Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 PM

Default trail cams

Just wondering if i could get some opinions from members on what they consider the best trail cameras on the market. And by best I am mostly considering ease of use and quality of pictures(day and night). I have a few different kinds of digital trail cameras, both flash and infared and was wondering whos had the best luck with which cameras.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM

I use a Moultrie 4.0 and like it. Here is a daytime and night time pic:

Seems to work alright in the cold, but when you get to about -20*C or so it is hit or miss. -30*C or more and it will not work at all. Then again, not many electronic devices do work in that kind of cold.

As you can see, it takes a nice wide shot. It is easy to set the settings on it as well which is nice. Nothing worse than having a bunch of little buttons to fuss with. For the price, this is not a bad game camera at all IMO.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM

I have one for sale in the buy and sell section. It is home made and with one switch it runs the whole thing. CHEAP as well
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM

I have Moultrie's and they have been the most reliable, at least for me. There are some issue's with the flash though, I have one that the flash doesn't work anymore and I've heard of other's with the same problem. I've also got some that have taken thousands of night time shots, so it's hit or miss. For me they are easy to use and the best bang for the buck.

Craig
Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Check out these two threads from the past few weeks.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=cuddeback

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=cuddeback

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 PM

If you want quality night and day pictures you cannot beat the homebuilts. The buck is a homebuilt with a Sony 4.1 Megapixel camera. The nightime shot is with a Sony s600. You cannot beat the flash on this unit. I do not sell any of my cameras but there are people in Alberta and Sask that build and sell great units. If you want to contact them send me a PM.
I own one stealth cam. I have had it for a number of years. It has taken thousands of pictures. Good for scouting but not quality pictures. Bulky and large external battery is a drawback. I have had four moultries and had nothing but problems with them I gave the last one away last fall. A fellow brought me his bushnell the other day to see if I could make it work. It is going back to bushnell under warranty.
Sony P43

Sony s600

Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 PM

Those are some great quality photos. How much do the custom built ones usually go for?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:15 PM

Great pictures. I use the S40 for most of mine now and love them.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I use the S40 for most of mine now
They are the best buy out there and take a great picture as well. I find them a little harder to to mod than the 600 and a lot harder than the 43 (41).
Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Those are some great quality photos. How much do the custom built ones usually go f
Here is a fellow in Sask that makes great units. There is also someone in Alberta as well but I do not have there link. Maybe someone on here can help. It will give you an idea of price and what is out there.

http://www.monarchimages.ca/