Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2016, 02:59 PM

Default Saskatchewan is no fun!

I worked up a load for my 350 RM using 4 grs. Titegroup and a 000 buck ball, shoots 1 hole groups at 25 yards about 2 inchs low perfect.

except I just found out in Sask. its illegal to shoot upland game birds with a center fire rifle, I know a few guys that have been using the game getters for years and don't know that.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

except I just found out in Sask. its illegal to shoot upland game birds with a center fire rifle, I know a few guys that have been using the game getters for years and don't know that.
The game getter is a rim fire adaptor that temporarily converts your gun to a rim fire when you use it. Technically your not shooting them with a center fire.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:56 PM

I enjoy chicken hunten and yes shot plenty with my 7mm,but that was to get rid of old ammo,like CAT say's a good knife or 22 subsonic,but when I hunt big game a fart is to loud,plus it smells and so does gun powder.

I leave the small game alone until the big game is down,plus other hunters don't enjoy a whole bunch of noise.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:05 AM

Chiappa Little Badger. Remove the bottom quad rail and it folds about 7 inches from muzzle to opposite side of the butt stock. Weighs 3 pounds. Put a carabeener at the folding hinge and hook it to your belt. The muzzle and buttstock stay nice and controlled tucked into the pants cargo pocket. 1 inch groups at 50m. Subsonic ammo is pretty quiet so not to wreck any big game hunting in the area
Old 03-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Chiappa Little Badger. Remove the bottom quad rail and it folds about 7 inches from muzzle to opposite side of the butt stock. Weighs 3 pounds. Put a carabeener at the folding hinge and hook it to your belt. The muzzle and buttstock stay nice and controlled tucked into the pants cargo pocket. 1 inch groups at 50m. Subsonic ammo is pretty quiet so not to wreck any big game hunting in the area
Nice! I might look into that even if its just for around camp. They shouldn't be too expensive by the looks of it!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:30 AM

I use a sling shot. Nice and quite, no wasting any meat. Endless supply of ammunition in the bush.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
The game getter is a rim fire adaptor that temporarily converts your gun to a rim fire when you use it. Technically your not shooting them with a center fire.
Good point ! I'm going to talk to the fish cops about
Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
in alberta there's no rule about using center fire on grouse.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 PM
Banned

I always carry a few reduced loads for my 6.5x55 with target or FMJ bullets for grouses.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
in alberta there's no rule about using center fire on grouse.
Bushrat was responding to a post b Bat119 about not being able to use center fire in Saskatchewan, not here.
However, although the rifle s a center fire, the adapter is rimfire like he said, so one is no longer shooting a center fire if the adapter is there.
Cat
Old 03-14-2016, 01:50 PM

The last time I seen anything called a Game-Getter it looked like this.....

Game getter.jpg

However it probably wouldn't work that well for grouse and its no longer legal in Alberta for about 100 years or so from what I've been told.

Last edited by Slash8; 03-14-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:37 PM

I just inherited a co2 powered pellet pistol. Was thinking of packing that with me while big game hunting. Not too heavy, legal. Have had friends who have used them with success at close range. I've been like you, come across grouse, had a license, but didn't want to blast em with the 30-06.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I just inherited a co2 powered pellet pistol. Was thinking of packing that with me while big game hunting. Not too heavy, legal. Have had friends who have used them with success at close range. I've been like you, come across grouse, had a license, but didn't want to blast em with the 30-06.
Yeah, by the time I notice them, I'm usually so close I could poke them with a stick. They truly think they're invisible haha

I got a sling shot over the weekend and practiced a bit on tree trunks. I'd say its definitely accurate enough to hit target but it seems to miss the "oomph" required for a quick knock down. I was using 1/4" steel balls but I'll look for something heavier and see how that feels.

The co2 pellet pistol would be a good idea. Hmmm....
Old 03-14-2016, 04:13 PM

I think its something to do at separate times. I dont ground swat and will only shoot a bird in the air so the 410 going off tends to alert the other critters.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
The last time I seen anything called a Game-Getter it looked like this.....

Attachment 119286

However it probably wouldn't work that well for grouse and its no longer legal in Alberta for about 100 years or so from what I've been told.
Would be good defence for your trail cam....until you went to jail that is.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Bushrat was responding to a post b Bat119 about not being able to use center fire in Saskatchewan, not here.
However, although the rifle s a center fire, the adapter is rimfire like he said, so one is no longer shooting a center fire if the adapter is there.
Cat
My response from Sask. fish and game for the Sask. guys (good to know.)

It is illegal to use a centerfire rifle for hunting upland game birds in SK. That includes the use of a Hammond Gamegetter. You are still using a centerfire, therefore it is illegal.

Conservation Officer
Lloydminster, SK
306-825-6430 Work

I'm in the camp with it being a rimfire however they write the tickets
Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My response from Sask. fish and game for the Sask. guys (good to know.)

It is illegal to use a centerfire rifle for hunting upland game birds in SK. That includes the use of a Hammond Gamegetter. You are still using a centerfire, therefore it is illegal.

Conservation Officer
Lloydminster, SK
306-825-6430 Work

I'm in the camp with it being a rimfire however they write the tickets
OMG how OBTUSE!!
So, according to those geniuses when I am using my Briley side kicks in my 12 bore hammer double, I am still shooting a 12 bore if I am using the 20, 28, or 410 tubes??
What a bunch of knobs!!!
Cat
Old 03-15-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
x2 I have shot lots of grouse in the head with my .308. Doesen't seem to spook the deer at all. They might raise their head for a lookaround when they hear a bang in the air, then go back to what they were doing.
x3, I have shot lots of grouse in the head/neck with my .280 and never have I messed up the breast. Even more fun shooting them with my bow and a judo point.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Obtuse is hardly strong enough to describe a gov't that thinks it's ok for us to use a firearm capable of killing large animal at 1000 yds. but too stupid and irresponsible to carry a handgun.

back to sticks and stones and magnum rifles for killing small game birds.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-15-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Obtuse is hardly strong enough to describe a gov't that thinks it's ok for us to use a firearm capable of killing large animal at 1000 yds. but too stupid and irresponsible to carry a handgun.
They are working hard on that discrepancy, but not in the way you would like unfortunately.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:16 PM

I bet if you asked 10 different officers you would get 10 different answers.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post
Yeah, by the time I notice them, I'm usually so close I could poke them with a stick. They truly think they're invisible haha
A couple weekends ago, a grouse let me get within about 10 feet. Didn't even seem too worried when I tried to move closer, it just trotted off a few yards. Could've killed it with a knife if I knew how to throw one.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:19 AM

I like the reduced load idea, so I can have a magazine full of chicken rounds in my pocket to pop into the rifle. Grouse come in 3s and 4s often and it's not unusual to whack a couple of them. Centre ire is fine in BC too
Old 03-25-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

back to sticks and stones and magnum rifles for killing small game birds.
Haha