Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 AM

Default Cold Lake Update!

Planning a trip for a buddy and myself for the very first time for Ice Fishing Cold Lake. Just wondering how things are going with Ice thickness and how the bite is going. Any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

cheers

MM
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM

Default bump...

I'm hoping to fish Cold Lake this weekend too but a friend mentioned that he heard the ice is in rough shape - some thin ice and a few open spots.

Can anyone confirm the ice conditions - especially on the north side?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 AM

I was out there Friday/Saturday.

Ice thickness at the Marina was about 2ft and a lot of trucks out on the ice (us included). Fish and Wildlife came out and we spoke to them and they said the ice this year was definitely a lot better than it was last year and we'd be fine.

As for action, Friday fished at about 80ft of water and caught 2 lakers jigging on the bottom but after that the bite died the next two days. We tried fishing at 120ft and 60 as well. If you have a flasher it would definitely help.

I spoke to someone else that was fishing the provincial park area he felt like the ice was in rough shape so he pulled a sled rather than driving on it (although other trucks were on the ice) but him and his wife were slaying the lakers on Saturday.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM

How much snow is on the ice? Enough for a sled or bring the quad?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:42 PM

Default Snow on Cold Lake

I was out there two weekends ago. I can't speak for the south end of the lake but the north side was pretty bare - we took quads on and had no issues.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutshot View Post
I was out there two weekends ago. I can't speak for the south end of the lake but the north side was pretty bare - we took quads on and had no issues.
has not been any new snow since, quad is fine.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:36 AM

Confirmed.very little snow.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:03 PM

Whats going on at Cold Lake recently? I've heard a few reports that the ice is in horrible condition because of heaves? Someone also said the RCMP advised people against going there right now?

Any of this true? Who's been out there lately and can comment on current conditions?
Old 01-29-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Whats going on at Cold Lake recently? I've heard a few reports that the ice is in horrible condition because of heaves? Someone also said the RCMP advised people against going there right now?

Any of this true? Who's been out there lately and can comment on current conditions?
I was out today. On at PP to Garnet. Ice was fine. 2 ft at garnet

Last edited by splake0; 01-29-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Banned

A friend from Cold says there's a huge crack that opened up 8-10ft,the ice cracking was heard in town!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
A friend from Cold says there's a huge crack that opened up 8-10ft,the ice cracking was heard in town!
This is true, was out on cold lake today, RCMP are asking people to stay off the ice, use EXTREME caution folks, I was out at French bay, the ice is good there
Old 01-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Stay off the ice with Trucks? Or off the ice all together?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:20 PM

I would stay off the ice around the marina, like I said I was out at French bay today and the ice was good, I did not take my truck on the lake was out on a skidoo, was out the last few days east of Garnett the ice was good that way as well

Last edited by jkbloom; 01-29-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Ice basically caved in around the lake from the marina up through English bay. Provincial side isn't affected but as always, user discretion is advised. I'd post photos but this site doesn't handle high quality photos.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:23 PM

We slept on the ice thurs night until Sunday at cold lake.
Friday around 6-630We actually had the ice heave that cracked at the marina, actually come right out past us at the provincial park.( within 30 yards of our tent) there was a 8 inch crack that opened up. I was the only guy outside the tents when it happened, was insane the power that flew by.
We only discovered the crack when we went for a walk in the dark fishing for burbot. So we fished the crack lol.
Here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4988.jpg (10.7 KB, 715 views)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:24 PM

Pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4989.jpg (6.0 KB, 539 views)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:26 PM

Pic 3
Our truck was stuck to the lake side of the crack.
Forcing us to drive over the most stable looking part of the ice/ crack this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5004.jpg (9.9 KB, 629 views)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:30 PM

Pic 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5005.jpg (15.4 KB, 452 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 01:38 AM

Crazy!!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup it is unstable, need four weeks of -20 or colder but with these temps so far the ol girl is still settling in.

Scary as hell when on the ice and you hear the rumble from Saskatchewan and it moves across the lake, your ice hole goes empty then boils over....earry for sure.

Reported larger opening than 6" too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM

Thanks for posting that info, I'm heading there next week and now for sure we'll be bringing quads.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:15 PM

Probably heading up there in the next couple weeks and have been hearing the changing ice reports/conditions. Never fished the lake before, could somebody familiar with the lake clarify some of the locations I hear mentioned and if truck travel is still possible on them. Specifically-French Bay, English Bay, Garnett.....Thanks for any feedback.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Probably heading up there in the next couple weeks and have been hearing the changing ice reports/conditions. Never fished the lake before, could somebody familiar with the lake clarify some of the locations I hear mentioned and if truck travel is still possible on them. Specifically-French Bay, English Bay, Garnett.....Thanks for any feedback.
GameHunter says out from the Provincial Park so that pretty much is in your face.

If you are going up for the first time to fish this lake, and, still planning on driving a truck on after seeing those pics above...good luck. Your call to make. I know what my call would be. The rest is up to you.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:16 PM

The major crack is in front of the marina. My guess is that crack extended out to the provincial park where we were. Although the ice is 2 ft still be careful.
We had to drive over 4 fault cracks to get out, I would not ever be driving over heaves. We had no choice..
You can still drive on at pp but maybe stay closer to shore in the bay.
French and English bay I have no idea
This lake is somewhat new to me.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:47 PM

Won't be chancing driving on if it's unsafe, thanks for the info. Where is English and French Bay at on the lake?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:23 PM

We will be up there on Saturday, I will post on what I see. Talked with a few people and they haven't had a problem so we will check it out. Haven't had a run in my Nylons in a long time so I am sure we big boys will be OK!!!

tight lines everyone

MM
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Won't be chancing driving on if it's unsafe, thanks for the info. Where is English and French Bay at on the lake?
English Bay has the same crack as the marina. French bay is fine, I was out there today.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM

Mother Nature strikes again hey! That's some awesome power to pull a 2' thick ice pack apart and tear it like a sheet of paper hey. Wow! Glad you guys made it out of there safely GameHunter. I would have s..t myself I think having never had an experience like that before. Then again I have never fished Cold Lake before and the last couple years I've noticed a lot of sketchy ice reports up there. Thinking if I do ever get up that way it will be either with the boat or ski doo only to be on the safe side. Good luck all and stay safe out there, no fish is worth the loss of a life.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Mother Nature strikes again hey! That's some awesome power to pull a 2' thick ice pack apart and tear it like a sheet of paper hey. Wow! Glad you guys made it out of there safely GameHunter. I would have s..t myself I think having never had an experience like that before. Then again I have never fished Cold Lake before and the last couple years I've noticed a lot of sketchy ice reports up there. Thinking if I do ever get up that way it will be either with the boat or ski doo only to be on the safe side. Good luck all and stay safe out there, no fish is worth the loss of a life.
Yeah I shyt myself when the earthquake was going on.
Would of probably been pretty funny watching me run brainlessly in everywhich direction haha.
Kinda like a deer after a gunshot.
Scary how the crack left us between the lake and shore on the drive out a few days later.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 PM

Is there enough snow for sleds? Or is quad the way to go?