brake wash" is expected.
Why should all of the club members pay extra money in memberships, so the club can spend more money on baffles or special benches, just so a very few people can shoot their BMGs and other large bore, braked rifles in the covered in part of the range. To me, it makes more sense for that very few people to shoot outside of the covered in area, so they don't damage the facilities or expose the other shooters to the muzzle blast.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post

I have never and will not ever advocate for prohibition or exclusion of any type of fire arm on a range, however, the big braked guns came along long after our roof was built, and we are trying to accommedate them.
That being said, I will also not advocate more construction on a line that does not need it.
The number of rifles in town that can do damage to the ceiling of the range, blow stuff off the tables , etc are far outnumbered by other guns , and the guns are welcome to outside the shed.
Not all brakes will do this as was mentioned, but many will.
That being said, i will not shoot my muzzle loader upwind of tiihers when I am on the line for the same reason that I ask the braked guns to give way - it's simple courtesy.
I could say, " suck it up and man up, it's just a little stinky smoke" but I would like to think I have a bit more class than that.
Cat
Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

I once was next to a guy shooting a mere 270 win with a brake on it. The shooting benches were made of partical board and it was blasting off chunks of it out under the muzzle. The guy was using his soft case as a rest and the brake eventualy peeled off a big piece of the case. That was just a .270 win I have no trouble believing what Cat says about the bigger rounds.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Banned

I have never been offended by someone with a muzzlebrake nor has anyone ever mentioned anything to me while I was shooting one at the range. Maybe people are alot more tolerant in real life than they are on a message board. Or they strap their **** down to the bench so that it doesnt get blown off...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I have never been offended by someone with a muzzlebrake nor has anyone ever mentioned anything to me while I was shooting one at the range. Maybe people are alot more tolerant in real life than they are on a message board. Or they strap their **** down to the bench so that it doesnt get blown off...
Obviously you have never shot next to a .50 BMG.
I am very very tolerant on these boards as well as at our range.
However, insinuations like this tend to get me a little p'od!
Cat
Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I should not have to strap my gear down because someone is causing a muzzleblast next to me that has enough force to knock insulation off of the roof. How do you feel about being struck in the head with brass ejected out of a semi auto rifle at the next bench when you are trying to shoot? People not containing their brass, is just as ignorant as someone using a large bore braked rifle that exposes other members and their gear to a substantial muzzle blast, but yet some people continue to do both on a regular basis.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Obviously you have never shot next to a .50 BMG.
I am very very tolerant on these boards as well as at our range.
However, insinuations like this tend to get me a little p'od!
Cat
No, i have never seen a 50 BMG at the range but the way people complain about muzzle brakes, it would seem that these types of guns are the most common rifles in Alberta.

Sorry if my previous post po'd you. I hope you accept my apology as it was meant that most internet posts would never be spoken as typed at the range. And if this sign was re-enacted in real life, would probably result in flying fists. haha
Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
No, i have never seen a 50 BMG at the range but the way people complain about muzzle brakes, it would seem that these types of guns are the most common rifles in Alberta.

Sorry if my previous post po'd you. I hope you accept my apology as it was meant that most internet posts would never be spoken as typed at the range. And if this sign was re-enacted in real life, would probably result in flying fists. haha
No sweat
Are you a member of the ft. Mac range?
there are six 50's in town that I know of, and likely quite a few more than that that I have not seen.
braked guns are popular, but nowhere near as plentiful as the average hunting rifle in a mid range cartridge.
Cat
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
If the range is crowded the braked guns are asked to shoot either outside the shed area or to wait until there is sufficient room for them.
Cat
Why, cause you dont like it ? Unless there are rules specificaly defined to this effect, I would tell you to shoot outside the shed area if you didn't like it. A braked shooter has just as much right to shoot as anyone else. I will say no one has ever complained at the two ranges I am a member of when I shoot my braked 300 RUM and 338 LM. Maybe they are more tolerant and appreciate all aspects of shooting more so that in Fort Mac.

