Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Banned

Default Nice guys

Got permission to trap a quarter of land for coyotes a few weeks ago , Have been happily setting and catching a few yotes till two days ago . Last week I was looking at my foothold set from the road behind my pickup with a 40 power spotting scope , Along comes a local farmer and wants to know what I,m doing . I tell him and we talk He isn,t impressed I have permission to snare and says so by saying well I should give that fellow shyyt for letting this happen .
apparently he has a couple of favorite yotes that travel through his yard and he has evreything but a name for them LOL Kind of like the cecil lion story!
It ends well anyway.
A couple days later I,m setting a few more snares and Along comes a side by side tearing down the field , I continue prepping my snare by the truck and sure enough it,s farmer joe again . Stops his machine and he is serious enough but it don,t look like war yet! This time he has a .22 besides him . well I know what that is for but don,t say anything . He says I thought you were going to make a run for it ! I said no I,m here legally and no problems , Then he says Yeah this is my so and so,s land right up to here and over there and so on . I said Yes I know but I,m within my boundary . So we chat again and I compliment his .22 a browning lever . he says watch it there is one in the barrel! I say no problem , look at it and carry on jabbering . asks are you getting any ? Yes I say a couple . At some point he decides to leave , straight back for his place. Two days later Today I,m picking up my snares and low and behold this bush I,m trapping is full of side by side tracks right through the willows, through my snare area etc , Now he is off his property and seeing how ignorant a fellow can be I pick up all my gear and leave . BUT I have permission to set there next year and I guarantee you I will make a special case of killing every single coyote within two miles of this fellows farm , Payback will be a batch!!LOL
Old 02-28-2016, 06:30 PM

Illegal to be driving a side by side with loaded .22! You should have reminded him of that little rule!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Banned

Also illegal to trespass and tamper with traps.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 PM

Stick with it , well within your rights to be there . Maybe speak with landowner where you have permission and tell him about the incidents before next season ., just so he can maybe adjust his neighbours way of thinking .Good idea to have a witness with you next year when you go back .
Old 02-28-2016, 07:09 PM
Banned

You know I could have made it go south real quick But patience is a virtue! What rankles me is the gun in the unit , He is a quarter mile from his house and I,m darn sure he is expecting trouble , or it,s not far from his mind . In my opinion this shows intent of some type! Not healthy at all!
Seasons over now for me and I have my permission for next fall, I,m happy but I will be vigilant .
Old 02-28-2016, 07:25 PM

For me it would be why continue .. to prove a point ? He's obviously upset and you're ok to keep provoking him ... All this is over a couple of coyotes .... Put yourself in his shoes if you can .. I would move ...JMO.. .
Old 02-28-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
For me it would be why continue .. to prove a point ? He's obviously upset and you're ok to keep provoking him ... All this is over a couple of coyotes .... Put yourself in his shoes if you can .. I would move ...JMO.. .
I agree its probably not worth getting into it over some coyotes but come on, "put yourself in his shoes..."? From what parfleche has said this guy has no right to interfere with his traps, not his land and not the op's problem that this guy has made friends with a couple of varmints
Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
I agree its probably not worth getting into it over some coyotes but come on, "put yourself in his shoes..."? From what parfleche has said this guy has no right to interfere with his traps, not his land and not the op's problem that this guy has made friends with a couple of varmints
You're right and so is parfleche , to a point .. I'm not talking what's legally right .. but this is the sorta of thing drives me nuts that someone can continue aggravating others because he has the legal right ...notice something missing here is a lot of the conversation and its all one sided ..I'm not in the "go for it" crowd on this one ..JMO
Old 02-28-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
You're right and so is parfleche , to a point .. I'm not talking what's legally right .. but this is the sorta of thing drives me nuts that someone can continue aggravating others because he has the legal right ...notice something missing here is a lot of the conversation and its all one sided ..I'm not in the "go for it" crowd on this one ..JMO
I would completely disagree with you on this. I can tell you see both sides but what right does the other land owner have to aggravate Parfleche? The obtuse landowner isn't even in the right legally. He sounds like a bully used to getting his way.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I would completely disagree with you on this. I can tell you see both sides but what right does the other land owner have to aggravate Parfleche? The obtuse landowner isn't even in the right legally.
He has no legal right ..but where's the rest of the story ? landowners who are neighbors and this ? nope ... something ain't right ... let's hear all the talk on the two meetings and again ... aggravate because I can ..two wrongs don't make a right ...
Old 02-28-2016, 08:47 PM

I'd have him charged plain and simple. Might as well get it over with this year and now if he wants to be a dufuss
Old 02-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Banned

