Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Wake up Alberta shooters who want to keep Ranges open

I just started a thread on the Gun Nutz web and feel I should here also....
First of all I ask why we stand by and let our MLA's Rape us and no-one complains......
I was at a small informal meeting at Spruce Grove Range yesterday and spoke to Harold for a moment and he had to go, but spoke to a director and he advised of some requirements the CFO is campaigning for... Higher berms (some work has been done) new target frames (not approved yet) 2x4's or ties laid out on the ground all along the range floor to catch bullets(dumb) pipes for off hand shooters to shoot through to prevent stray shots(dumb and dumber)
Hanging beams above shooters down range to catch stray bullets(now this is a cocaine moment)...., what the hell is going on......
In the last 2 weeks I've been in contact with several MLA's by phone or email, and each and every one claims they have never heard of a range being closed down!!!!!!!
Ive spoken to a member of the Premiers council and he was shocked and this morning I started a direct line of communication with the Premier.
And every one Ive spoken to claims its the first they had heard of any problem....
This new CFO is following up on a memo from Alan Rock in the old range status papers..,...
For god sake people get after your MLA's, phone, email write a letter we got to be heard in numbers now.. It appears as though every one is scared to ask why this CFO is reading the same rules as the other one since the rules for a range haven't changed since 2004...... Remember OUR TAX MONEY PAYS HIS WAGES...Appointed federally paid provincially......

And when you talk to your MLA mention this web site:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/hunt/Range_Locns.asp

And tell him thanks for our friends in Nova Scotia. This is what they got from our $12 Billion dollar a year transfer payments from this province....
We have built every range here in Alberta from members money and sweat equity...... And we now get Raped by a one man wrecking crew... the new CFO.
Only here since December and already the 2 ranges he looked at are closed and jumping through ridiculous loop holes....
Come on shoots take 5 minutes today and tomorrow and contact your MLA for the good of our sport.. Or seen it die........
SST
A kinda proud Albertan who feels **** on
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

It seems the Conservative Party of Alberta has become anti small town and anti rural.

Closing our gun ranges is another complaint I will be writing about in my next letter to these guys.

http://wildrosealliance.ca/
Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM

Many of the public ranges in Nova Scotia are older than most of the people on this form. They are basic and designed to allow people to sight in and test thier equiptment. Paid for by the purchase of hunting permits.
They are not 5 star resorts paid for by the good people of Alberta
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Default Our ranges

The OP is correct. In the next little while we will see attack after attack on our ranges. The new CFO is bringing Ontario policy to Alberta to try to bring ranges up to the standards they have set in Ontario. Reasonable or not, this is what is happening.

We will have to step up our game and educate ourselves with what is in the "guidelines" and stand our ground on unreasonable requests from the CFO.

Wake up is correct.

Greg
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Precisionshooter

I believe the persons (CFO) name is Mr. Mike Mussolum.

Modern civilization uses stats to allocate funds to resolve problems; I.E. cities (likewise government but with different issues) have many dangerous intersections but only spend or allocate money when fatalities or accidents reaches a certain level. Ski hills have numerous fatalities and injuries and they continue to operate without similar treatment that gun ranges are exposed to. Why?

Gun ranges, well I think the statistics (using the same rules) would easily support NO changes or improvements. However firearm owners being reasonable and intelligent people recognize that things can always be improved within reason; and most ranges make improvements without the need of municple type evaluations or the type of inspection that is currently taking place in Alberta. As far as I know the range executives are doing their best and at great expense, but why? Where are fatalities the injuries?

Closure of rifle ranges (with excellent safety records) as of last year October (during hunting season) has created a grossly UNSAFE situation by directing sporting enthusists away from safe rifle ranges to cut-lines, pipelilnes and any place a person can discharge a firearm. Given the current situation it would appear that the regulatory system has tried to shed responsibility from themselves by closing ranges but failed to realize they have created a greater safety issue by diverting shooting activities in areas with no safety provisions. Why close ranges when there are no safety satistics to support it?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Precisionshooter

From Wikipedia:

ProvincialEach province has its own Chief Firearms Officer (CFO), appointed either by the Government of Canada or by the Executive Council of the province they served in. The three territories shares a CFO with another province (British Columbia - Yukon, Alberta - Northwest Territories & Manitoba - Nunavut). They are responsible for making decisions (grant, deny, revoke or put conditions) on licensing (ie. Possession and Acquisition Licence), Authorization to Transport, Authorization to Carry and transfer of firearms along with all of its administrative work.[10]

