Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2015, 01:35 PM

Default Work Vehicle Geeks, behold the Sprinter 4x4!

Damn, I want me one of these in a 3500 dually!

http://www.thesprinter.ca/en/sprinter-4x4/cargo-van

Old 02-24-2015, 01:52 PM

Looks great , pull the work gear out for hunting and you can probably pull a full size moose in , and still have room for sleeping quarters

Heck you could likly even set up a blind on the roof .

I bet , it would even make a good work vechicle
Old 02-24-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Looks great , pull the work gear out for hunting and you can probably pull a full size moose in , and still have room for sleeping quarters

Its real selectable 4x4, but to have low range is an additional cost option. You can get the diesel fired pre-heaters in them too, and withs its diesel being just a 3.0l it's actually economical instead of obnoxiously overpowered like in the North American 3500 series trucks.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM

And 4wd can be engaged by pushing a button so the limp-wristed modern day outdoorsman can manage it. I wouldn't be surprised if it also has electronic traction control, power windows, tire pressure monitoring, a bidet, and all the other things no vehicle should be without. And let's not forget the bluetooth. Leeper
Old 02-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
And 4wd can be engaged by pushing a button so the limp-wristed modern day outdoorsman can manage it. I wouldn't be surprised if it also has electronic traction control, power windows, tire pressure monitoring, a bidet, and all the other things no vehicle should be without. And let's not forget the bluetooth. Leeper

Power windows are bad? I find them extremely useful for talking to people outside the passenger side of the vehicle. Its pretty hard to buy something without tire pressure monitoring these days, I'm no fan myself, its just another thing to break and the dash warnings are annoying when running a spare tire or one with no TPMS. I might have a bidet in the cargo area, but it would be in a box to install at a clients
Old 02-24-2015, 02:29 PM

Looks like a plumbers dream! I've personally never liked the vans, the rattles drive me crazy, give me a pick up anyday! That being said, as far as vans go that might be one of the best out there! I did work for a guy several years ago who had a mid 2000's 3/4 ton Chevy van with a duramax and a 4x4 conversion, was a pretty sweet set up!
Old 02-24-2015, 02:38 PM

I contract out to a builder who has a Sprinter in their fleet, not sure why, but it seems the new guy gets it everytime. You'd think they would be handy with everything inside.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:00 PM

I'd take the passenger van 4x4 one if it could haul a decent size trailer.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:24 PM

Nice. Now I can have more kids. The minivan was starting to get full.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I'd take the passenger van 4x4 one if it could haul a decent size trailer.
That 3.0 Turbo Diesel is surprising. I had a VW Touareg with a 3.0 Turbo Diesel (same engine platform shared by Audi/Benz/VW) and it was a great engine. Lots of power well beyond what you would expect.

My VW was rated at 7500 lbs towing - the same as many 1/2 tons. I bet the 3500 Sprinter would do better with a stronger frame. That engine had plenty of power to spare as I hauled my boat through the mountains in BC.

The Germans make great vehicles. I love them.

I'd say .... if you are really hardcore ..... and do field service or work in the sticks of any sort ....... get a UNIMOG !!!!!

http://www.neuerunimog.com/en/
Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 PM

As long as you buy the new one you should be fine. The corrosion protection or lack thereof in the first gen vans are keeping body shops in your area very busy! Also If you are easily angered by the cost of parts I would probably consider something else.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Some of the Sprinter/Mercedes conversions are pretty sweet.

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/
Old 02-24-2015, 05:02 PM

Caber I have an 85' f250 dually and a 92 chev camper van that's been gutted.
You could frankenfab them together and have what you want right there for a fraction of the cost of that fancy new vehicle
You can have the choice of a 305 or tr 6.9 diesel.
Any other options we can discuss

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:32 PM

The company I worked for in Edmonton got a couple Sprinters when they first came out. They were told that the mercedes drivetrain was supposed to last for a million miles. After the first year they were so rusty, I'd hate to be driving one after a million miles!
I'm told you can't get the super high roof option with the 4x4 package, though.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:16 PM

