Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-24-2016, 03:44 AM

Default Griffon...Experience

Hey Ya'all.
Springer is looking for information on possibly his next dog . I am looking for Yay's or Nays on the Griffon. I was really leaning towards a GSP , then a GWP, Until I did some more research on the Griffon and what it has to offer as a Companion , Hunting Dog and family pet.

If you own or know someone who does and what their opinions are please let me know. Also looking for breeders in Alberta if possible.

Any pics of one holding a Pheasant would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:53 AM

I don't have a Griffon myself, but I did a lot of research on them, and came close to getting one. I like the fact that they don't shed, and that they are good for people with allergies. They apparently work a bit slower than a GSP, or a GWP, and they aren't as inclined to range as far. They are great for colder weather, but can get overheated in warm weather because of their coats. The biggest reason for me not choosing a Griffon was that there are very few breeders in Canada, and after talking to the ones that I found, I was not all that impressed with the breeders, and there were not a lot of references from people with puppies from them. I chose a Drahthaar, because it is quite similar, and the breeder was highly recommended by many people, and I was very comfortable after talking to the breeder and people that had dogs from him. After visiting his facility to pick up my pup a couple of weeks ago, I am very impressed with his dogs, and his facility. If you can find a good breeder, I think that a Griffon would make an excellent hunting/family dog.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 AM

I have hunted over two Gtiffibs, one was from a Jennel in the States, and My good buddy Hirnheaf has Trsmp, a tremendous dig out of a Jennel
In Quebec.
Tramp has been a tremendously strong dog that I have had the pleasure of hunting over for the last ten years , and although he is starting to slow up, his nose was as good last year as a young dog.

Strong swimmer , bull rush basher , and go hard all day type of dog!
However , I hunt over thus dig for a week every year and that is it.
What I have seen however , would not deter me from getting one if I were looking for a pointer .
Cat
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 AM

I've got some friends who have a Griffon and he's an incredible dog. He's a great hunter but also a great house pet. Based on him, I would definitely recommend one. I don't believe there are any breeders in Alberta or at least there weren't when I last checked. Theirs is from Quebec. I looked into Griffons when I got my Brittany but I didn't like the idea of shipping the dog across the country at 8 weeks old. Having said that, lots of people do it and it certainly didn't have any ill effects on my friend's Griffon.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 03-24-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock Fever View Post
I've got some friends who have a Griffon and he's an incredible dog. He's a great hunter but also a great house pet. Based on him, I would definitely recommend one. I don't believe there are any breeders in Alberta or at least there weren't when I last checked. Theirs is from Quebec. I looked into Griffons when I got my Brittany but I didn't like the idea of shipping the dog across the country at 8 weeks old. Having said that, lots of people do it and it certainly didn't have any ill effects on my friend's Griffon.
There is a breeder listed in Alberta, but I know nothing about them, as I had already put a deposit down on a pup when I heard about them. A friend mof mine has apparently contacted them, as he wants a Griffon, but he didn't tell me what he found out.

http://www.razorsedge-griffs.ca/
Old 03-24-2016, 07:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is a breeder listed in Alberta, but I know nothing about them, as I had already put a deposit down on a pup when I heard about them. A friend mof mine has apparently contacted them, as he wants a Griffon, but he didn't tell me what he found out.

http://www.razorsedge-griffs.ca/
There is a breeder in Hardisty as well, Pm me if you need contact details
Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 AM

Great dogs, we just put a deposit down for a pup from Shock kennels.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 AM
Banned

Default They clump ......it's like shedding .

Griphen Le Griffon is my 11 th versatile pointer .
Best natural bird Hunter I have owned . I doubt
There will be another breeding like the one he
Came from . I would try to get one out of Duchasseure
Or Griffondor kennels in Quebec . Look for the Pipo dog
In its background . This guy came from Razors Edge
I know she doesn't have any pups at the moment
Mine is pretty high strung , over protective , doesn't really
LiKe kids . Sorta like his owner .
Very high maintenance, that coat is a pain , in the field
A burr magnet .
Believe about a third of what you read on these dogs .
My next dog is a lab .
Griffons shed , we clip ours ....
When he grows out he looks like this !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.3 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Newellknik; 03-24-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM

I think the only dogs who don't have too many issues with burrs and such are the short haired pointers but they would not be my first choice- and I hunt over a GSP!
I grew up with labs and if I were going to buy another dog it would be a lab , I Like them far more than pointers for several reasons.
However like I stated, if it was s pointer it would be a Griffon
Cat
Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 AM

ours was a hunting machine, go all day. great family dog. not up on Alberta breeders anymore tho we picked up our's locally.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 AM

I found if I spray hair detangler and use mane and tail shampoo the burrs brush right out... The problem is I always forget it, lol.

