Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 02:10 PM

After a valiant effort, no luck. Two of us lined our friend with the boat along the bank while he felt as far as he could, and he is very sure she got wedged in far under the bank, which is apparently very undercut after the 2013 flood and also some old beaver activity...The remaining ice floe in the creek was broken up and there is a scant chance she is wedged under that, but I doubt it. We will go back later for another look, but we are resigning ourselves to not finding her. It has been suggested that we put up a little memorial down there, which we may do, maybe a little sign on a tree or something.

Thanks to all of you have read this thread and especially those who posted and sent PMs. Maybe other dogs will enjoy the increased vigilance of their owners because of this tragedy...

Special thanks to AO member, Macleod, for volunteering to help us out today!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-11-2015, 02:12 PM

I am extremely sorry to hear of this heartbreaking loss!
Old 03-11-2015, 02:16 PM

Molly, please accept my and my wife's deepest condolences on Beaners accident. We are both huge dog loving people, and our dog is like our daughter. When I told my wife she got tears in her eyes. I can't imagine the pain that you and your family have gone through.

Just the other day, we were down on the Bow with our Shadow, and she was doing exactly that, walking on the ice to get herself a drink. Instinctively she seems timid on the ice and I always thought there is no way she would walk out on too thin a section. My wife scolded me and I didn't think much of it at the time. Then the next day saw your post. Never again will we let her wander out onto any ice that is questionable.

So sorry for your loss.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:04 PM

Keep the faith Molly, you will recover Beaner when she is ready. Keep your eyes on the creek and a bit downstream. The cold water should keep her intact until you can get her home. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:11 PM

Very heart breaking, I can't imagine it. Sincerest condolences.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM

Bummer, but at least it wasn't the Hublet.

Grizz
Old 03-11-2015, 05:33 PM

A very sad life experience, our thoughts are with you!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:55 PM

omg thats terrible so sorry for your loss what a tragedy i couldnt even begin to imagine
Old 03-13-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
After a valiant effort, no luck. Two of us lined our friend with the boat along the bank while he felt as far as he could, and he is very sure she got wedged in far under the bank, which is apparently very undercut after the 2013 flood and also some old beaver activity...The remaining ice floe in the creek was broken up and there is a scant chance she is wedged under that, but I doubt it. We will go back later for another look, but we are resigning ourselves to not finding her. It has been suggested that we put up a little memorial down there, which we may do, maybe a little sign on a tree or something.

Thanks to all of you have read this thread and especially those who posted and sent PMs. Maybe other dogs will enjoy the increased vigilance of their owners because of this tragedy...

Special thanks to AO member, Macleod, for volunteering to help us out today!

Molly,

If the weather forecast is correct, there may be a better opportunity coming up early Monday morning, after a cool Sunday and cold Sunday night. On Sunday the melting and runoff will diminish quite a bit, and over Sunday night (-4C) the runoff will stop altogether. This will cause the water level of the stream to drop dramatically. The stream will be at it's lowest level just after sunup on Monday morning.

It might be worth a drive down to the sight at that time, to see how much the streambank undercut is exposed and above water. If the water level is low enough, hipwaiters and a long-handled rake (to reach into the undercut), just might do the trick.

Mac
Old 03-13-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Molly,

If the weather forecast is correct, there may be a better opportunity coming up early Monday morning, after a cool Sunday and cold Sunday night. On Sunday the melting and runoff will diminish quite a bit, and over Sunday night (-4C) the runoff will stop altogether. This will cause the water level of the stream to drop dramatically. The stream will be at it's lowest level just after sunup on Monday morning.

It might be worth a drive down to the sight at that time, to see how much the streambank undercut is exposed and above water. If the water level is low enough, hipwaiters and a long-handled rake (to reach into the undercut), just might do the trick.

Mac
Excellent idea Mac.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Banned

Just saw this thread Molly. I feel terrible for you, and you have my deepest condolences. I know how much you care about dogs from all your other posts on them. Sometimes you just can't watch them closely enough it seems and they can get into trouble in a wink. Thanks for the reminder and take care. Sounds like you have some great friends.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Banned

Have to agree with Rugatika, lots of great people on AO.

Have my fingers crossed for you, truly hope that you find your dog and wishing you the best of luck!

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-14-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:47 AM

Thanks again to all for their kind words...it means a LOT!!
Mac, that is a good suggestion...I will tell Jim and we will go over early Monday. We still have our other friend's climbing harness so I think roping up would be prudent, if the water level is low enough...in the meantime, we have been checking the creek every day...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-15-2015, 03:13 PM

Molly,

It's looking good so far. There's little to no melting going on today, and it's supposed to go down to about -5C tonight, so there should be a significant drop in the water level by sunup tomorrow (Monday).

Please let us know how it goes, and if I can help again.

Mac
Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM

OK, Mac. The water actually went up almost a foot since the Hublet checked yesterday...likely extra melting yesterday and some rain west of here today. It will have to drop a lot!! Snowing now...will post tomorrow!

Old 03-15-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
OK, Mac. The water actually went up almost a foot since the Hublet checked yesterday...likely extra melting yesterday and some rain west of here today. It will have to drop a lot!! Snowing now...will post tomorrow!
Given that ^, my whole idea about tomorrow morning is total 'Bunk'!

Good Gawd ... as more snow/rain/melting/runoff occurs, the water level may not go down for several weeks (months?) now

I guess all we can do is wait, and hope for a miracle.

Mac
Old 03-15-2015, 04:51 PM

Hublet is not convinced but I plan to check anyway, just in case!

Old 03-15-2015, 05:10 PM

They win our hearts and then they are gone, just remember the good times.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:20 PM

Default so sorry

So sorry for your loss Molly
Old 03-16-2015, 10:59 AM

Well, Mac, the creek did not go down and with all this snow, it is too slick to even go down there today! We will keep an eye out, but the Hublet said this morning, that may well be Bean's final resting place...as hard as it is for us to accept. I washed her water bowl and her food bowl yesterday morning, and put them away. I put away her little blue rugs, one for her food, and one next to her couch. But I am not moving her beds for awhile...This dawg had FOUR beds in one big room! Her original dawg donut from her former home, closest to the kitchen table. One next to the TV so she could watch us watching TV...The fancy one behind the couch, and her most recent victory, a permanent spot on the leather loveseat, which was our favorite as we could observe her much better there... Goddamn it all, we miss her so much.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM

Thinking you might need some counseling, Molly.

Grizz
Old 03-16-2015, 07:49 PM

Molly,

I have to agree with Jim (Hublet), but if you folks decide to try to recover Beaner after the water level goes down (May?), I'm in.

Mac