Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Default Micro lock experience

Anyone have experience with micro locks willing to give me a call? Have a question I would rather not post. Pm me a phone number
Old 11-02-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Anyone have experience with micro locks willing to give me a call? Have a question I would rather not post. Pm me a phone number
I have used them lots but I don't anymore they tend to get hair caught in them, Stopped using them a long time ago, the only time i would use them now is on a lynx snare
Old 11-02-2014, 08:07 AM

Thanks agin Tomcat for the phone call.

Long story short.....I want 100% kill rate. I should have listened to you guys and added kill springs to my system. Tomcat also suggested I attach my snares high on the tree (6ft) to improve micro lock performance.

Any buddy have any other thoughts?

7 ft extension, 5 ft snare, micro lock, 265lb breakaway, 3/32
Old 11-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Default Micro lock experiance

Good setup. I use almost the same system, only I use 1X19, 5/64 wire, and I also use a kill spring. Does a number on them for sure.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 11-02-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Thanks agin Tomcat for the phone call.

Long story short.....I want 100% kill rate. I should have listened to you guys and added kill springs to my system. Tomcat also suggested I attach my snares high on the tree (6ft) to improve micro lock performance.

Any buddy have any other thoughts?

7 ft extension, 5 ft snare, micro lock, 265lb breakaway, 3/32
Toothed cam lock with a kill spring
Old 11-02-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
I have used them lots but I don't anymore they tend to get hair caught in them, Stopped using them a long time ago, the only time i would use them now is on a lynx snare
I have used micro lots a long time also and have never had the problem with them hanging up in the fur. Were you using kill springs with the lock, loading your snares, and tying your snare off solid and high? For general forum information my basic criteria for effective and quick coyote "free hanging"snare dispatch are:

-Use a long 8-10 foot snare, in most situations – allows enough distance for the animal to lunge and set the lock solid, with a 14´loop set 14 “ off the ground

-Tie off high and solid – solid tie allows for solid locking and tying high keeps the snare high up on the back of the neck at the desired neck/base of skull dispatch zone. This is accomplished by forming an angle of about 45 degrees from the animal to the snare tie/anchor point.

-If unable to tie high and solid, ensure entanglement or provide a kill pole.

-Use a good lock that does not back off – cam loc with teeth, Amberg or micro lock.

-Use a kill spring with each lock – Senneker stinger or Amberg coil spring. A kill spring greatly increases the effectiveness of any lock.

-Load all snares – provides for very quick closure with slight touch to bottom of the snare loop and a loaded (round loop) jumps over the hump when set at the 11 or 1 o’clock position quicker, with a light touch to the bottom of the loop, than a tear drop loop.

Last edited by tomcat; 11-02-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I have used micro lots a long time also and have never had the problem with them hanging up in the fur. Were you using kill springs with the lock, loading your snares, and tying your snare off solid and high? For general forum information my basic criteria for effective and quick coyote snaring dispatch are:

-Use a long 8-10 foot snare, in most situations – allows enough distance for the animal to lunge and set the lock solid, with a 14´loop set 14 “ off the ground

-Tie off high and solid – solid tie allows for solid locking and tying high keeps the snare high up on the back of the neck at the desired neck/base of skull dispatch zone. This is accomplished by forming an angle of about 45 degrees from the animal to the snare tie/anchor point.

-Use a good lock that does not back off – cam loc with teeth, Amberg or micro lock.

-Use a kill spring with each lock – Senneker stinger or Amberg coil spring. A kill spring greatly increases the effectiveness of any lock.

-Load all snares – provides for very quick closure with slight touch to bottom of the snare loop and a loaded (round loop) jumps over the hump when set at the 11 or 1 o’clock position quicker, with a light touch to the bottom of the loop, than a tear drop loop.
Pretty much the same set up tom, the only difference is I wasn't using killsprings with the microlocks I switched over to camlocks with a kill spring and they work great. I am sure with a killspring they would have performed a lot better for me.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Good setup. I use almost the same system, only I use 1X19, 5/64 wire, and I also use a kill spring. Does a number on them for sure.
Thanx for posting trigger , this is exactly same setup I have for this year. Glad to know it works as I am new to much snaring and made my purchases based on advice from others here , tomcat, northbuck and others .
Old 11-03-2014, 07:37 AM

Went and bought some lightning locks and kill springs from Halfords. I want to compare the two locking systems. I notice that Marty S ties his snares low;granted, he has a lot of low bush for entanglement, but even in open country fence sets he was tieing low. What is different about marty S' system that lets him tether low?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I have used micro lots a long time also and have never had the problem with them hanging up in the fur. Were you using kill springs with the lock, loading your snares, and tying your snare off solid and high? For general forum information my basic criteria for effective and quick coyote "free hanging"snare dispatch are:

If you had a picture of one of your sets I would like to see it!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
If you had a picture of one of your sets I would like to see it!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Hey Tomcat,

Yes a picture of your setup on the snare would be awesome.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Wow, that was super fast.

Awesome thanks,

Bob
Old 11-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Banned

On daily checks close to home probably half of my coyotes are dead and on 2 or 3 days checks some are still alive due to some problem. I'm wondering what you mean by a 100% kill rate in what time frame. Have also had trouble with hair in the lock and snare to far back or in wrong place. The kill springs do help but were not in use when I snared most of my coyotes so don't have too big a sample, but don't seem to be the answer.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 AM

Here's a couple more pictures which show my method of snare support to tree with 11 ga wire, double ferrule used as whammy and extension tie off method. The tie off method provides quick and easy cable extension tie off and removal unless a catch is made, then cable cutters are usually required.