Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 01:20 PM

Default Deer Hunting 101

looking for some help finding information of the basics of deer hunting .
Most specifically looking for videos ( or books ) but would much prefer videos .

Have kind of gone through Amazon, Chapters , and looked around a BP , WSS, Cab, etc , and of course youtube .

I`m guessing that there are a lot of places to look that I have no knowledge of , hence the thread .

I am looking/hoping for something that gets right down to the beginner basics, in all aspects from start to finish , that pertains to our neck of the woods .
( I found what I thought to be a good book , and although a lot of it was good , it was American and talked a lot about trees and bushes that we don't have around here ) .

Kind of like if an experienced hunter( while not hunting ) was wearing a go-pro for example and narrating as he walked through the bush , pointing out multiple examples of rubs and scraps , and bedding areas and game trails , and feeding areas etc . even being over redundit in fact . I rather hear too much of something I know , than not enough of something I don`t.

I am the type that needs a book in my hands or screen that I can go again and again , until it makes sense to me .

I have read lots of advice etc on here , but its all over the place , and trying to find some of it again its very time consuming etc.( yes , even if I mark or tag it or whatever )

This coming season is number 4 , and although I got close to pulling the trigger last year , I still have not harvested a deer. And yes , I realize that its may take some time .

A large part of my problem , is simply not having enough time for really scouting around and actually hunting ( hunting has only been 1,2,or 3 two day trips out into the crown land west of Sundre , and scouting is about the same.

Would love to get on some private land etc ....ya , I know door knocking , But thats another thread .

So being able to know whats going on before I get out there , is what I`m after .

And please don`t say things like `you just need to make more time `or `you just need to get more experience, it will come `. etc .

So in a nut shell , does anybody have First hand knowledge of any good quality books or videos that they would recommend ( or sell ) .

Gee , maybe somebody that has been laid off and has lots of time on their hands could produce and market such a video . Deer , Elk Moose 101 , 102 , 103 etc etc , Goose and duck hunting etc ... for the beginner
Harvesting , dressing , packing out , butchering or taking to a butcher ( what to expect ) sort of things ... the basics , and more .

What I don`t need , is more outfitter`s videos of how great they are at getting a client , that big trophy whatever .
Well OK , those are good to watch sometimes too , but I`d rather see a video of the average hunter .

Thanks kindly for you time
Bob
Old 03-19-2016, 04:35 PM

Have not seen such a comprehensive video out there. I would keep watching the shorts snips out there and glean the info from there.

Also try to switch up your tactics, enjoy the experience trying something new and the try something new again. That's the fun I find in hunting, keeping it interesting.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Have you learned at all from your limited time afield?
Rhetorical. I know the answer is yes 100%. Keep wearing out that boot leather. Prime private land should be on your to do list.
You can read all you want about the game of hockey. It will help but nothing will replace lacing the skates up and hitting the ice.

My suggestion. Hit up the hunting partner thread and seek a good mentor. Unfortunately what you're seeking, I don't believe will fastrack you as well as being out there. Sorry to be that guy. Not trying to offend.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:21 PM

Chances are that you would learn more from a good mentor in two or three days than you will from a pile of videos over two years . Check out the hunting partner thread. Usually there are guys with a wealth of local experience that would be happy to spend some field time with a dedicated and serious beginner.
Worth a try anyway.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:36 PM

I havent seen any videos like that around. but why would you ask some one else to do all your legwork. Why don't you just get out into the bush on your weekends and practice your skills I don't mean to sound like a heel but, that's why we all hunt is to get that feeling of a job well done on our own terms.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:16 PM

First off , thank you for your input .

No question , that boots/time in the bush is the best thing , I think , that`s a given .

But until then ,and frankly , as well as then , I`m quite sure that getting as much information/education as I can , how ever I can , is the best course of action .

I certainly don`t expect to read or watch a few books and videos , and think I know it all and am ready to go hunting , not by a LONG shot , But it will help .

My father was a very avid hunter for most of his life ( he`s 85 now ) and although he is still able to do a lot more hiking than 90 % of guys his age , he is , ... 85

I and my 22 yr old son , sit down with him now and then , and talk hunting , but that`s getting more difficult now as he has hearing issues .
I hunted grouse with him when I was young , but never really got into big game hunting until the last few years with my son .

