Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you report your hunting harvests to AlbertaRELM?
Yes 313 81.51%
No, I forget to/can't be bothered 30 7.81%
No, I don't want to 41 10.68%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2016, 03:55 PM

respond accurately to both provincial and federal surveys, for what it's worth.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:35 PM

Always and honestly.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Banned

NO and will not as long as the FN can go 24-7 and this is what someone calls -
"management"
Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 PM

Yes every year.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:42 PM

I try to get them all, but I usually miss a couple every year.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:07 PM

Yes! I see no reason not to?
Old 02-23-2016, 10:15 PM

Always
Old 02-25-2016, 05:35 AM

Yes, my first year hunting & I was successful filling both my tags (woot woot!!). Will continue each and every year I hunt as well.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:22 AM

Default Huh

Agentsmith, Did they say on the podcast how they figured only 50% actually register kills in states that have mandatory registration?
Seems like a guess on their part? And are the other 50% poachers?
I think in a perfect honest world voluntary reporting sounds fine, but I also believe only the dedicated sportsman report, and it skewes the numbers against that group as they are typically more successful, which appears to be what happened with archery mule deer hunters, but that's just a guess.
And not meant as a derail, just a thought.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:00 AM

Depends on how I am feeling the day I get the email.

I stopped reporting back in the day when the phone calls came from other fish and game members...I didn't what to share where I was successful with individuals I didn't know who also hunted. I submit my heads in the mandatory zones but doing the survey depends on my train of thought at the time.

LC
Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 AM

Always have and always will. Just like attending the open houses.

It's kind of like voting to me..if you aren't part of the process then quit your whining.

S
Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Always. It's like voting. Can't bitch if don't pitch in and help. P&E aren't perfect but why handicap them further?
Old 02-25-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Agentsmith, Did they say on the podcast how they figured only 50% actually register kills in states that have mandatory registration?
They said wildlife officers do spot checks at butchers and such, and then cross-check to see if the guy reported. Not poaching, just not reporting. I presume the 50% number was a fairly rough guess.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:46 PM

Default Hunter survey

This is the first year I have not. Reason why is that the alberta govt along with politics make poor decisions. For example they have been shutting down opportunities for bow hunters for moose and mule deer from the results of the hunter survey. Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2016, 07:49 PM

Always have and always will here too , Can't expect data to be collected if we arent willing to give it . I was one of those phone survey guys for our local club for almost 10 years , club made money by doing it and job got done .Most individuals were good about giving their info , some got bent thinking we were looking for "their spots " , some Husbands got a little defensive when we asked to speak to their wife ..lol . Interesting work .
Old 02-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I think in a perfect honest world voluntary reporting sounds fine, but I also believe only the dedicated sportsman report, and it skewes the numbers against that group as they are typically more successful, which appears to be what happened with archery mule deer hunters, but that's just a guess.
And not meant as a derail, just a thought.
Id like to see the mandatory registration taken one step further . If you purchase a hunting licence you would be required to fill out a hunter survey at the end of the year . You dont fill it out , you dont hunt the next year . I like the ministers tag bonus idea .
Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 PM

Default Yes

A number of US states won't allow you to enter the draw without having filled your hunter report. I would like to see check stations, for all, including FN, get a real idea of where our numbers are. We do it for sheep and I never understood why we put them on a pedestal and nothing else.
I know it cost money, but you see it in the US where taxes are lower!
Old 02-25-2016, 09:06 PM

Always do. The more data they have, hopefully the better job they do.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:58 PM

Definitely.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:15 PM

Default STOP - Ask yourself

A very ... simple question for anyone that was maybe or no ...

Ready ...

Set ...

Think about it ...

Why wouldn't you ....

(Maybe someone will fish your lake?)

Share people ...

-Northern
Old 03-13-2016, 07:25 PM

I will never be in favor of any mandatory registration, unless native people have to register each and every game animal that they kill.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTourist View Post
Always do. The more data they have, hopefully the better job they do.
The more accurate data you have may help do a better job, but how accurate is it now?...how accurate will it be if you force hunters to fill one out?

From many of the comments I have read on here about harvest limits, the data they are using is either seriously flawed or they are totally ignoring it, and still using their "best guess" method.

Think about the APOS allocations if you believe they actually listen to the hunters in the province about harvest limits.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
The more accurate data you have may help do a better job, but how accurate is it now?...how accurate will it be if you force hunters to fill one out?

From many of the comments I have read on here about harvest limits, the data they are using is either seriously flawed or they are totally ignoring it, and still using their "best guess" method.

Think about the APOS allocations if you believe they actually listen to the hunters in the province about harvest limits.
There in lies the problem , no accountability from ESRD .
I used to do the surveys faithfully and honestly , but have become seriously jaded by decisions be made in the 4-5 years. Until the government reveals how the data is interpreted I won't be filling any out.
No different the the secretsy behind the areial counts, the closed door , on a need to know basis( only they need to know) If and when ESRD is upfront with how the data is used/ not skewed , I will go back to do the survey. I doubt it will happen anytime soon.
In some states people have thier draw results back already, some provinces have thier draw opening fairly soon , but Alberta sits around twittling thumbs till June/ July . What a joke .. With the technology today it this is ludicrous ..
Old 03-14-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
There in lies the problem , no accountability from ESRD .

I used to do the surveys faithfully and honestly , but have become seriously jaded by decisions be made in the 4-5 years. Until the government reveals how the data is interpreted I won't be filling any out.

No different the the secretsy behind the areial counts, the closed door , on a need to know basis( only they need to know) If and when ESRD is upfront with how the data is used/ not skewed , I will go back to do the survey. I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

In some states people have thier draw results back already, some provinces have thier draw opening fairly soon , but Alberta sits around twittling thumbs till June/ July . What a joke .. With the technology today it this is ludicrous ..

I have only been hunting for 16 years so I don't consider myself as experienced as most folks on here.

Can you give some specific reason why you are so jaded from decisions made the last 4-5 years?
Old 03-14-2016, 12:42 PM

every year faithfully, I hope that the info is used and helps then understand game management and set draws and limits etc, I know I may be living in a rose garden and I have very little faith in any level of government anymore, but still try to do my part

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:59 PM

There are serious problems with some of the current harvest data that has been used to make significant changes to hunting regulations. I have been told by personel within F&W that some of this data is simply invalid. AEP would like to change this fact.

The only way to improve the data is for greater participation from hunters. Be part of the solution or part of the problem.... If need be, make harvest reports mandatory.

AEP is close to deciding that reporting will become mandatory.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

please please please let this happen! I want manditory registration too, too many people running around like nuts

Last edited by fish_e_o; 03-14-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
There are serious problems with some of the current harvest data that has been used to make significant changes to hunting regulations. I have been told by personel within F&W that some of this data is simply invalid. AEP would like to change this fact.

The only way to improve the data is for greater participation from hunters. Be part of the solution or part of the problem.... If need be, make harvest reports mandatory.

AEP, Alberta Environment and Parks.

Change is constant but we are not always aware of it, I checked some older links thank for an update.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:

The only way to improve the data, is to include all hunters, including natives. Incomplete data, will never be accurate data.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I do it faithfully every year. They do need a comments section though. I don't believe they grasp the concept of people who pass up harvest opportunity...
I agree bud! They need a comment section for each tag. They so need to add a count of how many animals you seen in the zone you hunted.