Last edited by depopulator; 04-21-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
No sweat
Are you a member of the ft. Mac range?
there are six 50's in town that I know of, and likely quite a few more than that that I have not seen.
braked guns are popular, but nowhere near as plentiful as the average hunting rifle in a mid range cartridge.
Cat
No, Im a member of the Rosebud range. Great group of people there.
I have never seen a 50 being shot, maybe they dont allow them here? Thats why I have such a hard time beleiving that muzzle brakes are such a problem. Maybe they are in Ft Mac where they are more common...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Oh, yup, htere are quite a few BIG rifles up here!!
if you want to get a rread on the pulse of the 50BMG popularity in Alberta, a good contact woyld be Rick at Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply in Calgary.
http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/firearms.html
He has put together quite a fw projects for many shooters across Canada, and also is a good source for compoments.

What he has to say about numbers, availability, etc, may surprise you!
Cat
Old 04-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Why, cause you dont like it ? Unless there are rules specificaly defined to this effect, I would tell you to shoot outside the shed area if you didn't like it. A braked shooter has just as much right to shoot as anyone else.
The people shooting these guns have two options, those being to be more considerate of other shooters, or to ignore the effects on other shooters until they aggravate the other shooters into voting in rules to deal with them. Option number one, would likely work out better for the people shooting the large bore, braked rifles, because if it comes to a vote at a club meeting, they will be greatly outnumbered.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Why, cause you dont like it ? Unless there are rules specificaly defined to this effect, I would tell you to shoot outside the shed area if you didn't like it. A braked shooter has just as much right to shoot as anyone else. I will say no one has ever complained at the two ranges I am a member of when I shoot my braked 300 RUM and 338 LM. Maybe they are more tolerant and appreciate all aspects of shooting more so that in Fort Mac.
You obviously have no idea of just how tolerant the RO's at our range or the range rules are at our club for that matter.

If you read back on my posts ere you will see that.
it has nothing to do with that fact that just because it has a brake the guy cannot shoot the rifle.
It does have everything to do with the situation if that rifle is knocking stuff off other's tables with a braked rfle, spraying brass on someone else with an SKS, or spreading a cloud of noxious smoke in their faces with a BP rifle when they are trying to concentrate on there own job at hand.
It has to do with respect, pure and simple.

I have continually fought against having SKS 's banned on our range, 50's with brakes, and semi auto pistols on the centre fire range, and I own NONE of these types of weapons.
I WILL fight for every person's right ot a respectful firing line, however.....

Cat
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
You obviously have no idea of just how tolerant the RO's at our range or the range rules are at our club for that matter.

If you read back on my posts ere you will see that.
it has nothing to do with that fact that just because it has a brake the guy cannot shoot the rifle.
It does have everything to do with the situation if that rifle is knocking stuff off other's tables with a braked rfle, spraying brass on someone else with an SKS, or spreading a cloud of noxious smoke in their faces with a BP rifle when they are trying to concentrate on there own job at hand.
It has to do with respect, pure and simple.

I have continually fought against having SKS 's banned on our range, 50's with brakes, and semi auto pistols on the centre fire range, and I own NONE of these types of weapons.
I WILL fight for every person's right ot a respectful firing line, however.....

Cat
I don't have to share a range with anybody other than myself and somedays that is one too many!
I find it hard to understand that people have to common manners explained to them!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I don't have to share a range with anybody other than myself and somedays that is one too many!
I find it hard to understand that people have to common manners explained to them!
Happens a lot more than it should!!!
Cat
Old 04-21-2011, 02:16 PM

I was at the Sibald Range just before last hunting season... testing some new ammo.

Anyway I was there a for about an hour when a couple of guys showed up the SKS's. At this point the range was dead, me, one other guy and the two wannabe russians.

These guys set up on the 2 closest benches to me and.... Ping, ping, ping, ping, ping...

I was constantly getting hit with brass from the furthest guy while the closer guy was fling it over my head.

