Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Default Elk - Crown Land vs Farm Land

I see a lot of guys promote putting miles on the truck and finding permission on farm land / lease land. I am not against this strategy but I do prefer the wildness that Crown Land brings so tend to favor this option.
So my question is: Is hunting typically 'easier' on farm land, with more game available and generally less spooked by people?

This year I am determined to take an elk and have for the past 2 months been getting fit so I am ready to scout come summer. Am I wasting my time looking for elk on crown land? I'll try go west as far as I can, my research to date suggests that is where the elk will be.

Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Banned

Private land/farm field elk hunts may provide you more exclusive and accessible hunts, more often this type of hunt becomes a " sniping of elk " rather than thick bush and extreme bugling encounters with bulls,

Elk in fields during the rut the bigg bulls tend to linger safe just out if sight, while the antlerless and small bulls venture out in the open ,

Just some of my experiences after hunting elk 40 years and killing almost that many elk,,,

And 90% of those 6 point bulls elk on crown land , it is just a much more fulfilling " Hunt" in my humble opinion
Old 03-22-2016, 12:50 PM

Depends where the crown land is. Where do you plan on hunting?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:12 PM

Crown land is a great place to start. Not sure where you plan on hunting but crown land can get a little pressured sometimes and a piece of private land would be ideal for this reason. Once you figure out where you want to hunt, it wouldn't hurt to ask for some permission in the area as a back up plan.

Personally, I like hunting the big bush but I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to take an elk standing in a field. However, i'm not lucky enough. Ha

Mad
Old 03-22-2016, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Thinking of either deep into Waiparous or SW of Calgary so 402/404. I'm hoping to be heading in the the right direction is all ie: west towards the mountains.

I would agree with you elkdump, but also meat is important so I'll see what options I can find in the summer.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Thinking of either deep into Waiparous or SW of Calgary so 402/404. I'm hoping to be heading in the the right direction is all ie: west towards the mountains.

I would agree with you elkdump, but also meat is important so I'll see what options I can find in the summer.
If meat is important, start by getting a cow draw, or at least applying.
Way easier to take a cow than a bull. At the same time you will learn a lot about how to pattern elk, and where they are at certain times of the year. Bulls generally are not where the cows are except for September, with the exception of the small rag horn 3-5 points and spikers. West is a good place to start, if mountain hunting, the treeline and slide paths without trees are where I would start looking.

Spruce
Old 03-22-2016, 01:45 PM

It has been my experience (mostly in the January hunt) that elk are more mobile than deer. That means that they may or may not be around. The advantage of a farm/ranch hunt is, if you know the landowner well, you can just call him or her and ask if the elk are around. A "haven't seen any in a week" can help save you a drive out there and fruitless day searching.

I personally think this "herd mobility" is one reason that a lot more people truck hunt for elk. You drive out to the first place you have permission for and can usually pretty quickly tell if there are any elk around. If there aren't you hop back in the truck and drive to the next place. At least that seems to be life in 312 LOL Truth be told however,I've gotten sort of bored with it.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:56 PM

I'm building my priority for a cow draw, don't think I'm there just yet. Thanks for those pointers Spruce.

Sounds like you're in need of a change in scenery Okotokian, and drawing a tag in 312 ain't easy if I recall correctly.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 PM

If your looking for meat it's really tough to beat a alfalfa fed yearling heifer on farmland. This past season I shot a calf on a canola field. Really good eating. I've learned over the years to never shoot the lead cow.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Private land/farm field elk hunts may provide you more exclusive and accessible hunts, more often this type of hunt becomes a " sniping of elk " rather than thick bush and extreme bugling encounters with bulls,

Elk in fields during the rut the bigg bulls tend to linger safe just out if sight, while the antlerless and small bulls venture out in the open ,

Just some of my experiences after hunting elk 40 years and killing almost that many elk,,,

And 90% of those 6 point bulls elk on crown land , it is just a much more fulfilling " Hunt" in my humble opinion
This^^^Nothing like a bugling bull coming in! By far the most exiting hunt out there
Old 03-22-2016, 06:54 PM

crown land can be tougher to find them but no permission is needed
farm land u can have them found but if they jump one fence and u don't have
permission there all u can do is sit and watch them and that sucks after a couple weeks
in the farm land knowing where they are and seeing them is completely different then shooting them and they soon learn what land they are safe on either way it's a lot of fun and frustration at times
Old 03-22-2016, 07:40 PM

The most successful Elk hunters are hunting on private land and if you are satisfied with a cow it is fairly easy. I think the best Elk hunters kill big bulls on Crown land on a regular basis. These fellows are few and far between IMO.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:54 PM

There are many good aspects to both types of elk hunting but my preference is crown land. I know for a fact that there are many excellent areas to hunt farmland and there have been some great bulls harvested. I also believe that we need hunters to harvest elk in farm and ranching areas to control numbers.
I prefer a different kind of hunt though and that's what draws me to the crown lands.
For me, hunting is so much more than the harvest, whatever the species. I want solitude and don't want to have to worry myself with property lines and access issues. I also prefer hunting from a camp setting......haha.I always tell people that my camping season starts in October/November every year.

