Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 04:51 PM

A careless tire guy can break a chunk off your rim with the shoe of the tire machine and make excuses too.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:30 PM

I was told by a couple of tire shops that if you put a wider size tire then what your rims max width is that it can wear out the edge of the rim and eventually cause blow outs.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I was told by a couple of tire shops that if you put a wider size tire then what your rims max width is that it can wear out the edge of the rim and eventually cause blow outs.
Exactly. This is very common for guys who run 285 and 305 tires on their factory Duramax 6.5x16 aluminums. The weight of the truck combined with the excessive tire width on a narrow rim puts extreme pressure on the wheel. Have seen a few blowouts as a result of this.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 PM

see a lot of guys that run the bigger tires on factory rims wearing out rims as fast as tires, most tires have rubber that sticks out a bit wider than the lip on the bead and when you mount a tire thats made for a nine inch rim on an eight inch rim that rubber lip inverts and wears out the rim
Old 11-14-2014, 04:43 AM

Why is it when someone finds something wrong with a product they fire first at the company giving bad news , then go to social media to convince the work the business is scamming them, do you're home work, get a couple of quotes then give an educated review for the company or business thats trying to scam you.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Yes, I had this issue with my 06 GM, had to replace rims after 240000km
Just did this on my 06 duramax.
Bought some new rims and I'm off again.
Will your tires/ rims fail in the next year? Maybe- maybe not.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
What's his stake in the matter? It seems overly suspcious to think that some technicial is going to diagnose problems that don't actually exist.

More likely, he came across it, and thought you should know - And would probably be negligent if he *didn't* tell you.

Besides, it seems odd that he'd lie about something that is visually verifiable.

Had a look at the rims when I picked them up. Wow. I couldn't believe how bad they are worn. The lip on the inside is pretty bad. Looks like new rims in the very near future. My old '95 GMC with 458,000 kms on it has better rims than my 2010 with 185,000. Learned something new to keep an eye on.

(Trust but verify, right?)

My money's on the technician.

Moreso, I suggest your Suspicometer is in need of calibration.
My understanding of rims and rim issues may need a bit of calibration. Had a few places either screw me over or try to.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:28 PM

Had the same issue with my 04 gm on aluminum rims. Could cut your finger on it was so sharp.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 PM

Very common on the gm,s i have replaced several sets over the years. usually around the 200 000 mark.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:46 PM

Twenty years in the industry and it is a common issue and they can end up as sharp as a knife edge if left long enough. If you don't trust them I'd look for a new shop but any good shop will have no issue to show what they're referring to. Take it for what it's worth bud. As Jack&7 he has brought his stuff to my shop and he can vouch for my credibility as a "tire guy" lol good luck with your issue.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:20 PM

And this is why I don't consider aluminum rims to be an upgrade. Especially for a real truck. If there is a pressing reason to want to reduce unsprung weight, that's just fine. Otherwise, I don't see the point. I have steel rims which are twenty-five years old and have run over 400,000 KM and they are still fine. What's more, if I have a flat, there is never a problem getting the wheel off and the tires never leak. Homely and plain but so am I. Leeper
Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 PM

Default tires

Tirecraft in Lac La Biche is a straight shop, honest man runs it.
If he says it, I'd be buying rims.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 AM

I worked for Kal tire for 4 years it is common on semi truck rims even but only the steel ones most of the time. I have never seen it happen to a truck rim tho. Sometimes a bit of rust but you can just take a wire weal and grind it off. I would go and take a look at it yourself if you see a sharp looking ring around the rim where the bead seats then it's no good if not he is trying to pull one on you.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
LOL.. Hope you're kidding.

Steel wheels are just as bad. In fact, I've bent more steel rims than aluminum.
That's simply not true. Look up the yield strengths of steel and aluminum.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
That's simply not true. Look up the yield strengths of steel and aluminum.
Sigh..

You're right.. But since We are talking about Aluminum rims, and 99.99% of aluminum rims are (stay with me) Aluminum alloy. Nice try though.

But hey, what do the majority of Automotive race teams in the world know..

I'm sure they'd much rather spend $300+ on a rim vs $95.

And once again, I'll stand by my statement.. I've bent more steel rims, than aluminum (alloy) rims.. 4:1. And if I still had the rims, I would show you, but I'm sure you wouldn't believe me anyways.

**Now I'm not saying there isn't failures,bends/etc, as it all depends on the alloy composition used, and how the wheel is taken care or/ made/etc.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM

Some Googling shows that you're right, steel wheels have a reputation for bending. I can't figure out why though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
You're right.. But since We are talking about Aluminum rims, and 99.99% of aluminum rims are (stay with me) Aluminum alloy. Nice try though.
Of course we're talking about alloys. I'm not talking about looking at the strength properties of 100% iron versus 100% aluminum. I'm not sure what kind of steel generally goes into steel tires, but I imagine it's yield strength is around or greater than 500 MPa. The yield strength for the aluminum alloy and condition used in cast wheels (356.0-T6) is 207 MPa. The steel also probably has better toughness due to higher ductility, the aluminum having 10% elongation (more prone to brittle failure, especially in high impact offroad applications).

Performance wheels are aluminum because aluminum has around 1/3 the density of steel. This means lower unsprung weight, leading to better road contact across uneven conditions. It also leads to less vibration damping requirements. Lighter wheels also aid braking and acceleration since the wheels themselves have less moment of inertia.

Perhaps the aluminum wheels see less bending failure because the casting process they use allows for better selection of wheel geometry, the steel geometry being quite constrained by the way it's formed from sheet metal.

If anybody knows why steel rims are more prone to bending, I'd like to hear it.