Each province also appoint firearms officers (generally speaking, police officers or RCMP Civilian members) to inspect and ensure compliance within the definition of the Firearms Act. They may apply to court for a preventative prohibition order if it is in the public's interest that a person should not be in possession of any weapons regulated under the Firearms Act.[11] In carrying out their duties, they can demand firearms be presented to them and samples to be taken.[12] Failure to comply is a summary offence which may lead to complications when one is up to renew his or her firearms licence for previous contravention of the Firearms Act.[13]

FederalCFP is a program within the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The chain of command is as follows:[2]

The Commissioner of the RCMP serves as the Commissioner of Firearms, the chief executive of the program. The Commissioner is assisted by a Deputy Commissioner (Policing Support Services). They are responsible to the Minister of Public Safety Canada and thus accountable to the Parliament of Canada.

An RCMP officer is appointed as the Director General to oversee the day-to-day administration of the CFP.

A Registrar of Firearms is appointed to issue and revoke firearms registration certificates and carriers’ licences and maintain the records on Canadian Firearms Registry. The Registrar is also responsible for administering the Public Agents Firearms Regulations.

There are four (4) major areas within the CFP, which are managed by the Deputy Commissioner, Policing Support Services:

Firearms Administration Centre (for licensing, registration, customer service and operations);
Firearms Investigative & Enforcement Services Directorate (who assist police in countering illegal movement and criminal use of firearms);
Strategic Integration & Program Management Services (program support policy, research and planning, business management);
Partnership & Outreach (communications, client/partner and stakeholder relationship)
The CFP offers a wide variety of investigational support services to police:

Firearms Reference Table (FRT), is a comprehensive firearms database with over 130 000 entries which establishes a systematic, standard method of identifying, describing and classifying firearms.
Firearms Identification, for questionable firearms
Firearms Analysis, for potential evidence in crimes
Tracing of illicit firearms, the CNFTC (Canadian National Firearm Tracing Centre) assists police in tracing illegal firearms
Investigational support & assistance, helps police in preparing, obtaining and executing search warrants, location search and seizure, exhibit identification and organisation and court preparation
Expert firearms advice & witness, provides firearm-related guidance for testimony and court preparation, and act as liaison with partner agencies that can provide these services
Firearm Case Law Database, firearm-related cases can be researched, and are distributed to investigators
Crown Attorney Program, working with crown attorney offices, a network that specializes in firearms investigations
Firearms Operations and Enforcement Support (FOES), intelligence support to firearm investigators and research that identifies trends and patterns in the criminal use of firearms in Canada.
Pricing of illicit firearms, a record of firearm "street prices" is maintained and the information is made available to investigators
Access to specialized firearms information databases, Canadian Firearm Information System (CFIS), Canadian Integrated Ballistic Identification Network (CIBIN) and the Suspect Gun Database
Training, lectures, conferences, outreach and learning material available across Canada are available on a broad range of topics involving firearms
Firearms registration information, querying records contained within the Canadian Firearms Registry Online (CFRO)
Public Agent Firearms Reporting assistance, helping Public Agents use the Public Agency Web Services (PWS) to report agency and protected firearms and assisting Public Agents understand their obligations under the (Public Agents Firearms Regulations)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Firearms_Program
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Default CFO's and closures

Yes stats are a item that should be looked at. Stats in Canada pretty much say that Firearms ranges in Canada are one of the safest places to hang out.

Range executives need to fully understand the guidelines in which we live. Then they also need to understand how to say no to every little unreasonable request.

Greg
Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Default A couple of things

I emailed the wild rose party and have not received a response which leads me to believe they think its just a guy bitching about a range being closed in the name of safety. That's why I think we have to flood them with questions so they realize this is not just a guy complaining, its a real issue to many Albertans.

I'm not complaining about money being sent to other provinces. What I'm trying to show them a province with very little thinks about their citizens and a province with huge resources appears to **** on us.

