Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 09:46 PM

Question Iced Rod Guides

I was out of the river today and was having issue casting when I noticed my first few guides were iced almost solid, needless today it makes it hard to cast.

I was just curious if anyone had any tricks to slow the icing? I was thinking maybe Rem-DriLube Spray?

I am just worried about chemicals damaging the line prematurely.

Maybe its just something fly fishermen deal with, this is my first year fishing when the water is apparently below freezing.

What do you use? Or do you just break it off every few casts?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:33 PM

I break it off as it forms. Gives me something to do as I'm usually not catching many fish when it's below zero...
Old 10-14-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I was out of the river today and was having issue casting when I noticed my first few guides were iced almost solid, needless today it makes it hard to cast.

I was just curious if anyone had any tricks to slow the icing? I was thinking maybe Rem-DriLube Spray?

I am just worried about chemicals damaging the line prematurely.

Maybe its just something fly fishermen deal with, this is my first year fishing when the water is apparently below freezing.

What do you use? Or do you just break it off every few casts?
Active avoid collecting wet line. Your guides will only freeze if the line is wet. If you are nymphing---user shorter casts, and more weight to ensure your fly gets into the strike zone. If you are swinging streamers, some stripping is inevitable. I find the temperature has to be above 4C (at the airport) to avoid significant icing of the guides at the river.

The river water, itself, is not below freezing. It is the local air temperature and the ability to evaporate or dry the guides/line. In the middle of winter, when a chinook rolls through, the warm weather is always accompanied by a 30-60km bone dry wind. The wind sucks, but it helps keep the guides and line dry. But because the water is above freezing, dipping your rod in the water will melt the iced guides. They just have to dry off more quickly than they would freeze.

Otherwise, just break the ice off every few casts. But be careful, over-zealous clearing of the guides can result in a broken tip section. I have done it before...twice.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:48 AM

Simple trick that works for me...dab some chapstick on each guide, work it around the inside of the guide with your fingers to help soften it....re-apply when needed.
There is also a product on the market made by "Loon"...but at 7.95/bottle....chapstick is a better deal.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:48 AM

Your casting too much if they are freezing. There really is no need if its that cold you will be nyphing. Belive it or not dipping your rod into the water every now and then will melt any accumulated ice. Obiously huge chunks you will need to break off. I fish all winter this is all i have ever done. Also fishing when its above 0°c helps alot.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:47 PM

Theres no cure for icey guides. Just break it off as needed. dipping it in the water doesn't work as well as people say.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 PM

The best way to avoid icing guides is to fish when the temps are at least 4-5 degrees above freezing,,,, a little thing called wind chill when you cast will still cause ice build up at temps just above freezing,, or even better,,,, take a tropical fishing vacation where the only ice you will find is in your drink!!!!

PS... to avoid the shack nasties while waiting for warmer weather (or a tropical vacation) ,,, I tie tie flies in my man cave ,,, or go ice fishing!

Last edited by Pikebreath; 10-24-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Smile

I use Labello. You can pick it up at any drug store. It's like a chapstick but softer. Chapstick also works.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Yup

Stick your rod in the water-the ice thaws