Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM

Default Pigeon, love that Pigeon

Headed out to Pigeon this morning for a quick morning fish.
Got there and got setup. Dropped down and had a fish hit...the felt the weight and then nothing. Looked down to see a walleye up near the bottom of the hole....weird. It did come back and I landed a nice over 50cm wallie.

Fished for a bit, with the main line and a WW on the Jaw Jacker. Saw a nice white appear. It took 2-3 good swipes at the hook. Then left but came back. One miss and then CONNECT! Felt the weight right away. Tried had bombing the fish up but this white was big enough to not want any of that. Took off with line peeling. I got spooled about 3 times where the runs were 40-50 feet long. Final got the white in the whole turned the head and up and out. A tank! So I take it to the truck to wrap it up in a garbage bag. Get that done, walk back to the tent, as I approach I hear the Jaw Jacker go off. Woot!! Run and see the top is bending nicely, fish on! Had a good long fight again before getting the white in the hole and it popped off at the top. A quick dunk and grab and it was out. So 2 in a row on both rigs, back to back. Oh yeah! Look at my watch and its 8:30 a.m. I fished to around 10 a.m. and saw another 4-5 whites that looked at both hooks. Came close but no more for me. Great quick bite today.

Here are the whites from Sylvan yesterday afternoon.

Nice whites! Big one at 4.7 lbs and just over 23 inches. The 2nd one was 3 lbs which is the smallest I've caught at Pigeon in a long time.

Two whites this size makes for one huge stack of meat!

Yah-freakin-hoo! Making fish burgers and potato encrusted whites for the big one. All getting cooked up fresh.

P.S. Ice is think and strong at Pigeon but you have some driving around to do as the heaves have raised up huge in places. Like looking at a wall.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Pigeon

Very nice catch. Look like the x2 I "saw" on Sat. Seen x2 swim mid water level. I've been to Pigeon x4 times now. x2 times at PP, x1 Grandview, and x1 at Mulhurst. Saw Pike in all places, saw x1 walleye at PP and x1 at Grandview. Fished from 8am to 5pm I was Skunked every trip. I have class "B" tags and I'm at a loss. My guess is my timing.. May make one more trip to try and fill them. . Congrats on your meal of fish. Take care.
p.s. I know they aren't walleye
Old 02-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked_Newfie View Post
Very nice catch. Look like the x2 I "saw" on Sat. Seen x2 swim mid water level. I've been to Pigeon x4 times now. x2 times at PP, x1 Grandview, and x1 at Mulhurst. Saw Pike in all places, saw x1 walleye at PP and x1 at Grandview. Fished from 8am to 5pm I was Skunked every trip. I have class "B" tags and I'm at a loss. My guess is my timing.. May make one more trip to try and fill them. . Congrats on your meal of fish. Take care.
p.s. I know they aren't walleye
Get a good depth map of Pigeon, fish near structure. I've caught so many frickin walleye this ice season from 20 FOW up to 9 FOW. A couple weeks ago caught around 25 in 13 FOW. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 PM

Mr Snap .... well done, enjoyed the story those are real bty's. It appears you're spending more time on Pigeon vs Gull, closer to home or just better fishin on Pigeon ? As well, brass and/or Glow ? I can see you have skill with a sharp knife, too.

Congrat's ... almost makes me homesick ... well not really, still enjoying the palm trees and the smell of fresh cut grass down here in Socal.

Cheers

David

Old 02-20-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr Snap .... well done, enjoyed the story those are real bty's. It appears you're spending more time on Pigeon vs Gull, closer to home or just better fishin on Pigeon ? As well, brass and/or Glow ? I can see you have skill with a sharp knife, too.

Congrat's ... almost makes me homesick ... well not really, still enjoying the palm trees and the smell of fresh cut grass down here in Socal.

Cheers

David

Hey Zip, yeah Pigeon is 30 minutes from my front door. I let it "sit" this year until later and it is paying off. Good ole copper is the WW of choice on Pigeon.

Good lordy that fish was good. Made burgers out of the Sylvan whites and the smaller Pigeon. Potato encrusted for the large white. All fresh fish...

Gonna be at Gull this weekend coming for a small tourney so Pigeon will get a rest for a couple weeks.

Enjoy the palm trees and grass
Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 PM

Good job on the whites, hopefully I can have some of that luck out on pigeon tomorrow
Old 02-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Beauty whites! Nicely done.