I'm not asking them to build us ranges or even maintain the ones we build for ourselves what I'm asking them to do is defend us from a one man wrecking crew. By our MLA's calling the CFO and asking if we are being treated fairly! And questioning his interpretation of the rules, where the same rules are in effect since 2004 and only now since he(CFO) has arrived that these ranges are now closed. Question the CFO by his actions is he saying that the out going CFO was not doing a correct job or is the difference only his interpenetration of these same rules. Are the ranges in Nova Scotia inspected for the same criteria as here, because they are built by the province?????
But I know one guy phoning and writing won't do it, we need to flood them in a short time with a multitude of emails and phone calls asking the same questions.
SST
Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 AM

For those that don't believe there is a dark not-so hidden agenda by unelected bureocrats here (and no... my tinfoil hat has not fallen off).

The same mentality is migrating west and it's now in the office of the CFO. The CFO can operate with relative impunity unless challanged, but it's hard as the CFO represents the Crown and has unlimited resources.

Please have a listen to "Canadian reload radio" pod casts and find out what is happening down east.

Listen Specifically episode #44, they interview the main firearms lobbyist for the Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA). There is also a link to Chris Andersons Pod cast where he interviews those involved with the Ian Thompson case (the guy who was protecting his house from fire bombing, and later charged with firearms offenses), and his Lawyer Ed Burlew.

Very educational and eye opening, judge for yourself if this same kind of sh*t is starting to happen here.

http://www.canadianreloadradio.com/episodes.html
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Default One guy will not win the battle

SST,

You are correct, one person will not win the battle. It takes all of us.

The guidelines are pretty simple. While I don't agree with all of them, they are simple. There should be no interpretation of the guidelines. And remember they are only guidelines! They are not the law! Interpretation is not the law! Internal policy is not the law!

Keep up the fight!

Greg
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotom View Post
I emailed the wild rose party and have not received a response which leads me to believe they think its just a guy bitching about a range being closed in the name of safety. That's why I think we have to flood them with questions so they realize this is not just a guy complaining, its a real issue to many Albertans.

I'm not complaining about money being sent to other provinces. What I'm trying to show them a province with very little thinks about their citizens and a province with huge resources appears to **** on us.

I'm not asking them to build us ranges or even maintain the ones we build for ourselves what I'm asking them to do is defend us from a one man wrecking crew. By our MLA's calling the CFO and asking if we are being treated fairly! And questioning his interpretation of the rules, where the same rules are in effect since 2004 and only now since he(CFO) has arrived that these ranges are now closed. Question the CFO by his actions is he saying that the out going CFO was not doing a correct job or is the difference only his interpenetration of these same rules. Are the ranges in Nova Scotia inspected for the same criteria as here, because they are built by the province?????
But I know one guy phoning and writing won't do it, we need to flood them in a short time with a multitude of emails and phone calls asking the same questions.
SST

A quick suggestion....can you make a post with a template on how the email should be worded? I would be more inclined to copy/paste a generic email and send it off than try to come up with an email in my own words - partly because I don't know enough about to comment, but would still support.

It would be kinda what those online petitions do...and I will gladly email the wildrose alliance with something perhaps worded better than I could come up with.

Also...utilizing Facebook with the same message would probably get their attention as well.

Hope that helps some!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:34 AM

The Hinton gun range might be the latest victim of the new CFO. I was at the range the other day and saw signs up that said something along these lines:

The berms between the different shooting ranges have been found to be inadequate thus only one range maybe used at a time or all must be closed before shooters head down range.

I didn't realize we had such a dangerous situation on our hands, good thing the CFO is being pro-active and has saved us from shooting each other!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 PM

We had to shut down a few Military ranges untill we had berms built up to standards, along with new traces for ricochets do to new development in and around the range.

In the name of safety I agree with the back stop needing to be looked at. But I do not like the way things are heading with people with a direct interest to impose their will upon us.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Here we go again...

http://www.mountainviewgazette.ca/ar...im-at-gun-club
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Default Just for your info

A employee of the dept has in confidence mentioned to me that there are 12 ranges in Alberta and one in the Yukon that is targeted for closure!
So be prepared for a surprise guys.
Just think about it...
Chances are good its one of your too!!!

