Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Setting 330 Conibears

Default Setting 330 Conibears

I have used many 110 but plan to start beaver trapping and I'm wondering what's the safest way to set 330s. Thank you
Old 01-20-2004, 01:56 PM
330's

Default 330's

lol, very carefully !! They actually make tools for setting them.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Rob

Default Re: 330's

Just make sure you hold them out and away from your body after the trap is set. I heard a story once about a trapper who was quite heavy. After he had set a 330 he was putting it into position when it went off and caught him on the belly. Apparently the bruise that the trap left was terrible. Real deep and full of blood and stuff.

Anyway, always use a trap-setter to set the trap and a saftey device after the trap is set. And carry a strong but thin piece of rope with you about 6-feet long. If you ever get your arm caught in a 330 you won't be getting out without the rope. One free hand will never open a 330.

Hope this helps,
Rob
Old 01-20-2004, 04:12 PM

Default 330

Thanks Rob, I've had me knuckle smashed by 110s and I wouldn't want it to happend with a 330. Do you depressed each spring independently and put the safety latch on and then release it when the trap is set? I appreciate the feedback. JZ
Old 01-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Settin Fred Connibear s invention

Default Settin Fred Connibear s invention

Probably the most important tool when settin a 330 conni is a safety gripper.there are a few on the market..Connibear,Ram makes one...I use the Connibear one but you should trim back the hook as they are a tad long and make removal awkward.I have made my owm safety gripper using a piece of metal banding and a cotter pin.Most of the time when you compress the trap to set the trigger the safety latches fall clear.....be careful.I prefer a set of locking trap setting pliers as they give you 2 hands to work on the trap and yur catch.I make my own outa 1 X 1/4 flat bar.If yur settin under ice fur bvr try usin a steel conni frame...approx 4 ft long.These units work slick and save a lot of time and hassle settin under the ice.The safety grippers and other equipment can be purchased at the Alberta Trappers assoc. in Westlock.You might wanna get comfortable handling them 330 s at home befor ya head out....and get some practice.Hope this helps...In trappin furever..Zepf
Old 01-22-2004, 02:21 AM

Default 330

The story about the fat guy is true.

The extra safety grippers are very good at keeping you out of the trap. I have mine on a lanyard that is long enough to work on the set while still around my neck.
This way I can't forget it.

Another important lifesaving tip is: Never reach under the ice to check your trap. You can get killed that way.
If you have to use your hands, ALWAYS have a hole big enough to get the set off trap through while it is on your arm. People have died from not following this advice.