Dam , a time machine sure would be a wonderful thing to have about now , didn't know it then , but for where I'm with my son now , I sure regret not taking up hunting with Dad for all those years .

The other thing I looking for info on , which is also as much of the education , is animal behavior etc . ie; I understand for example that a Mule deer , when spooked , will bound off of a short distance , and then stop and look back , the whities , just take off , but for how far ? Some say , they will circle back .

How much does what kind of weather affect them etc .
Things like this , and much more .

Do animals use the same trails every year ( short of Mother Nature changing the ability of those trails ) ?
If I can find a good game trail ( cross trails ) in the summer , can I expect those to still be in use in the winter ?

Do deer change their habits at all , when the pressures of hunting season start ( in the busy areas ) ?

Is there something that you found out after years of hunting , that you never knew , that has made a substantial ( or small ) difference to the way you approach hunting ? Or between the kill and the dinner plate ?

How much different are bucks vs does in these behavior methods ?

I know that the bucks tend to get " stupid " during the rut ( course that's just a guy thing )

But what about the does ? etc etc etc ?

To me , having a good understanding of these sorts of things , before getting out into the bush , can only help make the time , in the bush , that much more valuable .

At this point , a rack is nice , but filling the freezer is more important , but above all , is spending time in the great outdoors , ten fold , if its with my son .

Again thanks for your time .
Bob
Old 03-20-2016, 02:13 PM

I'd get a mentor.

Every hunt is pretty situational.... Time, temp, season, geography, weather, pressure, predators, food, rut.... They all combine to give a guy hints as to whats happening with the animals.

Going out with a mentor would be your best bet.

I read a bit out of magazines... The Canadian ones.. And there's some good stuff in them. I also got out lots and lots.

And lots. ..... And I observed... Made connections.

Impatience is your biggest enemy. Every time out in the field is a great opportunity to pick up a valuable nugget.

I also had mentors..... Listen to them, ask questions.... Don't pester.

It sortof sounds like your itchen to shoot a deer... Not so much hunt one. Every time your out scouting or packing a gun... Your experiencing 'the hunt'... You should enjoy it... Slow down. But that's just my take on it.

Take uP bird hunting. Lots of bang bang there if that's a need.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-20-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I'd get a mentor.

Every hunt is pretty situational.... Time, temp, season, geography, weather, pressure, predators, food, rut.... They all combine to give a guy hints as to whats happening with the animals.

Going out with a mentor would be your best bet.

I read a bit out of magazines... The Canadian ones.. And there's some good stuff in them. I also got out lots and lots.

And lots. ..... And I observed... Made connections.

Impatience is your biggest enemy. Every time out in the field is a great opportunity to pick up a valuable nugget.

I also had mentors..... Listen to them, ask questions.... Don't pester.

It sortof sounds like your itchen to shoot a deer... Not so much hunt one. Every time your out scouting or packing a gun... Your experiencing 'the hunt'... You should enjoy it... Slow down. But that's just my take on it.

Take uP bird hunting. Lots of bang bang there if that's a need.
This is great advice^^. Get out and experience it for yourself and you will be amazed at what you learn. As far as videos and books go try maybe looking into less broad of a topic. Instead of looking for "how to deer hunt" look for "how to butcher a deer" and "tips for treestand placement" etc etc keep in mind nature has no specific playlist or playbook.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-20-2016, 05:19 PM

A subscription to Alberta Outdoorsman will help. There are a ton of articles that have helped me immensely over the years
Old 03-20-2016, 06:16 PM

Check this out gives a bit of advice:

http://www.vpt.org/clip?889

For books definitely look at: Big Bucks the Benoit Way, and Hunting Bigwoods Bucks by Hal Blood. Both are good resources

Some other tips:

1) Ditch the camo crap they sell at Cabela's or Wholesale Sports. Go buy a Flannel jacket that doesn't make any noise when you scratch it. Also find some pants that don't make noise when you scratch them. I wear sweat pants and they seem to work fine. I'm not out to win any fashion shows, I want to shoot deer. Look at what the Benoits wear in the video above. That should give you an idea of the type of wardrobe and gun you want.

2) Hunt where the deer are, not where you want them to be. Lots of people sit on cut lines and fields where there are no deer thinking its the perfect place for a deer to come out.