SST
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Default CFO blueprint

As far as I know there ZERO legislation, and ZERO written regulation in the firearms act for exactly how a range has to be set up. I have heard that this new fellow is just making this up as he goes and if it was ever challenged by a lawyer he'd be down the road.
So I say we contact a lawyer and get this mans authority sorted out. FS
Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Many of the public ranges in Nova Scotia are older than most of the people on this form. They are basic and designed to allow people to sight in and test thier equiptment. Paid for by the purchase of hunting permits.
They are not 5 star resorts paid for by the good people of Alberta
No 5 star ranges back home, nothing even close to what's out here. I believe the only public range that goes beyond 100yds is the one in Truro which I believe is 200yds. They're also government owned and controlled by DNR, no fees and no memberships. You just have to call the day before to make sure it's available because the mounties and DNR also use them as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper28 View Post
No 5 star ranges back home, nothing even close to what's out here. I believe the only public range that goes beyond 100yds is the one in Truro which I believe is 200yds. They're also government owned and controlled by DNR, no fees and no memberships. You just have to call the day before to make sure it's available because the mounties and DNR also use them as well.
There is a full bore range at Bedford for centre fire match rifles.
Cat
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I'm thinking the Alberta CFO should be fired
Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM

I believe the whitecourt range had to upgrade the berms as well, cant find the letter I got from the fish and game commity that says what all was done, but I know the berms were not big enough and I think there was something about they needed a larger flag and some other stuff like that.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Default here is a good contact to get after

Verlyn Olson
Justice and Attorney General, Deputy Government House Leader

wetaskiwin.camrose@assembly.ab.ca

He pays the CFO out of his budget..
So let him know whats going on remember more emails the better.
After all we pay his wages....
SST
Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Precisionshooter

Although currently in limbo due to the election, please also flood:

Rona Ambrose's office:

Assistant: Joanne @ 780-495-7705 , email ambror1b@parl.gc.ca

I have asked Joanne this morning to confirm this additional information:

CFO's Manager/Supervisor:
Verlyn Olson
Justice and Attorney General, Deputy Government House Leader

wetaskiwin.camrose@assembly.ab.ca

I think it is important that all the ranges compare notes on how this entire ordeal is being handled. We all want clear and uniform direction to ensure compliance.

Are the ranges receiving written reports on the inspection with clear direction? Might be worth posting these reports on the sites to help educate the membership of what is happening in this region.

Last edited by Precisionshooter; 04-13-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Default Remember to cc

Good idea to cc a copy of your emails to Dave Rutherford at this

dave.rutherford@corusent.com

He is a good contact to keep informed of this and to show him there are more then just a couple of guys in Alberta concerned with this situation.
SST
Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Default An internal memo to CFO

I received this and wonder who this came from Federally, thought I should forward for those who might care:

This is from the federal directive to the RCMP..... AND THEIR FINDINGS THUS FAR

Audit Finding 5 : Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges

Observation / Impact:

17 shooting club and shooting range files were reviewed (12 at the CFO Alberta & Northwest Territories office and 5 at the CFO Newfoundland & Labrador office). Analysis of these files indicated that the process to approve shooting clubs and shooting ranges was not conducted in a manner that is consistent with the Firearms Act and regulations.

Inspections were conducted at the time of initial application and shooting range approval, but in 9 cases they were not done for subsequent applications and approvals. Inspections did not necessarily ensure that all safety requirements had been met. In some cases, approvals were granted prior to receiving applications to renew a shooting range. Approvals were also at times granted with recommendations and in some cases for serious safety issues. Time frames were not given for operators to comply with recommendations, and there was no indication that follow up was done to ensure required changes occurred.

Inspections were deemed to be evidence that FOs ensured compliance with safety standards and other obligations set out in section 5 of the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations. If approvals are granted without evidence of compliance documented through inspection reports, the CAFC risks not fulfilling its due diligence in approving shooting clubs and shooting ranges, particularly if incidents occur on shooting ranges that should not have been approved.

Audit Recommendation 5

The D/Commr PSS should ensure that:

Mandatory requirements, as per the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations, and inspections are completed, prior to granting shooting clubs and shooting ranges approvals as well as renewals.

Management Action Plan

The CFP agrees with the finding and recommendation regarding ensuring that mandatory requirements and inspections are completed prior to granting shooting clubs and shooting ranges approvals and renewals.

New processes for shooting clubs and shooting ranges licensing, which include inspections, will be incorporated into the overall development of national CFP policies and procedures and service standards.

