Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 PM

Question Grouse When Big Game Hunting

I know this topic has been discussed a number of times before but I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted through the search function. I’m curious of what you guys would recommend for getting grouse etc. during big game hunting? I usually see grouse when I’m hunting but I’m not going to take a shot at one with my .270 or .300wm . I'd be nice to get some grouse meat to cook in camp on those extended hunting trips.

This year, I’d like to have something fairly compact that I can strap to my pack. I’ve read that some people like sling shots but I question the accuracy? I thought of a compact .22lr with some quiet / sub sonic ammo but not sure if it would be quiet enough not to spook big game nearby? I thought of a Henry AR7 as it would be easy to carry in my pack but the reviews are less than stellar..

I guess the other option would be an air rifle (standard 495 fps or high powered 500fps +)? I know nothing of air rifles; are there any that stand out as bang for your buck?

I’m interested to hear what works for you guys and what sling shot, rifle, bow or whatever else you would recommend.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:02 PM

There's a guy at the Calgary gun show that sell something called the game getter. It's made with whatever cartridge you shoot. It uses those .22 rounds that you use to pound nails in concrete and you shape a lead ball as propellant. He sells the kits for $45 I believe. There's guys that have been using it for years and swears by it.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Default Hammond Game Getter

I have one of these. I got it over 20 years ago. Shot quite a few grouse with it back when I first got it. Some one questioned how it could possible damage the rifling on the barrel of my .270 so I really never tried it again. I am predominately a bow hunter and to be honest don't really know a lot about rifles so I do not really know if shooting one of these would affect the rifling. It did work good and was reasonably accurate. Not too loud either. It uses a .22 blank like what is used in a Ramset (for shooting nails into concrete).

http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/index.html
Old 03-11-2016, 06:29 PM

I've shot 3 grouse with my 7-08 over the years, and got one last fall with my 30-30. Just make sure to get them in the head or neck. I thought about a small .22 but I already carry enough stuff when I'm hunting.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:36 PM

Back when I hunted exclusively with a muzzle loader I also carried a'hawk and knife.
Most buck skinner types are pretty handy with both, and it is not a big deal to take out a grouse or rabbit with either 'hawk or knife for a guy that throws one regularly .
Aside from being silent, it literally blows a client's mind if he sees you do it- espicyally the Europeans !
Cat
Old 03-11-2016, 07:50 PM

The game getter thing is different - never heard if it before. I'd also be suspisious of it damaging the barrel of my rifle. I don't know guys, maybe I just need to get a nice little single shot .22lr? There aren't too many compact 22s out there... If I go with Cat's suggestion, I'll end up hungry and losing a knife in the bush for sure! haha
Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Back when I hunted exclusively with a muzzle loader I also carried a'hawk and knife.
Most buck skinner types are pretty handy with both, and it is not a big deal to take out a grouse or rabbit with either 'hawk or knife for a guy that throws one regularly .
Aside from being silent, it literally blows a client's mind if he sees you do it- espicyally the Europeans !
Cat
I hunt primarily on horse back so I pack a chiappa little badger in my med pouch.works awesome and stores small.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post
The game getter thing is different - never heard if it before. I'd also be suspisious of it damaging the barrel of my rifle. I don't know guys, maybe I just need to get a nice little single shot .22lr? There aren't too many compact 22s out there... If I go with Cat's suggestion, I'll end up hungry and losing a knife in the bush for sure! haha
Search out a black powder rendezvous this summer, and as about tomahawk throwing.
You will be VERY impressed nd end up buying one, I am sure!
Cat
Old 03-11-2016, 07:58 PM

A little .22 C02 handgun would probably do the trick pretty well and fairly quietly...
Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 PM

Find some Blue Dot and load up some light bullets in your .270 or .300WM at about 1800-2000 fps. PM for load data. Works great and shoots very accurately in every rifle I've tried it in- about 2 dozen. Kills quickly without making a mess. As always, head shots are preferred
Old 03-11-2016, 08:15 PM

Default Hammond game getter

Get one of these. You can shoot grouse in the head at 25 yards no problem. Ive shot hundreds of grouse with mine over the years. It hasn't harmed my barrel that I can see or tell. Shoots just as good as it always has. I carry a patch and string type thing in my pack and run it thru the barrel at the end of the day if I use it. Just to clean the powder residue from the Hilti blank. Check out the link and enjoy the picture of some nice chicken cooking and a goose berry sauce to go with it while on a sheep hunt.

http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/

Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 PM

had a buddy who was pretty good with a slingshot, he'd use that. Silent and deadly on grouse and bunnies.

Cat's got me wanting to learn to throw knives now...