Rio 56 First off , I,m minding my business I,m on a public road and this fellow has to drive out and question what I,m doing looking through a spotting scope.I,m cordial BUT NON OF HIS BUSINESS!
Next he comes again off his property to check me out with a loaded firearm in his vehicle. through an open field in a tracked vehicle, bullet in the barrel I saw it ! WHY?
In all appearances everything is cordial The next time I check my snares This guy has possibly decided to check my snares for me or just trying to make a point he blasts through the small bush app 15 acres in size a half mile away from his property while I am gone and so I pull my sets SO, RIO what can I tell you to satisfy your questions that there is more to the story ?
Why would I make this up ? It,s bizarre at best and from your attitude you assume I could not be telling the whole story , What in the world makes you assume something like that ? I have talked to the landowner , he was not surprised , but oh well! And further RIO I don,t have to prove anything to you do I ? If you cant comment without insinuating I am not being truthful please don,t !Its insulting!
Rio I don,t know you, But should I assume YOU are the type that goes blasting off after anyone in your area? THAT would be very presumptuous of me would it not ?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Banned

To be honest, if this was somewhere that I asked for permission to trap I wouldn't bother trapping there......who needs the headache. I'd rather be discrete. If it was somewhere the landowner asked me to help him out with the coyotes, then it would be his responsibility to sort things out with his neighbour and having him charged with trespassing. Not worth the trouble IMO.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:10 AM

Default charge him

I'm with nube on this one. Charge him and get the word out there that this kind of nonsense isn't being tolerated.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosejerky View Post
I'm with nube on this one. Charge him and get the word out there that this kind of nonsense isn't being tolerated.
x2
Old 02-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosejerky View Post
x3 have him charged
Old 02-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I would say make a stand. Giving in to the landowner is just giving him more of a reason to act like a jack@$$. Maybe if the farmer had asked him to move because of whatever reason he may have, then I would consider it.

I would be placing a call to the landowner, F&W and the RCMP to inform them of the situation, not to take any action yet but just make them aware.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:00 AM

What does the landowner have to say about the neighbor ripping around? I personally would let the neighbours deal with their crap. Then I'd talk to the guy next year about trapping again and see if they sorted their stuff out.
There is one place I lightly trap and the landowner want the yotes gone. I told him to talk to his neighbors to inform them of my activities on his property. I let the landowner do some dirty work. And if you are gonna trap their next year. Lock the gate if possible.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Banned

Yes My snares were all pulled at the point where he ran through the bush with his machine . I,m not silly enough to push it that far . In fact fellows I have permission to trap again because the rancher adjacent to the farmer I have the permission from wants me to take the coyotes out because his cows are calving . The reason I wont trap on HIS land is he has a dog and neighbors to the east have a dog , so this situation is the only spot that I can safely trap the coyotes for the rancher .ALL neighbors were advised of me trapping there.
So for now , trapping is done , I can still shoot over said land , anytime ,I will be talking to F&W , I know them well, they are the ones get me work many times , As far as RCMP , Well that,s another story , Unless I go in person I don,t think my cell phone has enough battery life to stay on hold and listen to the music that long! Things will work out I,m sure.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Banned

Makes me wonder if the neighbour your having problems with has contacted the landowner who gave you permission. Sounds like there might be some bad blood there from before. I have to agree with HunterDave a bit. You might be right legally, but I have a feeling that in the future it might be more hassle then it's worth continue using traps and snares on that property.
If you do decide to continue trapping there next year, I'm betting we will be treated to some stories next season. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Default trail cam the spot

Put a trail cam up. Inform the ding-dong of the laws he would be breaking if he screws around with your stuff.

I've been tossing.around g around the idea of making some fake trail cams out of 2x4 scraps, painted black with a little chunk of plastic on the front. Placed high up in a tree i'd bet no one would think they were fake! Might keep some a-holes away.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:03 AM

Some guys leave you wondering if they're ignorant or just stupid. This yahoo shows you he is both!

Keep on trapping. The trail cam idea is good too, but I'm sure this guy is just stupid enough to steal or vandalize you equipment. You might want to trail cam the trail cam.

Wish you luck.

BW
Old 02-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Banned

For your info yesterday while pulling all my sets I talked to a local farmer who I trusted , about this , and low and behold this fellow was not surprised at all . He told me some stories ! I guess his wife now deceased , was some cannonball to deal with LOL.
He does not think the fellow would go south BUT told me to be cautious , Because according to local rumor among the farmers He and his passed wife are self elected wildlife protectors .
This farmer who told me this did agree , with the fact of carrying a loaded gun in the unit makes this a bit of a hairy situation . SO I will talk to the F&W about it and perhaps next season things will mellow out .
Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 PM

Be sure to keep us in the loop!