As suggested above, if it's just meat you want, hunt farm and ranchlands late season for cow. Many ranchers in 314, 318 and 320 would be happy to give permission to a responsible hunter to help with their elk problems.

Good luck and enjoy!!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:54 PM

I really enjoy hunting both and have had great success with hunting both. i just hunt where the elk are. If they aren't on the private land I'll go check out some of my crown honey holes.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
... hunting elk 40 years and killing almost that many elk... ...And 90% of those 6 point bulls...
Wow. Nice work!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It has been my experience (mostly in the January hunt) that elk are more mobile than deer. That means that they may or may not be around. The advantage of a farm/ranch hunt is, if you know the landowner well, you can just call him or her and ask if the elk are around. A "haven't seen any in a week" can help save you a drive out there and fruitless day searching.

I personally think this "herd mobility" is one reason that a lot more people truck hunt for elk. You drive out to the first place you have permission for and can usually pretty quickly tell if there are any elk around. If there aren't you hop back in the truck and drive to the next place. At least that seems to be life in 312 LOL Truth be told however,I've gotten sort of bored with it.
How true. It is pretty easy down there really. Don't take long to get on them. I've leaned toward the crown too. Feels more like hunting cause you actually have to work for it. That said though I'll probably head down for a day or two anyway and see what happens...lol. Might get lucky again. Called one in this year to 30 yrds in 2 1/2 hrs first day I hunted. It is convenient being so close though.
This year may be a horse back trip. It's in the talks and I'm pretty exited about that! Never been on a horse back hunt.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:

The areas you've mentioned are great hunting areas (I hunt 402/404 myself), but are very popular and pressure gets high on animals quickly. If you simply troll the roads you'll probably be disappointed or at best come home with a whitetail. You'll need to distance yourself from the weekend warriors and get back into the more remote areas, which will mean some OHV use, horses, or good old foot power.

Don't let anyone tell you there aren't elk there. Glad to hear you're working on your fitness - those areas are the definition of sweat equity.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:34 AM

If you manage to harvest an elk in 402 I hope you have some plan in place to get it to your vehicle. Can be quite warm in September so you may not have the time it takes to field dress it and pack it out to the road before it begins to spoil. You will need some pack frames and some extra man power or some pack horses. Killing an elk out there is the easy part. Retrieving it before spoilage is the challenge unless the temperature is cool.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you're in need of a change in scenery Okotokian, and drawing a tag in 312 ain't easy if I recall correctly.
You're right about the need for a change of scenery for sure. But 312 isn't that hard to get a tag. I draw late cow elk no worse than every other year. Access is the problem.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Wow. Nice work!
A lot of hard work , ie for weeks on end, day after day, walking several Kms before dawn to be deep in country/ elk hidy spots during the rut , laying on wet or frozen ground for hours to be there when the elk herd crosses a meadow or a River, laying still while mosquitoes and horse flies or yellow jackets eat you alive , holding sneeze or a cough till your eyes water and your throat burns because if you sneeze or cough the herd will stampede into the next MU ,,,

Then packing meat and antlers for Kms out to the truck,,

phac ! It's no wonder my legs and back aches 24/7 ,

But it's worth it ! , lol
Old 03-23-2016, 09:44 AM

Barn yard elk are much easier than crown. In crown you might have to trail a elk herd for 20 miles. Barnyard just phone farmer ask when they are around then go behind barn place rifle on fence post and shoot elk. Then ask farmer to bring front end loader pick up elk.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 AM

I've chased elk on private land for the last 4 years. It was a challenge figuring it out but finally the puzzle cam together last year with my first cow. It's a ton of fun if you have good access. They are pretty pattern-able at times I'm finding. Never hunted them on public land. I have always thought a trip into the mountains for them like AlpineGuy would be a great adventure.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM

Appreciate all the feedback, especially on packing the meat out. I normally hunt in November but all being to plan will be with a bow this year so will be warmer. My dream is getting so far in on my quad, then hiking in real deep before setting up a little base camp to hunt from. Everyone I know thinks I'm nuts but that's hunting to me.

Alpineguy and elkdump you hit the very point of what I'm trying to achieve. I hear so many bad things about access and even when you have it, guys falling over each other chasing game. I want meat over trophies but am more than prepared to put in the effort to go get it.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 PM

402 is general 404(6 point or larger) is draw after Sept 17 . Both are big big zones with lots of area to cover . Definitely some good elk to be had but your gonna work for it that's for sure.. put some miles on your boots ad you will attain your goal. Good luck this season and let us know how it goes..
Old 03-23-2016, 09:53 PM

IIRC quad use is OK in 402, I don't think anywhere in 404. Cows in 404 closer to the road in Nov, a bull you better be in real good shape or have access to buddies or horses, my experiences anyway. I would try the cow elk first, draw time is shorter & success rate higher for the same effort. Best of luck.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
The most successful Elk hunters are hunting on private land and if you are satisfied with a cow it is fairly easy. I think the best Elk hunters kill big bulls on Crown land on a regular basis. These fellows are few and far between IMO.
Very true. There are some great deep woods elk hunters on this site that do very well.