Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Default Coyote carcasses...

I was down at a local hunting and sporting store (to remain nameless). I was shooting the breeze with one of the youngsters behind the counter as I was buying my longtime love (Marlin .45-70 guide) and he said something that gives me the impression he is full of crap or I was completely mislead. He told me that you can shoot a yote and simply leave it there. Is that true?
Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Banned

Yes, under certain situations there is no requirement for people to salvage the coyote pelt. Stipulations with regards to when it is manditory to not allow a coyote pelt go to waste can be found in the Alberta Trappers Regs, and probably in the Alberta Hunting Regs as well. I know what the regs state but it'd be better to refer to the actual regs rather than me state what they are. I'm not on my computer now.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:23 AM

16 years in this awesome province, I don't shoot the buggers but have seen very few people salvage pelts, some drop em off at colonies and pay to skin. But majority of what I see is target practice. Leave em.
What is the real rule on this?
Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 AM

The rule is that its legal. In my opinion, Ethically one should not harvest something for no reason. Brings up the debate about killing for the sake of death and not respecting the animal whos life was taken. It is legal for purposes like: As a Rancher, if there are coyotes out trying to get a new calf we have the means to act.

Hope this helps
Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Farmers and rancher always shoot coyotes and leave them for the ravens, standard procedure for protecting your cattle herd.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Banned

I agree that it's a shame to see coyote pelts go to waste and I would encourage people to give them to a local trapper who's interested in salvaging them rather than just throwing them in the bush. People that have a fur buyer's license will even buy them from you. You won't get rich from it, I pay $20, but it would help pay for the costs of your gas and ammo that you are going to spend anyway.

Coyotes (1) may be hunted (but not trapped), without a licence, at all
times of the year throughout the province:

a) by a resident who has right of access to hunt on lands that are
not public lands within the Green Area;

b) by the owner or occupant of privately owned land, on the
privately owned land;

c) by a person maintaining livestock on public land, on that public
land; or

Control of Problem Wildlife
d) *on lands described in c) that are in the Green Area, by a resident
who is authorized in writing by the person described in c).

* These pelts must be salvaged.

(1) For further information and other seasons regarding the hunting
of wolf and coyote, including the use of bait for hunting wolf
and coyote, please refer to the current Alberta Guide to Hunting
Regulations.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...-2015-2016.pdf
Old 01-07-2016, 12:53 PM

It could be possible that said "youngster" knows more about the regs than most people on this site....
Old 01-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
The rule is that its legal. In my opinion, Ethically one should not harvest something for no reason. Brings up the debate about killing for the sake of death and not respecting the animal whos life was taken. It is legal for purposes like: As a Rancher, if there are coyotes out trying to get a new calf we have the means to act.

Hope this helps
I don't want to open a can of worms with this but....managing the coyote population does serve a purpose and ESRD wants people to help in that endevour. Once they migrate to an area that never had coyotes before, they can never be eradicated and the best that you can hope for is to manage their numbers.

I understand your ethics and respect them, I was brought up believing to not shoot anything that I wasn't going to eat. We didn't have coyote and gopher issues where I lived as a kid though and my ethics have changed. I now believe that managing our wildlife is very important. To each their own.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Banned

You only have to salvage coyote carcasses if you're on Crown Land...
Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
You only have to salvage coyote carcasses if you're on Crown Land...

I don't think you have to salvage the Coyote whether you're on crown land or not.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think you have to salvage the Coyote whether you're on crown land or not.
and you are wrong
Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
and you are wrong

Yea I am, never bothered with coyote hunting before, but I did just check the regs, and yea if on crown land you have to salvage the pelt.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post

Yeah I am.

I never bothered with coyote hunting before, but I did just check the regs, and yeah if on crown land you have to salvage the pelt.
No worries, Bub !

Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpl View Post
I was down at a local hunting and sporting store (to remain nameless). I was shooting the breeze with one of the youngsters behind the counter as I was buying my longtime love (Marlin .45-70 guide) and he said something that gives me the impression he is full of crap or I was completely mislead. He told me that you can shoot a yote and simply leave it there. Is that true?
Way too much information being provided here to a simple question.
Very typical for the "regulars" that practically live here.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't want to open a can of worms with this but....managing the coyote population does serve a purpose and ESRD wants people to help in that endevour. Once they migrate to an area that never had coyotes before, they can never be eradicated and the best that you can hope for is to manage their numbers.

