Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Went out this past weekend, and the fishing was very slow. Marked quite a few fish, but couldn't get anything to bite. Tried slow jigging, fast jigging, bottom bouncing, laying right on the bottom... nothing worked well for us. We only managed to ice 2 65-70 cm lakers.

Wind was brutal. Steady 30 km winds with big gusts for 2 straight days. At one point the ice rumbled so hard at our feet for 5-10 seconds straight. I thought for sure the ice was going to open up right at our feet. I'm assuming an ice heave opened somewhere near us and we were feeling the shock of that.

Anyone have better luck?
Just got in from CL. A big heave opened up 2 or 3 days ago on the west side not far from the PPark. It runs north to South. It looks dangerous especially with the warm weather (open water) I did see a truck cross it but I wouldn't. So east of the PP is a no go. I went to French Bay.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Default Cold lake

We were on cold lake from the 10-12. Eight of us fished hard in depths from 40-110 feet. Landed only one laker(too small). The new pressure crack starts at pp goes to marina crack(From two weeks ago) all the way to the point north and east of pp boat launch. We were stuck on lake and thanks to a local on side by side found us a way across. People were crossing it but theres no way I would.You could get around it as we did on sat at north east point.(its a little rough)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Ya we were on a quad and sled. Even with the quad it took me a while to find a place I felt comfortable to cross that ridge. I would never attempt to cross that with a truck.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:03 AM

Make sure you take some "cold lake specials" with you they work killer
Old 02-14-2017, 05:00 AM

How thick is the ice now on the main lake ?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:47 AM

I measured 24"-30" of ice last weekend
Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 AM

Is vehicle travel still possible with the Cracks/pressure ridges north/northeast off the point of the Provincial park or is it quad/snowmobile only now? Thanks
Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Is vehicle travel still possible with the Cracks/pressure ridges north/northeast off the point of the Provincial park or is it quad/snowmobile only now? Thanks

Vehicle travel is possible, but you won't get very far unless you plan on jumping the open water crack with your truck. If you have machines, they are defiantly the way to go with these ice conditions.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:31 PM

heading up this weekend with My dad and his buddy and buddies daughter. Only have truck so I was thinking of just going on at the ski hill launch and stickin to French bay. is there and worry some cracks or heaves in French bay that anyone knows about? thanks in advance. looking like I will have to cancel my four days camping on ice first weekend of march if the ice keeps up this way.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM

I will be out fishing Cold lake in the next couple of days, I will post about ice conditions, right now it is warm up here and supposed to be all week, at these Temps ice won't be good for to long!!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
heading up this weekend with My dad and his buddy and buddies daughter. Only have truck so I was thinking of just going on at the ski hill launch and stickin to French bay. is there and worry some cracks or heaves in French bay that anyone knows about? thanks in advance. looking like I will have to cancel my four days camping on ice first weekend of march if the ice keeps up this way.
French Bay was fine. Its extremely rough. Almost like the ice froze in waves or something...Probably the wind constantly blowing ice towards that bay. Lots of trucks out though. The ice heave runs from the Garnet Beach point of French Bay and runs west/Northwest towards the PP then North to the Marina. Basically cuts off any access to quality Laker spots if you launch from the PP using a truck.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:48 PM

i am planning to head up to cold this friday and stay for the weekend, i have heard recently that the rcmp have advised to stay off the lake with trucks, is it that bad?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the updates guys, much appreciated!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
French Bay was fine. Its extremely rough. Almost like the ice froze in waves or something...Probably the wind constantly blowing ice towards that bay. Lots of trucks out though. The ice heave runs from the Garnet Beach point of French Bay and runs west/Northwest towards the PP then North to the Marina. Basically cuts off any access to quality Laker spots if you launch from the PP using a truck.
Thank you sir. We will just play it safe and stay inside french. Was hopin to try garnett but alls well we have done well at a few spots inside french. Just hope to get pops into a couple
Old 02-14-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Just got in from CL. A big heave opened up 2 or 3 days ago on the west side not far from the PPark. It runs north to South. It looks dangerous especially with the warm weather (open water) I did see a truck cross it but I wouldn't. So east of the PP is a no go. I went to French Bay.
If you enter French Bay by the ski hill the ice is good. I was there yesterday. No issues and easy driving. Now fishing was slow. Caught one lost one. They would follow but wouldn't hit.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Nice to see some good communication without the smart-ass remarks here. Not the kind of Lake you want to mess with and lotsa folks travel a fair ways and treat it as a holiday.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Nice to see some good communication without the smart-ass remarks here. Not the kind of Lake you want to mess with and lotsa folks travel a fair ways and treat it as a holiday.
X2 huge thanks have plans to come here in a couple weeks and the reports are great it cost a little coin with gas, accommodations, food, gear. So once again thanks to all that help us weekend warriors plan a safe trip.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 PM

I guess I digress... Dare to say something positive. Once again the anglers don't make the regulations. Jump on the poor bugger that works for a living and whacks a 15 lb jack because that's all he can keep and he can only get out a couple times a year and it's the only bite he got all weekend. Come on people.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM

has anyone been able to fish the "hump" just north of the p.p?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Disregard the negatively. The fish belong to all of us. Feel free and come and enjoy our resource. I'm happy to help with info and technique advise.
Just stay within the law.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el sparko View Post
has anyone been able to fish the "hump" just north of the p.p?
I did thursday night. Pretty slow for burbot. Got 1 28" and lost two more.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I did thursday night. Pretty slow for burbot. Got 1 28" and lost two more.
were you able to drive there?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Was out on Cold lake yesterday, went on at French bay, ice in French bay was good, no flood water, the bite was slow and very light, for me anyways
Old 02-18-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbloom View Post
Was out on Cold lake yesterday, went on at French bay, ice in French bay was good, no flood water, the bite was slow and very light, for me anyways
X2, pretty slow today. Just wondering what depths most are finding the lakers at lately, thanks.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:05 PM

I was there today with my son and we had action off and on all day. We iced 11 lakers between 21"-27 1/2" My son was hooked up with the first fish before I was done drilling holes. We were on a quad and managed to cross the ice heave and headed north into Sask water. Our most productive holes were bang on 100'.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 AM

Sounds like there's two trucks stuck on the lake already keep your eyes open boys

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 02:58 PM

fished saturday all day, we landed 2. my son got the first. he had never caught a laker before and now knows why i will drive 4 hours to try and tie into one.
it was about an inch and a half short so he let it go.
i caught a 6 pounder an hour or so later and let it go.
they were very light on the bite and were setting off me homemade jaw jackers all day long. they were just bumping the smelt and swimming away.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Was out today, went east down the lake on skidoo's. Fished from 11 to 3 and landed 11 lakers, lots of wet snow on the lake, no one was fishing down there
Old 02-20-2017, 11:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Got a good dump of wet snow, warm temps,mist a slush pit out there but cold temps are coming.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 AM

We were out all weekend and managed a couple each everyday but she was definitely quite slow in French bay. ice was good drove all around in French. very light bites and not once did a jaw jacker go off for us.but buddies daughter caught her first laker and a few others. then she capped it off with a 31" the last morning which was awesome to see. lots of snow came sunday and was getting slushy leaving the ice Monday.