Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Default I Fish Pro Northern Pike up to 38"

First time using the IFISH PRO and landed some nice northern pike. Biggest 38" pulling drag on the rod! Wolves were howling and the water wolves were biting. Great day on the ice for sure!

One of my Tip-Ups Broke after catching the first pike on it. It was a perfect time to take out the I Fish Pro and give it a try. I was surprised how well it worked and ended up catching several pike with this Tip-Up and even landed and released a 38" Northern Pike. I set the rigs up with a quick strike rig and herring about 18 inches off the ground. The pike were coming through in about 8 feet of water. This was a very dark overcast day so forgive the poor lighting, it really was that dark out there. Hope you enjoy the video! Thanks for watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qze8WLzL_48

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 PM

Great video as always.Kinda cool to be out fishing and hear wolves in the background.You got me hooked on the jawjacker with great results now i might have to get me one of these units!Good luck to you on future adventures.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:24 PM

It's a wonder threads like this don't get a lot more attention. You consistently pump a great videos and great fish. Congrats Brandon. Keep the videos coming. That was an excellent Pike – that 38 inch one!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Great video as always.Kinda cool to be out fishing and hear wolves in the background.You got me hooked on the jawjacker with great results now i might have to get me one of these units!Good luck to you on future adventures.
Yeah those wolves were crazy cool... its too bad the video didn't pick it up because it was very audible cause there was no wind at all. It was the heaviest overcast I think I have ever fished in ice season. So dark all day. This is a great replacement for the tip ups, a lot more fun on the rod I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
It's a wonder threads like this don't get a lot more attention. You consistently pump a great videos and great fish. Congrats Brandon. Keep the videos coming. That was an excellent Pike – that 38 inch one!
Thanks a lot Wildwoods. I don't mind if they are low key threads, just post them for whoever wants to watch. Maybe I post too much, some people have probably lost interest. Thanks for your interest though and watching!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 PM

Ah to me these threads are why I'm here. I feel they embody what this forum should be about. I blame the NDP

Haha just keep them coming. Not much is a subscriber on YouTube but I watch most of your stuff. You're welcome in my boat anytime. Shuswap?!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Ah to me these threads are why I'm here. I feel they embody what this forum should be about. I blame the NDP

Haha just keep them coming. Not much is a subscriber on YouTube but I watch most of your stuff. You're welcome in my boat anytime. Shuswap?!
You fish the Shuswap??? That would be fun sometime. I would be up for that. I'm usually on Kalamalka lake a couple weeks in the summer could just swing on over.

You live there?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 PM

Pm coming
Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 PM
Banned

We were fishing Pinehurst a few yrs ago when I noticed some whitetail running along the edge of the bush,suddenly I spotted 3 wolves running parallel to the deer.I think the deer know that wolves are scared of humans,once we were working in Wabasca and a few deer came running right onto the lease real close to us and we seen wolves in the bush that time too.This was a const site with all kinds of noise to boot.

Probably 10-12 yrs ago we caught a wolf swimming across Touchwood on the far end,this was so cool to see.

I have caught and seen some real big fish come out of Pinehurst.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:40 AM

Enjoyed that. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
First time using the IFISH PRO and landed some nice northern pike. Biggest 38" pulling drag on the rod! Wolves were howling and the water wolves were biting. Great day on the ice for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qze8WLzL_48
Great day for sure! And congrats of those very nice fish.

Thanks for posting the video. I always enjoy them.

Could I ask when you cleaned that smaller 8 lber what did you find in the stomach?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Great day for sure! And congrats of those very nice fish.

Thanks for posting the video. I always enjoy them.

Could I ask when you cleaned that smaller 8 lber what did you find in the stomach?

Thanks
Actually weighed it at home and just over 10 pounds that one. Guess I underestimated that one. You know I really can't remember looking at the stomach contents for that one so I'm going to say nothing since I usually do check if it looks full. The big fish had not been eating all week with the cold front so I'm not surprised she was empty. At Pinehurst they will often have cisco and small perch.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Actually weighed it at home and just over 10 pounds that one. Guess I underestimated that one. You know I really can't remember looking at the stomach contents for that one so I'm going to say nothing since I usually do check if it looks full. The big fish had not been eating all week with the cold front so I'm not surprised she was empty. At Pinehurst they will often have cisco and small perch.
Thanks for the reply. Only reason I asked was in the video they looked like they had full stomachs. I know the science says pike don't eat walleye past the fingerling stage but I was just curious anyway. I know that I have never found a walleye inside a pike yet. I Mostly find shiners, whitefish and suckers in the stomachs at Pinehurst.

Thanks again
Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Thanks for the reply. Only reason I asked was in the video they looked like they had full stomachs. I know the science says pike don't eat walleye past the fingerling stage but I was just curious anyway. I know that I have never found a walleye inside a pike yet. I Mostly find shiners, whitefish and suckers in the stomachs at Pinehurst.

Thanks again
Yeah I've never actually seen a walleye in a pikes stomach which really is too bad! I wish they would eat the walleye back to reasonable levels and create some giant pike! Instead the walleye seem to out compete the pike. I've caught four pound walleye back in the day from pinehurst when you could keep three that had 8 inch ciscos in them.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Cool vid. You have a new subscriber.
I enjoy your west coast vids too.
They helped me plan my first trip to the island last summer.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Cool vid. You have a new subscriber.
I enjoy your west coast vids too.
They helped me plan my first trip to the island last summer.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks... always nice to get new subs. I'm glad you find the west coast videos helpful. This was just my second season out there. So I'm pretty new to it and figuring things out myself. I think this next summer if I get out there I'll try to make some videos that may be even more helpful. I find the ocean videos don't get many views since I think it's not as popular as lake fishing. Not many people get out here.

I love it out on the island though, what a magical place to fish!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:12 PM

https://youtu.be/eJGKaCSirZE

Here is the link to a video showing how to set the I Fish Pro up... here's some pics since I didn't post last time.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM
Banned

Congrats on another great day of fishing, and thanks for sharing that video. It is always so much more fun when you are using your own rod instead of hand bombing the line onto the snow and ice. It's also a real rush when th fish makes a long run and your line is singing. Personally I would have used at least 20 lbs braided, but what do I know. I'm sitting at a computer and your putting fish on the ice.Keep up the great work, and by the way, do you also hunt?
Old 02-11-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Congrats on another great day of fishing, and thanks for sharing that video. It is always so much more fun when you are using your own rod instead of hand bombing the line onto the snow and ice. It's also a real rush when th fish makes a long run and your line is singing. Personally I would have used at least 20 lbs braided, but what do I know. I'm sitting at a computer and your putting fish on the ice.Keep up the great work, and by the way, do you also hunt?
Yeah I have a rod rigged with braid I would probably use next time as well, but this is all I had there with me with a bobber stop on the line. Could of tied one up, but this worked. Goes to show you can do a lot with 10 or 12 pound test whatever it is.

You know I haven't done any hunting since I was a kid for grouse. Maybe one day I'll get back into birding but for now fishing is an all year affair for me. We're not really much of a meat eating family. The wife and kids are pretty much vegetarian except for the odd time they may eat a little fish.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:33 AM

Beautiful looking fish, great job!

Tags
fishing, i fish pro, ice fishing, northern pike