Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-17-2016, 08:36 AM

Default Can you carry your handgun on your property?

I was reading the thread on self defence and a question poped up. I didn't want to derail the that thread. So the question is can you legally carry your handgun if you are on your own property say home, acreage, land etc?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 AM

You can carry a loaded restricted firearm anywhere that it is legal for you to discharge that firearm. Anyone that owns a restricted firearm should know where they can legally discharge that firearm.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You can carry a loaded restricted firearm anywhere that it is legal for you to discharge that firearm.
I guess I can't carry mine to the range because it's not legal to discharge it in my vehicle LOL. The answer is No. Unless you have ATC.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
I guess I can't carry mine to the range because it's not legal to discharge it in my vehicle LOL. The answer is No. Unless you have ATC.
You can't legally carry it to the range while it is loaded. I guess that you missed the word loaded in my post.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
I was reading the thread on self defence and a question poped up. I didn't want to derail the that thread. So the question is can you legally carry your handgun if you are on your own property say home, acreage, land etc?
No.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 AM

Default Carry on property

This might mean a farmers property 10 miles from home quarter. I expect they had to draw the line somewhere, so no. Need to live a bit further South for some of this stuff to do with carrying.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I would assume you are speaking of open carry or Concealed carry , not transporting.
No unless you are on a certified range or have a permit to carry on your property .
Cat
Old 03-17-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So the question is can you legally carry your handgun if you are on your own property say home, acreage, land etc?
I haven't seen any replies that actually answer this question.
  1. I assume you can carry it in your house. Maybe you keep it in your bedroom and clean it in the kitchen
  2. so can you clean it on the deck on a nice day????
  3. could you walk across the yard with it to your garage to work on it?
  4. so if you can do the above, how far from your home could you walk with it while still on your own property?

No idea what the answers are to any of this.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
No. You can clean your firearm to your hearts content in your home. You can practice loading/unloading/charging/firing (with snapcaps)/disassembly/assembly/holstering/drawing. Carry is not the operative scenario I am describing here. There is no time limit imposed on the length of time it takes to clean your firearm or walk around the house holstering/drawing a sidearm.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Guys are you saying a farmer cannot shoot a coyote with his handgun in the back yard on his 160 acre home quarter?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys are you saying a farmer cannot shoot a coyote with his handgun in the back yard on his 160 acre home quarter?
That is correct
Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
not legally. 😏
Old 03-17-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
not legally. ��
X2. It's not that it can't be done, but.....
Old 03-17-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The farmer would be committing a federal offense.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:21 AM

Default Hmm

Reminds me how unfortunate this place Canada is when it comes to Restricted firearms. I'm not sure I can even fabricate a reason why rural owners can't use their own property, legally obtained, on their own property.
But I also don't believe you could be charged for having the firearm all day in your posession at the address where the registration dictates. There are no stipulations on this, except that it be made inoperable and stored correctly when storing occurs.
This of course is never challenged because most that have been charged with this offence are charged with multiple other offence's that they are guilty of.
I suspect that a rural person has their address listed as requested on their Restricted documents, which is a physical address, which would be the legal land description, which would list the entire 1/4 section on it, correct?
Sounds like carrying unloaded would be fine!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Banned

