Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Nice job Snap. Big bad Whites there.

Lots of snow you say, Quadable?
Hey man!. More snow around the edges where it has piled up but not much on the lake. Very quadable.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Right on buddy. May have to give'er a go for some of those Hogs!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:03 PM

my son I fished there today at the provincial park and at mulhurst bay for whites and walleyes all day in different depths and not a bite all day and not one other fisherman that i could see.......well its better than working! a local told me the water was disgusting in the late summer and that there were a bunch of dead whitefish washed up and everything was wormy????? i dont know if there is ant truth to that however a bad first time to pigeon lake
Old 12-24-2010, 03:58 AM

Mostly bs no doubt or lack of any real information. I'm sure the water got disgusting as it normally does now every summer. Whites die off like they normally do at the hottest part of every summer. The fish I caught were not wormy. Whites can get them there but they are thankfully not too common an occurance.

P.S. Good luck Penner! Hope you get one of those real tanks.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedm View Post
my son I fished there today at the provincial park and at mulhurst bay for whites and walleyes all day in different depths and not a bite all day and not one other fisherman that i could see.......well its better than working! a local told me the water was disgusting in the late summer and that there were a bunch of dead whitefish washed up and everything was wormy????? i dont know if there is ant truth to that however a bad first time to pigeon lake
the aae always comes in late summer and there is usually a kill off of fish due to water temp/lack of oxygen.

This summer there was a no swim advisory around ma me o beach due to fecal bacteria in the water... not sure if it was ever lifted...
Old 12-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Default Pigeon Update

Was on Pigen Dec 26. Started at Mulhurst - approach at boat launch a bit skietchy and rough. About a foot of sugar snow on top of 14 inches of ice. We (two of us) caught two walleye (no tags put them back), and seen two whites, 9 FOW, nice and clear. Moved down to Johnsonia at lunch approach there had been worked and very accessible. There is a ridge that opened some time ago and is froze solid again. When out couple hundred yards in about 7.5fow, and 18-20" of ice. Didn't see a thing. Took the roads to the south side of the lake to check approachs, much better on SS at P park, Poplar bay, and grandview(??). Dipped a hooked near the gazebo in 8fow and still 18-20" ice. Still lots of sugar snow (4x4 only), and very rough ice. Caught one walleye (no tag put him back). Didn't see anything else for an hour. Packed up and headed home after that.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 PM

I'm heading out tomorrow for some perch tried Gull today but it was very slow in fact it was brutal. Anyone know if there are some decent perch being pulled out of pigeon if so where abouts might be a good starting point?

Vegetarian-"native for lousy hunter"
Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM

We were all around the lake and only saw a total of 50 tents tops! There was one group straight out from Mulhurst - twice as far out as the shacks that have been set there - maybe 1/2 mile??? I have only caught perch very deep in that lake and that was 20 years ago.......a lot has changed since then!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap View Post
I'm heading out tomorrow for some perch tried Gull today but it was very slow in fact it was brutal. Anyone know if there are some decent perch being pulled out of pigeon if so where abouts might be a good starting point?
Personally i wouldn,t bother with perch at pigeon if you could find any.We used to have good luck in about 25-30 fow at the main basin of the lake.Not many people fish for perch anymore at pigeon probably due to limits and size limit.Good luck if you do try for perch at pigeon.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 PM

avoid camera in pigeon? what is the water clarity?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:29 PM

It was quite clear today. Could see easily to bottom of 9fow. Was at Gull last week and it was a lot more cloudy.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 AM

I was out at Pigeon today and Christmas and all together we caught 10 walleye and lost 8 at the hole. Saw one white but it was swimming about half way up. I also saw those guys that drove out quite a ways and was wondering if they caught any. Wasn't bad fishing, but it would have been nice to catch one of the jumbo whitefish.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 AM

Where were you fishing BBman? Might take the kids out there on Wednesday.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 AM

Went there the 26th. Lots of people driving on. Tried around Johnsania a few places and saw nothing. Went to Mulhurst saw three Whites about 4 feet down from ice but were not interested in my hooks, one was huge at least twice as big as the other two. A true Jumbo. Caught one nice fat walleye was 47 cm had to put him back tho as only got the C tags. He was hungry, just nailed the hook from no where. Ice was over 12 inches every where we drilled. Lots of heaves and cracks in the ice so be carfull out there. Saw one bunch of people out at least 1/2 mile out from where we were, Dont know what they were trying for? But very brave or dumb driving out that far this early in the season. I would not!