Consultation with CFOs and our partners will occur prior to April 2010, and the shooting clubs and shooting ranges mandatory requirements and inspection processes will be put in place by June 2010.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM

Default Federal memo to CFO

I received this memo to the CFO and wonder who authored it?
Though some might want to see this:

This is from the federal directive to the RCMP..... AND THEIR FINDINGS THUS FAR

Audit Finding 5 : Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges

Observation / Impact:

17 shooting club and shooting range files were reviewed (12 at the CFO Alberta & Northwest Territories office and 5 at the CFO Newfoundland & Labrador office). Analysis of these files indicated that the process to approve shooting clubs and shooting ranges was not conducted in a manner that is consistent with the Firearms Act and regulations.

Inspections were conducted at the time of initial application and shooting range approval, but in 9 cases they were not done for subsequent applications and approvals. Inspections did not necessarily ensure that all safety requirements had been met. In some cases, approvals were granted prior to receiving applications to renew a shooting range. Approvals were also at times granted with recommendations and in some cases for serious safety issues. Time frames were not given for operators to comply with recommendations, and there was no indication that follow up was done to ensure required changes occurred.

Inspections were deemed to be evidence that FOs ensured compliance with safety standards and other obligations set out in section 5 of the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations. If approvals are granted without evidence of compliance documented through inspection reports, the CAFC risks not fulfilling its due diligence in approving shooting clubs and shooting ranges, particularly if incidents occur on shooting ranges that should not have been approved.

Audit Recommendation 5

The D/Commr PSS should ensure that:

Mandatory requirements, as per the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations, and inspections are completed, prior to granting shooting clubs and shooting ranges approvals as well as renewals.

Management Action Plan

The CFP agrees with the finding and recommendation regarding ensuring that mandatory requirements and inspections are completed prior to granting shooting clubs and shooting ranges approvals and renewals.

New processes for shooting clubs and shooting ranges licensing, which include inspections, will be incorporated into the overall development of national CFP policies and procedures and service standards.

Consultation with CFOs and our partners will occur prior to April 2010, and the shooting clubs and shooting ranges mandatory requirements and inspection processes will be put in place by June 2010.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Precisionshooter

Singleshotom - great info.

here are some links we should review and educate ourselves on:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i...constr-eng.pdf

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...12/page-1.html

hopefully the board will sticky some of this information.

Joe
Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Banned

i just recently got into shooting, probably a bad idea since it looks like firearm ownership is doomed/ legal shooting
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 AM

No way. The more people that get involved it the shooting sports the harder it is for the politicians to demonize the group. Especially when the group is composed of all different people from different walks of life. The best thing you can do is take someone who has never shot a gun out to the range. Even if they don't decide to take it up as a hobby at the very least they have a positive view of it. The threat of them trying to ban guns comes from lefty extremists that paint a picture of gun owners being scary looking Rambo types with their scary black guns. They don't show a father and daughter out spending quality time together. The more people that are exposed to the shooting sports, the more it exposes the fanaticism for what it is. Keep Shooting!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunwithGuns View Post
No way. The more people that get involved it the shooting sports the harder it is for the politicians to demonize the group. Especially when the group is composed of all different people from different walks of life. The best thing you can do is take someone who has never shot a gun out to the range. Even if they don't decide to take it up as a hobby at the very least they have a positive view of it. The threat of them trying to ban guns comes from lefty extremists that paint a picture of gun owners being scary looking Rambo types with their scary black guns. They don't show a father and daughter out spending quality time together. The more people that are exposed to the shooting sports, the more it exposes the fanaticism for what it is. Keep Shooting!
ya i guess you're right
Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Precisionshooter

Sir,

As per your request, I have contacted the office of the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) responsible for Alberta. I have been advised by officials that the correct contact for complaints against the Alberta CFO would be the Director General of the Canadian Firearms Program, Mr. Pierre Perron.

Mr. Perron can be contacted at pierre.perron@rcmp-grc.gc.ca or alternatively by phone at 613-843-5440.

Please note that the Canadian Firearms Program (including Alberta) is under the purview of the Federal Minister of Public Safety, not the Provincial Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Alberta.

I hope that this information is helpful to you in answering your question.

Sincerely,

Joanne Kunstek
Constituency Assistant
Constituency office of Hon. Rona Ambrose, PC, MP
Member of Parliament for Edmonton-Spruce Grove
6801-170 Street Edmonton, AB T5T 4W4
Ph: (780) 495-7705 | Fax: (780) 495-7741 | Email: ambror1b@parl.gc.ca
Facebook: Rona Ambrose | Twitter: MP_RonaAmbrose