We find Stan doesn't shed, he drops hair during the warmer months, all we do is strip him once a week and you would be hard pressed to find a dog hair in the house. But we have to watch him early season because like it was mentioned above, he can and does over heat.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:10 PM

Wow thanks so much my Bird Hunt'n Brethern.
Some fantastic responses and experiences you have shared. I look at it like a 14 yr committment again.

Hal i was looking at the Wire Hair originally from Kristie and then after doing some google search she comes up as a Griffon Breeder as well.

Elkhunter 11 and Cat , I totally respect your knowledge , been following it for years on here.Thanks Boyz.

Angery john thanks for the pic with the Rooster.

The rest of you thanks as well , really appreciate the honesty.

My son has a Chocolate Lab he has bred twice with a Poodle , for the Disney Family dog Labradoodle and my Bride is convinced we should get one of the Litter he has right now ...I'm not at the same spot , but possibly they could be a birder to ? anyone have insight on them..

Cheers ya'all.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:51 PM

I have friends with labradoodles and they make pretty good gun dogs- don't forget that the poodle was originaly a bird dog!
I also have a buddy with a pure bred standard poodle and it is a wonderful versatile hunter .
Cat
Old 03-24-2016, 06:54 PM

Affectionately known as "the village Idiot", this dog is anything but when it come to birds!
In fact, I don't think I ever saw him blink a bird that another dog picked up,but he sure has pointed a few that were missed by others !

On this hunt, we went into a field in Brooks that 4 hunters and two dogs had just worked over hard . Tramp picked up two birds for us to finish our daily limit.
Tramp has never bumped a bird when I have hunted with Hornhead ,either. Here he is holding a bird for a very long time while I got into position for a pic

Cat
Old 03-24-2016, 08:45 PM

nice to see the pics of Tramp and me Cat. those were good times. T's showing his age now ... well not really he's as goofy as ever if there isn't birds around. we are both turning 70 this year ... I am waiting for him to slow down, but ...
would I get another when he's gone ... I don't know ... if you don't hunt with them I think they get bored. one statement I heard about griffs is ... " the good thing is they are puppies until they are 10, the bad thing is they are puppies until 10". the best natured dog I have ever owned. I got him from Quebec . he is a natural pointer.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:15 PM

Springer,

Our family has had Griffons for over 30 years. The best dogs are coming out of NAVHDA hunting lines. Steer clear of the show ring dogs....different dogs altogether (temperament, coat, hunting drive, size, etc). Feel free to PM me with anymore questions. I can recommend some breeders that are putting out excellent hunting stock, and great family dogs too boot.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:39 PM

They are a great gun dog.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default This is an interesting read ....re. griffons

Since I started with continental breeds or versatile dogs my opinion
About small gene pools has changed considerably .
This lengthy read about Griffon genetics just shows you that
Even pure bred dog breeding can be a little suspect .
The two dogs from France in the article are in my dogs breeding
Going back only a few generations . He has some coat coloration
As indicated in the article , that the ky gene dogs have . I would be
More concerned about the displacia than coat color .
Like his father ,this dog is a bird hunting machine .
I just stumbled on this on the net ....

http://gryphonranch.com/Breed%20impr...ion%20v2.1.pdf

Again it's long but if I was getting a Griffon ,I'd be paying attention
Old 03-26-2016, 12:21 PM

Honestly you won't find much of a difference between the different contential breeds, you will notice a difference in the kennel they're coming from.
I hunt where there are a lot of burrs and by the end of the season the Pudelpointer was in bad shape.
Besides finding a good kennel I would make sure the parents had good tight coats then pick the pup with the least facial furnishings.