Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 06:09 PM

Default Kubota RTV520 rentals

I'm thinking about adding some side-by-sides to our equipment rental fleet and thought that the rtv520 might be a good place to start. They are not that fast and look to be a solid utility vehicle. Not really looking to get into the mudding, off-road ATV market as that tends to be tough on equipment, but we're considering the utility market as there might be people who don't necessarily need something year around but would benefit from a rental from time to time. Would there be interest among the farmers, fishermen, hunters and campers for such a rental? Like all our equipment, they would be available per day, per week or per month. Not really looking to advertise here but more to research if there is interest out there. Anyone inquiring about our equipment rentals can pm me. I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:27 PM

Probably O&G, maybe the odd hunter.

I’ve got more experience with the diesels, which are great, dependable, etc, but in no way an off road road machine (HEAVY)

Either way, can’t go wrong with Kubota….
Old 03-26-2024, 08:20 PM

They're a dead dog to drive. Generally a reliable machine, but geared low and low power. Mom has one, and it can barely drive in second gear on the flat.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM

Default The dead dog

I appreciate the input. The dealer didn’t have one for me to try. They had two still in the crate. I figured a slower but reliable vehicle might be the way to go. It might get a fisherman and his gear to his favorite spot, haul a deer out of thick brush, or haul kids and gear around a campsite, but not really something the mudders or rough terrain atv types might be interested in.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:16 PM

I’m a big fan of renting equipment. Why buy, maintain, store something I only use once or twice a year. But I can’t see myself ever renting a side by side. Rent for a week is probably $700? Probably more. I’d make do with what I have.

I have a quarter of land I need to fence. I would maybe think about renting one, if I had a week off work to do the fence cause it’d be super handy, I’d just swallow the cost of rent as the convenience of a side by side would be worth it. But it’s a rental, after a week of stringing wire, carrying fence posts, tools there bound to be some scratches, maybe some box dents. I wouldn’t want the hassle of returning it in not new condition. Not a slam against rental companies. They don’t rent stuff out to be damaged. I get it. I’m just realistic. I’ve rented equipment, done my best to be mindful, but still damaged it. And paid for my damage. No problem.

If you can rent it to people that can charge it out, you’d probably do very well.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:16 PM

I have the rtv1100 diesel.It is without a doubt the biggest pile of crap ever made.No power, no speed....a fat cow can out run it.Been back to the dealer so many times I have lost track.It does however, have a wonderful heater and air conditioner in it.It will haul 1000 lbs and dump it with ease. I would never ever buy another one.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:22 PM

From a business perspective, I wouldn't think hunters would be an ideal client, as most will want them in November, and that's it. Can't speak for all hunters, but it had never crossed my mind to rent a SxS for hunting. There probably is a market though, United offers quite a few different options: Link

Do you get inquires asking if you rent them out? If so, get one, see what happens. Northwinds may have one for sale.....
Old 03-26-2024, 09:45 PM

I heard some rental companies basically printed money renting side by sides to pipeline construction and consulting outfits the past few years until recently… so wonder if the rental market for them might be a hair saturated or if most were liquidated after return.

Don’t know what the consumer personal use market would be like… when it comes to toys like that a lot of guys seem to like to own what they use. Think it’s kind of a pride or simply convenience thing over financial. Kinda like how most folks for the 4 times a year they get their RV out would financially be way better off just renting one but hardly anyone actually does.

Curious to know what your rental offerings are and what the ratio of sales are to b2c vs b2b accounts. Especially what rents best to consumers.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:45 PM

Default Rtv520

Thanks, this is the type of input I was looking for. We’ve had some inquiries but we get inquiries for just about everything. There just didn’t seem to be many options out there for this type of equipment so I figured I’d reach out to the Alberta Outdoorsman to see if there was interest. It would only take a few days rental per month to make the payment so we might try it. Kubota does retain its value so it won’t be a great loss if it doesn’t rent well. If United has them, they must do ok or they wouldn’t bother.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:38 AM

I would suggest you look at the Honda 520 or 700. Holds its value just as well as Kubota, just as reliable,, significantly cheaper, not a Ricky Road race type machine but very capable and a whole bunch lighter, but the 520 is still 1,000 lbs. You will also need a trailer to go with the SXS. Most pickups don't have a big enough box to carry one. The Honda 520 however, will fit in many pickups.

I will be interested to hear what kind of demand there is and how seasonal. I wonder if heat and air is a big deal in the rental market.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:49 AM

We had one at an oil facility I used to work at. Slow, useless in the snow, and lots of overheating issues. I think they’re hydrostatic driven and it leaked a lot. A real POS.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:21 AM

Maybe have a look at the Canam Defenders. Farmer friends are running them.
Lots of power and cab with heater is nice during calving in middle of night. Kubotas are gutless and sit low.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:06 PM

The vast majority of our business is B2B, but we’re exploring the B2C market as well. Most of the equipment that rents to B2B is large but it rents out for longer periods of time, while the B2C market includes small excavators, stand on skid steers and your typical landscape equipment. Rentals to B2C tend to range from a couple of days to a week. The benefit of B2C equipment is that it requires less investment and builds up the customer base which in turn feeds the B2B market.
I’m appreciating all the feedback and comments as it informs me about what potential customers will be looking for. I get that everyone has their preferred brand and model but it’s particularly interesting why one is preferred over another especially by those with experience using a variety of sxs.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
I have the rtv1100 diesel.It is without a doubt the biggest pile of crap ever made.No power, no speed....a fat cow can out run it.Been back to the dealer so many times I have lost track.It does however, have a wonderful heater and air conditioner in it.It will haul 1000 lbs and dump it with ease. I would never ever buy another one.
Don't listen to Northwinds, he doesn't like anything that goes less than 4000 FPS so its no wonder his RTV 1100 has been a disappointment. I on the other hand have been very content with mine, which I have owned for the last ten years with no mechanical issues encountered except for a few adjustments required when first purchased.
If it's a speedy off road side by side you are after the Kubota is NOT it, but if you need a work horse and are happy to go down the trail at a safe pace take a look at the diesel Kubota. Mine will do 40 plus kph on a flat gravel road, bog down a bit on the hills or when fully loaded with a half a ton. D.H.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:42 AM

If you want to get your equipment back in decent shape I would go with lower powered rugged unit. A UTV is designed to get person and equipment through rough terrain, not tear around like a fool. If I was in rental business I would rent out used military tanks.
PS This is why Oil & Gas companies like to have employees use their own ATV, equipment and pick-up trucks.