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM

Got myself .22 LR and 12ga, but all bunnies and grouse in Alberta were shot after uneventful days with 30-06 to the head
Old 03-11-2016, 09:22 PM

If you reload you can easy make buckshot bullets. accurate and not louder than 22. Also you can make as many as you want. I always carry few of them in my pocket while big game hunting. On the picture 308 and 300WSM. I also try them with different cartages but 30 cal is most accurate. "0" buckshot resize on Lee resizer to .308", magnum primer and 6-8 gr of fast pistol powder.( I use Accurate powder). On grouse it goes right through wit no expansion and no meat damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bak shot.jpg (46.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 03-11-2016, 09:27 PM

I use my bow.

LC
Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 PM

Hammond Gamegetter all the way. On last years sheep triple shot 5 grouse and a rabbit for camp. Quiet, accurate and lightweight.

I tried using a slingshot one year with mixed results. I found it a waste of time and not very kind to the birds. I also packed a Savage lil rascal with subsonic ammo. It works but it's heavy and there's enough work without carrying anything extra.

Best $45 you'll ever spend IMHO.

But Cat's 'hawk sounds bad as!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:54 PM

I always carry my slingshot, a marksman folding model that I put high velocity bands on. Like shooting a bow, it takes practice to become accurate with it but it definitely has the power to kill small game.
Cat, please don't go throwing the knife I'm making you at birds please
Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 PM

Default 410 Tamer

I use a 410 Tamer made by H&R.
Its cheap, light, and short (fits in most quads boxes).
I also like that I can hold 4 shells in the stock so its easy and quick to load when you come across a grouse.

I keep my on the front of the quad with some rubber gun fork holders for easy access when we are cruising cut lines in the fall.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonKnifeMaker View Post
I always carry my slingshot, a marksman folding model that I put high velocity bands on. Like shooting a bow, it takes practice to become accurate with it but it definitely has the power to kill small game.
Cat, please don't go throwing the knife I'm making you at birds please
OMG NO!!!
Traditional throwing knives , NOT skinning knives!
would no sooner throw a skinning knife at something than I would my rifle!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-11-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post

But Cat's 'hawk sounds bad as!
Effective as well!
Cat
Old 03-11-2016, 11:17 PM

I bring my 22LR with me all the time,it's lite and does the trick. Wouldn't waste my time trying to make a head shot with my 300WSM,ammo is expensive enough lol
Old 03-12-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Get one of these. You can shoot grouse in the head at 25 yards no problem. Ive shot hundreds of grouse with mine over the years. It hasn't harmed my barrel that I can see or tell. Shoots just as good as it always has. I carry a patch and string type thing in my pack and run it thru the barrel at the end of the day if I use it. Just to clean the powder residue from the Hilti blank. Check out the link and enjoy the picture of some nice chicken cooking and a goose berry sauce to go with it while on a sheep hunt.

Looks like a weird hack, but sounds like it's for real. If I'd had one last year, I could have taken rabbits every day while deer hunting. I just might order one for my 30-06.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:52 AM

It's to bad we aren't allowed to carry 22lr pistols. I have a Ruger new bear cat that would work perfect.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post

That looks amazing!! Might have to give this thing a try.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I've shot 3 grouse with my 7-08 over the years, and got one last fall with my 30-30. Just make sure to get them in the head or neck. I thought about a small .22 but I already carry enough stuff when I'm hunting.
x2 I have shot lots of grouse in the head with my .308. Doesen't seem to spook the deer at all. They might raise their head for a lookaround when they hear a bang in the air, then go back to what they were doing.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:03 AM

I'd be worried about spooking elk with a .308 shot though...

Does anyone have experience shooting with an air rifle?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post
I'd be worried about spooking elk with a .308 shot though...

Does anyone have experience shooting with an air rifle?
Gotta remember what you're there for. Sling shot and a few ball bearings. Easy to carry and silent.

Grizz
Old 03-12-2016, 12:40 PM

Snare some chickens. Spruce grouse are easier to snare but ruffies can be snared too. Have also set snares for a rabbit I saw in the bush then circle and drive him into it on a few occasions.

Never got any with my axe but have taken out one ruffie with a green poplar stick about 2" thick and 2 feet long.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:38 PM

I was thinking of one of these as a tag along.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...del-42/p/39621
Old 03-12-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpl View Post
I was thinking of one of these as a tag along.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...del-42/p/39621
Yeah I was looking at them too. Only draw back for this as a pack rifle is the weight (6lbs +). My pack is heavy enough as it is haha.

Im thinking I'll give the ol sling shot a try. I was a decent shot with one as a kid haha