Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 PM

Default Treating snares

What do you experience guys do to treat your coyote snares? And what's this best way to snare coyotes? What do you look for?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
What do you experience guys do to treat your coyote snares? And what's this best way to snare coyotes? What do you look for?
boil in a little baking soda to dull them,find bush and prey species and you will find yote's,frankly there everywhere and anywhere you look,cheers Peter
Old 10-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Banned

The best way to snare coyotes is by the neck.

I wouldn't call myself experienced but I have enough experience to be dangerous. Like Peter, I boiled my snares in a bit of baking soda to dull them up and then I hung them outdoors. I put a bait pile out for a few days and when the coyotes come into it I set snares up in the trails that they are using. Being in farm country, I look for a patch of bush at least 5 or 6 acres large to set up in.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM

I boil them without anything added then reboil with a bit of baking soda, pack them in a rubbermaid container so they can't get contaminated with other scent.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:22 AM

I also treat my snares to a quick boil, 5 minutes or so, in baking soda to remove excessive oils and dull them up. I then soak them in a logwood solution to give them a more natural bush coloration, upper snare, that generally blends in very well.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:26 PM

Boiled mine like everyone else , then packed away in a cardboard box with some grass and brush from the areas I'm gonna set in to try and keep human scent off .My first year to do a lot more snaring so I'm also open to suggestions from you experienced guys .
Old 10-31-2014, 12:48 PM

i boiled mine for 10 min with a whole box of baking soda. I keep them in a rubber made and handle them with gloves. I havent seen any sign of refusal yet.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Boiled mine like everyone else , then packed away in a cardboard box with some grass and brush from the areas I'm gonna set in to try and keep human scent off .My first year to do a lot more snaring so I'm also open to suggestions from you experienced guys .
IMHO and experience as long as your basically clean you leave very little scent with your hands. If your worried about it just just rub some local vegetation on your hands before setting. Actually you leave much more scent from your body; thus get in, set and get out as quick as possible.The little scent you left there will dissipate quickly in most situations.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 PM

i walk on their trails, spit snuff in the bush, and kneel on the their trails to set.....i think as long as you have good bait, the little scent you leave is insignificant. Then again i have been trapping coyotes for 3 days.

I boiled my 9 guage wire for 30 mins with dish soad but still have an oily residue on it. I was using coat hangers for the first couple days. When i reset yesterday i used the 9 guage wire with the residue....we'll see if that has any effect on my catch rate when i check this afternoon.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:30 PM

I know I'm gonna get called B.S. on this one, but...

Last year, I had just finished setting up a snare. As I am putting away my gear, I notice my finger is dripping with blood. I had sliced my finger on something setting it up and my hands were too cold to feel it. It was my last snare of the day and I needed to get going. Decided to leave it and see what happens.
I came back in a week to check it and it connected with a yote! 2 "clean" snares 10 feet on either side had nothing.

Not something I recommend trying, but it sure makes one think.

I still plan on boiling everything in baking soda and keeping my hands clean as possible (no gloves).
Old 10-31-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
I know I'm gonna get called B.S. on this one, but...

Last year, I had just finished setting up a snare. As I am putting away my gear, I notice my finger is dripping with blood. I had sliced my finger on something setting it up and my hands were too cold to feel it. It was my last snare of the day and I needed to get going. Decided to leave it and see what happens.
I came back in a week to check it and it connected with a yote! 2 "clean" snares 10 feet on either side had nothing.

Not something I recommend trying, but it sure makes one think.

I still plan on boiling everything in baking soda and keeping my hands clean as possible (no gloves).
I boil my snares to dull the shine, if anyone thinks there sets are going to be scent free they are dreaming, minimize your scent and hide your snares as good as you can.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
I know I'm gonna get called B.S. on this one,
Not by me as it just proves my point posted earlier. Furthermore in most good coyote habitat, around rural farm and ranch areas, coyotes are very familiar with human scent and do not shy away from it unless concentrated in one spot for whatever reason.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 PM

I've found that boiling snares causes them to rust faster that they would otherwise. And I've always hung my snares bare handed. Hiding them is helpful but not necessary as illustrated in these 2 pictures....just hung ovenite.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 PM

Thanx for the tip tomcat , gonna set some come Dec 1 and find out .