It's pretty clear on the Canadian Gov't Justice page.
A restricted weapon can only be loaded where it is permissible to legally discharge it.
You can walk around your house all you want with your handgun strapped to you waste...the moment you put in a magazine (or load a revolver) you have committed a federal offense.
That's the law.
Now...the old axiom applies (in my mind)...if your honestly worried for some reason for your safety...better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by bobtodrick; 03-17-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Would you mind listing where you came across the wording, "must not load it anywhere other than approved range"?
I tried to find more on this today but nothing other than the standard Storage, display, transport stuff.
Its always good to go over some of this stuff. Albeit not overly safe, I see nowhere that states you can't have a magazine in a restricted that's in your posession/ hands.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Would you mind listing where you came across the wording, "must not load it anywhere other than approved range"?
I tried to find more on this today but nothing other than the standard Storage, display, transport stuff.
Its always good to go over some of this stuff. Albeit not overly safe, I see nowhere that states you can't have a magazine in a restricted that's in your posession/ hands.
[url]http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-209
This is the Justice Canada website...not the RCMP.
These are the actual laws as they stand.
#15 says you may load a firearm where it is lawful to shoot it.
In essence it is even against the law to load a gun in the city or municipality where it is not legal to discharge it.
In the case of a restricted firearm, the only place you can legally discharge it is at an approved range...hence the only place you can load it would be the same.
Pretty cut and dry.
Don't know why the above link isn't clickable...cut and paste.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
[url]http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-209[url]
This is the Justice Canada website...not the RCMP.
These are the actual laws as they stand.
#15 says you may load a firearm where it is lawful to shoot it.
In essence it is even against the law to load a gun in the city or municipality where it is not legal to discharge it.
In the case of a restricted firearm, the only place you can legally discharge it is at an approved range...hence the only place you can load it would be the same.
Pretty cut and dry.
Don't know why the above link isn't clickable...cut and paste.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...ns/SOR-98-209/
3rd try. Lol
Old 03-17-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
It's pretty clear on the Canadian Gov't Justice page.
A restricted weapon can only be loaded where it is permissible to legally discharge it.
You can walk around your house all you want with your handgun strapped to you waste...the moment you put in a magazine (or load a revolver) you have committed a federal offense.
That's the law.
Now...the old axiom applies (in my mind)...if your honestly worried for some reason for your safety...better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.
Exactly why I no longer own handguns any longer. Not that I don't want them , I used to own many when I was shooting competitive handgun, and would by them again if I could actually carry them when hunting, or be able to hunt with them. Yep we can all be "John Wayne" and carry our handguns around the house/ legal land description, as long as it's not loaded. Trudeau said during the campaign that he wants to show Canadians that the Lib's trust them(bull******sht) . The irony of it all is that you can legally shoot gophers with a .338 Lapua mag.if you so desire but cannot with a meek .22 handgun, absolute nonsense these laws. The man mauled by the grizz. a few years back wouldn't be here if he wasn't illegally carrying his sidearm which saved him. The article was in AO. magazine, yet F&W did not charge him, weird how selective they can be when they want to. If they charged him, they figured it would open a can of worms about carrying for self protection in the backcountry, so they " chose not to lay charges", . Maybe some progress on this topic would have begun if they did charge him, but I doubt it. As much as I love handguns, I can't see having another unless I can hunt with it, and by that time i'll be at the shaking hands with God.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The farmer would be committing a federal offense.
Some federal offences are meant to be broken....best not talkin about it on the internet though, I reckon.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:04 PM

Does anyone know if it is legal for F&W or LEO's to physically search your person when your out hunting without a warrant or reasonable suspicion?
Old 03-17-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Does anyone know if it is legal for F&W or LEO's to physically search your person when your out hunting without a warrant or reasonable suspicion?
Short answer yes, longer answer is it depends, best to call a lawyer and get specific advise if you are concerned.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for posting Robtodrick, was not having luck on the CFC website.
This also got me thinking. Farming is a wilderness occupation, and it seems odd there is a specific designation for trappers to be permitted, but not farming?
And no its not about dispatching animals in traps. I had a conversation with the Edmonton CFO a few years back and he informed me that he refuses all trappers requests for an ATC for .22 calibre, as it must be for protection and not dispatching animals in traps. His interpretation of Alberta Trapping regs was that if animals were dispatched with a firearm, then it would be hunting a fur bearer with a firearm, not trapping.
It really is up to the CFO of the day. Odd.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Being a Ninja , why would one need to carry a firearm?
Rob
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Not legally but...we all want to play sheriff now and then.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Being a Ninja , why would one need to carry a firearm?
Rob
Hahaha. Best post of the year.
Gawd I just peed a little!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Reminds me how unfortunate this place Canada is when it comes to Restricted firearms. I'm not sure I can even fabricate a reason why rural owners can't use their own property, legally obtained, on their own property.
But I also don't believe you could be charged for having the firearm all day in your posession at the address where the registration dictates. There are no stipulations on this, except that it be made inoperable and stored correctly when storing occurs.
This of course is never challenged because most that have been charged with this offence are charged with multiple other offence's that they are guilty of.
I suspect that a rural person has their address listed as requested on their Restricted documents, which is a physical address, which would be the legal land description, which would list the entire 1/4 section on it, correct?
Sounds like carrying unloaded would be fine!
Don't see the purpose of carrying it at all if it's just an ornament , nothing is gonna change in our country reg: this, Canadians just keep on being passive and go oh well what can we do, and it goes on & on, no spine.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting Robtodrick, was not having luck on the CFC website.
This also got me thinking. Farming is a wilderness occupation, and it seems odd there is a specific designation for trappers to be permitted, but not farming?
And no its not about dispatching animals in traps. I had a conversation with the Edmonton CFO a few years back and he informed me that he refuses all trappers requests for an ATC for .22 calibre, as it must be for protection and not dispatching animals in traps. His interpretation of Alberta Trapping regs was that if animals were dispatched with a firearm, then it would be hunting a fur bearer with a firearm, not trapping.
It really is up to the CFO of the day. Odd.
If I remember correctly, there was a member of AO that applied for one as a farmer / rancher, and got one. He posted that he was going to apply for one as such, and I was surprised to hear that he said he actually received the ATC.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 PM

Correct me if Im wrong, and Im sure somebody will , but I believe that hunting guides can carry while guiding if they have the correct RPAL . Only applies to the time while they are working .