Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 09:33 AM

Default Opinions on Honda BF40-50?

Can't find much info about hondas?? Everything seems to be Merc and Etecs these days. Can anyone give me some info on the BF40-50 class? thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:27 PM

Not much to say It's a Honda kinda says it all.

As bullet proof an engine as you will ever find. Only thing is they have been late to get the fuel inject going.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:42 PM

I've run quite a few Hondas (and other brands of outboard) over the last 30 years.

You turn the key (or give them a pull), and they run. They simply don't break down, are inexpensive to service/replace wearable parts and, as stated above, bullet proof.

They are not finicky or temperamental. Parts are off the shelf. They are easy to maintain yourself.

I personally don't care if they are injected or carbureted. I have only ever needed to lift the engine cover off the engine to do oil changes and regular services (unlike other outboards I've owned). Other than that, the engine cover stayed latched and I could care less if there was a gerbil on a wheel under there.

That gerbil never gets tired. I light him up a little with the battery, and his hairy butt gets on the wheel and he runs.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 AM

thanks guys......... suprised only 2 replies so far. Outboard talk usually has a ton of feedback.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:20 AM

The 50 hp is a fantastic motor but you should be made aware of one problem with the non vented fuel tanks. If you leave the fuel hose attached to the tank and motor in the sun, the fuel in the tank will be pushed into the engine filling the crankcase with gas. The oil dipstick will show that the oil level is too high. A person should run premium fuel as well and the engine is such a fuel miser that the higher price of premium fuel is negated.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 PM

Have a couple of friends that bought bf50's that are jet drives, back when Honda offered them from the factory. Have rode as well as driven them a bunch of times. Sips fuel, very quiet , neither have any issues and they are very light.
When I was shopping for an outboard jet I tried to get a Honda but weren't offered anymore, went Etec which I like.
I can only imagine the Honda in a prop would be awesome as well. The Honda has good snap out of the hole too.