Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 PM

Default Chestermere Lake

Just wondering how sizely the pike get in this lake and how deep it gets in the north end?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
Just wondering how sizely the pike get in this lake and how deep it gets in the north end?
the lake has alot of small pike 2 foot kinda size
some big perch and really big whitefish
the odd trout
depending on water levels the north end is very shallow
the south east area some distance from shore is deeper
Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 PM

i was out a couple days ago got two,not a keeper one of the best spots is anywhere south of the beach on the east side, there smaller pike but always active. ice was about 6 to 10 inches and very loud lots of crackin i see half dozen guys out there today, fun to fish if you dont want to drive to far
Old 12-22-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badman View Post
i was out a couple days ago got two,not a keeper one of the best spots is anywhere south of the beach on the east side, there smaller pike but always active. ice was about 6 to 10 inches and very loud lots of crackin i see half dozen guys out there today, fun to fish if you dont want to drive to far
How long were you there for?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 PM

I have never seen a whitefish or perch come out of there, where did you find those?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
I have never seen a whitefish or perch come out of there, where did you find those?
i test and tune my jet boat on there. ive actually seen a few huge whites dead on the surface. i have a buddy who has quite a few float up in front of his place. he figures they are prop kills. when i used to take the little one out there for afternoon fun i could see them on the camera. i hate whitefish they stink to me BAD.
the perch ive caught have been in the south east section just off the lake basin.
i got sick of the place residence dont want us there
Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 AM

i live on the lake and have no problem with people on the lake,found the people here layed back and happy most of the time. however im a huntin,fishin guy and enjoy talkin bout huntin and fishin. if your out here fishin im the guy on the artic cat sled stoppin and chattin with everyone,your always welcome as far as im conserned
Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 PM

im still biased to my opinion of there being nothing but hammer handles in that lake period. ive never seen anything bigger and have never seen anything other than pike
Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM

in the sping a few weeks after they filled the lake and the dirt settled i caught a nice rainbow, but after that all 10 to 24 inch pike and 24" is big for here. According to some of the elders out here there hasnt been a larger one for 10 years that they or i have heard about. no trophys here,but active most of the day. good for the young ones
Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 PM

I managed a nice 3 or 4 lb pike out of there last winter...and saw a bigger on kinda drifting under our holes...was also talking to a resident who said he pulled a 10lb out of there once....but I've never seen anything but Pike caught there.,
Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Banned

We used to ride our bikes out there from calgary when l was a kid 15 or so , that was back in the early 50tys , we fished off the old bridge , on a weekend fishermen were shoulder to shoulder on the bridge , everyone had a pail of worms and you could see the perch from the top of the bridge swimming around by the thousands , was good time.
A few years later a kid was killed on the bridge , got excited l guess and ran out in front of a car , after that fishing from the bridge was disallowed.
Perch should still be in there l would think , unless the pike have got them all or maybe they,ve followed the outlet canal and gone to other waters on that irigation route.
Ice fished the south end a few years back , seen lots of 20 plus lb ders in there , but they too may have went out via the outlet canal.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
We used to ride our bikes out there from calgary when l was a kid 15 or so , that was back in the early 50tys , we fished off the old bridge , on a weekend fishermen were shoulder to shoulder on the bridge , everyone had a pail of worms and you could see the perch from the top of the bridge swimming around by the thousands , was good time.
A few years later a kid was killed on the bridge , got excited l guess and ran out in front of a car , after that fishing from the bridge was disallowed.
Perch should still be in there l would think , unless the pike have got them all or maybe they,ve followed the outlet canal and gone to other waters on that irigation route.
Ice fished the south end a few years back , seen lots of 20 plus lb ders in there , but they too may have went out via the outlet canal.
good theroy, whats below the lake via canal. should fish there.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
good theroy, whats below the lake via canal. should fish there.
Yup , l believe it feeds bruce lakes and a few other large slews , have to go on google maps satilite and follow the canal , that would be the best way to find the waters , think it feeds eagle lake too , not sure tho.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:15 AM

I fish here 100 times a year for 2 years now and have never caught anything over 24" just unlucky i guess, in fact the rainbow i got in the spring was the biggest one out of here it was 26" i put it back. I hope one day theres a big pike for me ,but i wont hold my breath
Old 12-24-2010, 08:31 AM

I would not expect anything big out of water that small, but downsize your gear and it would still be fun.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:52 PM

i will be out on the 27th i think im going to try for these whitefish ive been hearing about, what do you think fly and a maggot, use to catch the in the river when i was young on a royal coachmen and a maggot ,think i will try. if yor board and got nothing going on i will be at the south end on a green quad with a john deere trailer,thats green as well. might set up the ice cube i will play that bye ear. if you come out there is parking at the south east end or bring a quad and unload behind tims at the north end. hope to see a few outdoorsmen thanks 1badman
Old 12-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Well, tried it out on the 23rd and caught 2 little ones. Water was really milky but still fun. At least it's close to calgary
Old 12-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Was there one year for an ice fishing derby ... I believe the year before last. And believe it or not the winning fish was a burbot! Orv will testify to that.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Im going today going to try for a whitefish, flashy spoon on one and a fly and a maggot on the other i will post results
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 PM

tried for 4 hours on the whitefish no luck,couple little pike,going to try again tomorrow