I built one online and wasn't interested in the super high roof anyways, I built the high roof version in the 170" wheelbase but not with the extended 'butt'. I do recall how many of those had horrible corrosion issues in areas it shouldn't be happening, such as around the windows, etc. If I ever had the cake to buy one new I'd have some of the undercarriage and for sure the wheelwells Line-X'ed. With Mercedes I would expect they've fixed the corrosion issues, but then again with Mercedes I'd have not expected that to happen in the first place.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:57 PM

This option looks a little less eurotrashy

http://www.quigley4x4.com/products/nissannv.aspx
Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 PM

My mom's mercedes (a sedan) had some surprising early corrosion as well. That was years ago ...... I am surprised to hear this is still going on.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
This option looks a little less eurotrashy

http://www.quigley4x4.com/products/nissannv.aspx
I saw that a while back and though I still find the Nissan NV's effing ugly their utility is not lost on me. What I don't like about them is their inherent waste of length with that long hood, push the driver forward and you have more useable cargo space, particularly for my use in plumbing where 21' lengths of steel pipe or 12' lengths of copper or ABS are commonplace cargo items. If Nissan offers their small diesel in the NV they might just have something, but the Merc is still tops in my books.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:55 PM

the best day ever will be when the last dodge sold sprinter is crushed , i dont think i was ever so happy to see a vehicle discontinued from our line up as that one. the engines were good but the rest of it is a pile of rusty crap. no 2 sprinters ever use the same part so its a nightmare to get anything for and weird things fail.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 PM

promaster.png

Now then there is this ugly ram promaster, one nice thing is I believe they come with an eco-diesel.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 PM

Both mine and the wifes vehicle have bidet's, for the days when you go out, but should have ...um... Wiped better. Its a pain getting up on the hood of the truck though, its hard to reach the wiper washer button too. Bonus round is when you keep the parking ticket on the window, for a clean that can only be achieved by mechanical means.

Oh yeah, nice van btw.

Last edited by flint guy; 02-24-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I saw that a while back and though I still find the Nissan NV's effing ugly their utility is not lost on me. What I don't like about them is their inherent waste of length with that long hood, push the driver forward and you have more useable cargo space, particularly for my use in plumbing where 21' lengths of steel pipe or 12' lengths of copper or ABS are commonplace cargo items. If Nissan offers their small diesel in the NV they might just have something, but the Merc is still tops in my books.
I personally like the looks of the NV, but if it's not for you, that outfit also does ford and GM vans.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 AM

Swifty, I was on a Ft Mac area site recently where the excavation contractors had a couple of Ford 4x4 passenger van conversions by these guys out of Kamloops:

http://www.sportsman4x4.com/
Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 AM

The Sprinter in 4x4 would be a great tool.

We packed 10 Scouts, 2 leaders and a plethora of gear up and down mountains. Would have been just a little bit more comfy with the 4x4. The 3.0 hauled ass, and our fuel funds left us extra for ice cream on the way home.

I'm looking into one of these monsters asap.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:23 PM

I'm hoping the Ford Transit Connect will come out in AWD. They'd make a great little mini-rv for stealth camping on short fishing/hunting trips.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Swifty, I was on a Ft Mac area site recently where the excavation contractors had a couple of Ford 4x4 passenger van conversions by these guys out of Kamloops:

http://www.sportsman4x4.com/
I can't help but think of all the trouble a Hutterite kid would get in with that 18 passenger unit.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
Nice. Now I can have more kids. The minivan was starting to get full.
Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't let my wife hear that!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:07 PM

Hyatt Mercedes had one of the 4x4 Sprinters at the auto show yesterday, the ground clearance was rather surprising. I knew it had the 3.8" lift when equipped with 4WD but having never hopped into one of the 2wd units I had no frame of reference. Its a bit of a hop to get in it and I'm not exactly a shorty, if Mrs Caber were hopping in it would be reminiscent of her climbing into my old Power Wagon.

The full size Ford Transits were nice and I was pleased to find out they're rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive like the Ram Promaster (which is definitely not on my shopping list). The Fords interior was really nice and I liked the drivers cupholder location being on the dash just next to the window by the drivers side mirror, no chance of bumping it over by accident with clutter around the console.

I'll probably be getting a test drive next week, but I think only 2wd units are available for that. The view ought to be pretty commanding in the higher 4wd unit.