I approached them after their first reload and explained that their brass was hitting me and since I was there first if they could move further over. The response I got was, well just plain disrespectful.

Which was kind of funny because these guys has so much metal pierced through their face that just seeing a magnet must strike fear into their heart.

So I decided to move, moved as far away from Tweedle De and Tweedle dumb as i could. The other guy there kind of laughed when he saw me move.

I have nothing against SKS's or russians or anything like that, i just hate stupid people.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bo View Post
I was at the Sibald Range just before last hunting season... testing some new ammo.

Anyway I was there a for about an hour when a couple of guys showed up the SKS's. At this point the range was dead, me, one other guy and the two wannabe russians.

These guys set up on the 2 closest benches to me and.... Ping, ping, ping, ping, ping...

I was constantly getting hit with brass from the furthest guy while the closer guy was fling it over my head.

I approached them after their first reload and explained that their brass was hitting me and since I was there first if they could move further over. The response I got was, well just plain disrespectful.

Which was kind of funny because these guys has so much metal pierced through their face that just seeing a magnet must strike fear into their heart.

So I decided to move, moved as far away from Tweedle De and Tweedle dumb as i could. The other guy there kind of laughed when he saw me move.

I have nothing against SKS's or russians or anything like that, i just hate stupid people.
I would have just packed up and left them to themselves.

If memory serves me, you can't see the parking area from the firing line on the range, can you? nuf said.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The people shooting these guns have two options, those being to be more considerate of other shooters, or to ignore the effects on other shooters until they aggravate the other shooters into voting in rules to deal with them. Option number one, would likely work out better for the people shooting the large bore, braked rifles, because if it comes to a vote at a club meeting, they will be greatly outnumbered.
Honestly, I have not had any problems with other shooters when shooting my braked boomers. I definitely bring them out when the crowds are less (weekdays) and often shoot at the end of the line at the longer range butts. I am there often enough that most regulars understand I take it seriously and they leave me alone. But if Johnny-come-lately parks beside me and starts whining about my muzzle blast - well, tough, he can move if he doesn't like it.

As far as your voting out a shooting demographic from the range, well, that rings of Johnny-come-lately ignorance. Should we ban the AR-15 guys tossing brass everywhere too ? ML and BP too ? What about the guys that need to go downrange to check their 8 MOA groups every 10 minutes ?Ranges need members and you'll never make everyone happy. Having said all that, increasingly I find it's worth the trip to the farm to shoot gongs rather than put up with the ever-increasing whining hillbillies and mall ninjas at the gun ranges these days.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
As far as your voting out a shooting demographic from the range, well, that rings of Johnny-come-lately ignorance.
Of course it will never come to that if that shooting demographic makes an effort to be respectful for the other members.

Quote:
Should we ban the AR-15 guys tossing brass everywhere too ?
If they are ignorant enough to shower other shooters with brass, they can be forced to use brass catchers, but once again, they can make an effort to make sure that they don't direct brass at other members, and it will never come to that.

Quote:
What about the guys that need to go downrange to check their 8 MOA groups every 10 minutes ?
That is up to the RO to control.

Quote:
Ranges need members and you'll never make everyone happy.
Although we welcome new members, we don't really have a shortage of members. It would be nice if we could keep everyone happy, but ultimately, if push comes to shove, the majority will be kept happy at the expense of those few that are impacting the other members in a negative way.

In the end, we can all get along just fine, if everyone makes an effort to make sure that they are not impacting the other shooters in a negative way.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM

well said. I agree.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bo View Post
If one of my friends was restricted to only having one rifle, and it had a break, then I would loan him one of mine, balls in his court now.

Wow; do you guys generally walk around holding hands while you are hunting, or snuggle up in a 2 person treestand? Most of the guys I hunt with have brakes; so I think this year anyone that chooses not to have a brake on their rifle, we will have to tell them to fawk off until they get a brake on their rifle. Refuse to hunt with someone cause they have a brake on their rifle...........