I understand your ethics and respect them, I was brought up believing to not shoot anything that I wasn't going to eat. We didn't have coyote and gopher issues where I lived as a kid though and my ethics have changed. I now believe that managing our wildlife is very important. To each their own.
Very well said!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Please tell me where in Alberta coyotes have not "migrated" to? They (and ground squirrels) have been in this province for many a year. The only real threat for coyotes (population-wise) in a particular area are other competitors (e.g. wolves), or disease (e.g. mange). Coyotes population/movement is influenced by many things, abundance of prey being the biggest (IMHO). To think simply shooting coyotes is an effective control is simplistic.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Please tell me where in Alberta coyotes have not "migrated" to? They (and ground squirrels) have been in this province for many a year. The only real threat for coyotes (population-wise) in a particular area are other competitors (e.g. wolves), or disease (e.g. mange). Coyotes population/movement is influenced by many things, abundance of prey being the biggest (IMHO). To think simply shooting coyotes is an effective control is simplistic.
So are you saying we shouldn't shoot them?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Coyotes are everywhere in Alberta. The only place I can think of that may not have them yet would be the extreme north eastern portion. But I'm not sure, they could be up there.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Banned

I recal reading somewhere in the regs that any fur bearing animal shot on public land cant be left with the fur to go to waste. Private land I do believe is at your own discretion. This is what I go off when I take an animal anyways, unless the fur is not salvageable that is.

Last edited by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^; 03-23-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Coyotes are everywhere in Alberta. The only place I can think of that may not have them yet would be the extreme north eastern portion. But I'm not sure, they could be up there.
I shot a yote by Ft Smith a few years ago, so I would say side to side and top to bottom they're here.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
So are you saying we shouldn't shoot them?
Absolutely not...just saying it's not really effective control, especially if they have a reliable food source
Old 03-24-2016, 10:19 AM

When a good coyote sells for upto $120 at NAFA auction it seems wasteful not to give it to local trapper or Hutterite colony. You cannot sell it as not legal.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
When a good coyote sells for upto $120 at NAFA auction it seems wasteful not to give it to local trapper or Hutterite colony. You cannot sell it as not legal.
Anyone can sell whole if shot to a fur buyer. Trapped is a different story.

Spruce
Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post

When a good coyote sells for upto $120 at NAFA auction it seems wasteful not to give it to local trapper or Hutterite colony.

You cannot sell it as not legal.
Can you explain ?

I don't like to assume / guess as to what people mean when they can't be bothered to proofread & use proper grammar...

Old 03-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not...just saying it's not really effective control, especially if they have a reliable food source
Whether it's effective or not could be debated. I for one would disagree and feel it is very effective, particularly if there was more people doing it. I can respect anyone's opinion and I could of course be wrong. What other options are there though?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Whether it's effective or not could be debated. I for one would disagree and feel it is very effective, particularly if there was more people doing it. I can respect anyone's opinion and I could of course be wrong. What other options are there though?
Ah, there's the crux..."if" more people were doing it...sure, then perhaps I'd agree, but pretty much all the ranchers I know who CAN shoot coyotes ARE shooting coyotes. Coyotes are frigging Ph.D. smart when they start getting seriously hunted. Their habits change in a blink if the pressure is on. Even when they had bounties on them they persevered.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Ah, there's the crux..."if" more people were doing it...sure, then perhaps I'd agree, but pretty much all the ranchers I know who CAN shoot coyotes ARE shooting coyotes. Coyotes are frigging Ph.D. smart when they start getting seriously hunted. Their habits change in a blink if the pressure is on. Even when they had bounties on them they persevered.
Oh I'm with you on that. I know coyotes with always be around. But if we can keep numbers at a decent level by some of us shooting them that's better than doing nothing.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:35 PM

Here is a copy and paste from the regs.
Must admit I'm not a Coyote hunter and am a bit confused by the wording?
"NOTE: It is unlawful, with the following exceptions, to allow the pelt of any furbearing animal to be wasted:
It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of 1) furbearing animals taken in accordance with regulations authorizing control of problem wildlife, or 2) coyotes harvested, by residents, outside of public lands in the Green Area."
So can folks shoot them in grazing leases?
Or only in Green zones?
Or not on public land in Green Zones?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 PM

Its brutal wording as per usual.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Oh I'm with you on that. I know coyotes with always be around. But if we can keep numbers at a decent level by some of us shooting them that's better than doing nothing.
Agreed