Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2015, 08:10 AM

Default Salmon candy help?

I'm making my first attempt at salmon candy today. Anyone have any good recipes? I've looked online and some dry brine some wet brine. Some dry before smoking others don't! Got to be some members who make awesome candy? Please share if you can some tips! Thx. Chewy
Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 AM

Jamie or Omega should be able to help ! I just brown sugar, kosher salt and molasis with water for a good 24 hours prior, then baste while smoking and after ir rests baste with honey while hot.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:26 AM

I have read very good things about Jamie's Salmon Candy.
A search on the forum will yield you his recipe.
I recall seeing it posted.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:28 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...js=1#community

Here is a link to a thread from last year, I put a post on it of a recipe I have used in the past that has never let me down. And yes I have had some of Jamie's and it is also awesome..

Jim..
Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 AM

made indian candy with kokanees last summer. google search "indian candy"
Old 03-13-2015, 08:50 AM
Banned

Cut your salmon into 1 inch strips, skin removed.
Mix 1 part pickling salt and 2 parts brown sugar, enough to completely cover salmon. Put salmon and mixture in a large Ziploc bag, place in the fridge for 4-6 hours turn over every hour. Mixture will turn into a thick slurry.

Remove from fridge and rinse really well so salmon does not turn out salty. After rinsing mix up enough brine to cover fish using 1 part soy sauce and 3 parts pure maple syrup. Place fish and brine in a clean Ziploc bag and into fridge for 12 hours.

After 12 hours spray smoker racks with PAM and place fish on racks, do not rinse. Let the fish sit on racks until they stop dripping then place in smoker pre heated to 110 F and let dry for one hour.

After drying turn smoker up to 130 F and add ALDER wood chips and smoke for 1 hour. After smoke is done slowly increase temp of smoker (170 F MAX) until the internal temp of the fish is 145 F going a little higher IT won't hurt.

When IT reaches 145 F remove from smoker and let cool at room temp, place in fridge overnight and vacuum seal in the morning and freeze.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:06 AM

I dry brine, two cups of brown sugar to one cup of sea salt (gos Mel). Cut your salmon fillets into 1/2 to 3/4 inch square strips across the centre line, you may have to split the thicker fillets. Trim any really thin pieces from the edges first, I usually make a dish with hollindase and wild rice from the trimmings. Lay down 1 1/2 inches of salt in a glass dish large enough to have a finger width at least between every salmon strip on all sides. Cover with 2 " of mix making sure to get salt contacting everywhere and pack firm not hard. Cover with foil, not plastic so it breathes a little and refrigerate. I takes varied time but usually 10 to 16 hours in the brine depending on the fish. Look for close grain, lean fish medium size for species, I like coho for its texture, but they all work. Springs tend to have a bit of fat that leeches while smoking, only cosmetic. Drain the liquid off the top often, probably every 3 to 4 hours, try not to let it pool. When the outer edges are starting to get translucent, it's done, this will take some practice and personal preference for taste. Rinse the fish in fresh clean water and be sure to remove all the salt, don't rub it a lot. Place the strips on a drying rack, preferably in a cool ( 45-50or so F) place with ample airflow. When the fish is dry, usually about 2 hours it is ready to baste. Use a BBQ brush and lightly coat with birch syrup (traditional) or maple works too just use the real stuff. Let dry until tacky about two hours, meanwhile light the smoker. Use alder, sweet woods don't work as we'll in my opinion, alder is the best salmon wood, if you must Apple is next best. Smoke low and slow, I leave mine at about 70F for at least 12 hours, sometimes longer. Baste again with syrup after smoking for around 2 hours and again after 6hrs, and again in another 6. more if you like it sweet, less if not. I like mine a bit dryer and hard, so I often smoke for as long as 20. You can play with the size of strips bigger makes less salty fish. Try to keep strips consistent, as the brine tends to make thinner pieces to salty. If you have short or thin strips mixed in a large batch, sort and brine them for less time separately.

I learned this from the locals in Squamish BBC, and I have yet to find somebody who doesn't like it.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:18 AM

Awesome for the help boys, I've wanted to try this for awhile now so today is the day. Just got them thawing in the sink, getting my brine together so I can start the process. Good weekend to get the smoker rolling.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:45 AM

Last time I did mine, brushed with maple surup a few times durring smoking. A couple real good recipies listed in this thread. Thanks guys !

Smoked some whites the other day and it turned out awesome ! 1/2 cup Salt, 1/3 cup Brown sugar, Lemon pepper, oinon and garlic powder, 8 cups water. brined for 20 hrs. Apple chips . Smoked for 4.5 hrs @ 150 and 2 bags of CT chips. Last 15 mins I turned the heat up to 175 degrees. The skin almost tastes better than the meat. Going to change it up slightly next time with a little less salt and a little more brown sugar, a little less brine time.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.

Last edited by Kim473; 03-13-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:26 PM

Well after 3 days of making brine, soaking, and air drying, today the smoking process came and went. I was amazed at how things turned out, it so good.

My first attempt was with pinks, so I wouldn't be out much if it failed, next time it will be springs or sockeye.

Thx again for all the tips.