3) If you do want to hunt fields and cut lines sit back a bit into the bush. Most deer trails will follow the cut line or field opening 10 yards inside the brush line.

4) Get out of your truck and do some hoofing around. You may see deer from the truck but it's not going to help you become a better hunter.

5) If its hot hunt water, if its cold hunt food/trails.

6) If you can do it, take a week off from work and go farther North where there is less hunting pressure the 2nd or 3rd week of November.

7) You dont have to be far off a major road to shoot deer. Some guys go back 15 miles to hunt. I've shot most of my deer within 5 miles of a major road.

That's just a few of the things I've learned hunting and have found that helped.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:02 PM

I sure wish someone gave me all those answers when I started out. Sorry this is not what u wanted to hear but spend time in the field Get to know land owners and public lands. Sounds like u want it all just given to you. It doesn't work that way.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I sure wish someone gave me all those answers when I started out. Sorry this is not what u wanted to hear but spend time in the field Get to know land owners and public lands. Sounds like u want it all just given to you. It doesn't work that way.
Wow , not sure how you get the idea that I " want it all just given to " me .

I was just asking about if anybody knew of any good books or videos , and or where a good source to search for them would be .
Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 AM

http://store.prophetriver.com/safari...-ken-dunwoody/
Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Here's a good basics article for you.
https://www.biggamelogic.com/Article...hers-Dont.aspx
Old 03-21-2016, 05:13 PM

Like everyone has already said; nothing beats a good mentor. That being said, a book I enjoyed reading and was fairly informative is Steven Rinella's book called " Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1 Big Game". (Volume 2 is small game)

It may not go into all the specific details your looking for, but it definitely touches on all aspects of hunting strategies, scouting , spotting habitats etc. for most big game in North America.

I got it at chapters for around 25$ and it's well worth it.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Phone Jackie Bushman...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Wow , not sure how you get the idea that I " want it all just given to " me .

I was just asking about if anybody knew of any good books or videos , and or where a good source to search for them would be .
I searched high and mighty for a book that would teach more about deer behavior etc and I think I only need these 3 books.
I bought these two at chapters indigo online. They are excellent reads so much info.
*Real world whitetail behavior revised edition by Jim Roy
*Strategies for Whitetails by Charles J Alsheimer
And one for muleys. It's from the states but info can still be applied here.
*Hunting open country mule deer by Dwight Schuh

Wish I had them before and they are reasonably priced.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 PM

Rabb , Sako , passthru . and takeiteasy , thank you for the info , will look into them , although passthru , I've already read that and a number of other linked articles but thanks just the same .

Willowayin , first off , welcome to AO , I like the fact that your first post comes with good info . will look into those as well . Thanks
Bob
Old 03-22-2016, 03:44 PM

Steven Rinella's book a Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game is awesome!
Old 03-22-2016, 04:56 PM

My Favorite Book, Postgraduate Whitetails by Gene Wensel

And it's not about having time, it's about making time.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Steven Rinella's book a Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game is awesome!
My wife bought this for me recently - I agree a very good read. I wish the book was coil-bound like a cookbook though so it would stay flat and open.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 PM

Books and videos whet my appetite but simply spending time hunting is the way to go. Mentor help is crucial otherwise.

I am surprised no one here has offered through a PM to take you on a few trips. I am way down in 108 and for me to help, you'd spend a half day driving for a half day hunting (2 hours each way). But if you want to get within shooting range of a doe, send me a PM. I will give you at least a half day for your hunt or more if we have time and we need it. While I can't shoot for you, odds are I can give you a chance at 200 yards or less. But it's hunting and the deer aren't always cooperative. (Last year a bunch of yahoos were throwing up snowballs and shooting at them with a shotgun in the middle of a section of hunting land. That screwed up my plans for three new hunters that day.)

Prairie hunting in our south prairie WMUs is not too tough if you're shooting. Archery however takes more time and skill. I can only help with gun hunting.

Bush hunting is a different experience. It sounds to me like you have good advice, but really, you don't seem to have enough time to spend the days hunting that are needed for that. If meat is a priority then, head onto private land in the prairies.

You're starting well - hunting 4 years without harvest. That's a sign of persistence and perseverance. You'll be fine.