Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Default 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

I was at the sportsman show last night look to see if there were any deals on aluminum tiller boats, seems no one is interested in selling tiller models there anyways, but I was talking to a sales man and asked about what he thought about evinrude etecs vs Merc engines. He started talking about how 2 strokes are going to outlawed in AB and BC soon and some lakes in ab, in Kananaskis, don't allow them right now. Checked with fish and wildlife and they didn't know anything about that either. I know the etecs run as clean or cleaner than some 4 strokes, but I'm in the market to get a new boat/tiller and the evinrude was going to be my first choice. Anyone heard of this or have knowledge that 2 strokes are on the ban list. It's been a rumor for many years.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:40 PM

I don't know much about outboard but what's the benefit to going 2 stroke over four. I have a 2.5 hp four stroke and it's sure nice not mixing oil and gas
Old 02-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned

Default 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

I know they have or will stop makeing 2 stroke motors. but i haven,t heard about them banning them.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Which dealer was telling you that? Total B.S. I'd be buying somewhere else...

2 strokes aren't going anywhere any time soon. They're as clean or cleaner than 4 strokes these days.

Both the ETECs and Merc's are great outboards. Personally I'm a 4 stroke guy when it comes to outboards. I LOVE my Verado. I don't think you can go wrong with either though.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
I don't know much about outboard but what's the benefit to going 2 stroke over four. I have a 2.5 hp four stroke and it's sure nice not mixing oil and gas
The big thing on boats is weight. I have a jet 2 stroke and at 85hp the 4 stroke is 100 pounds heavier. Huge difference if you are in shallow water. If Notley gets wind of it they will be banned for sure since she specializes in things that make no sense at all...lol
Old 02-10-2017, 03:43 PM

Some lakes may not allow the use of any gas motors, only electric or muscle power but I haven't heard of any 2 stroke bans before. That would be awfully tuff to implement unless grandfathered in. I mean let's say you have an old sweet looking antique boat with the old original 2 stroke on it, can't use it anymore? I don't think they could do that. They would have to start banning chainsaws, weed eaters, mowers, quads, sleds and everything else too and that won't happen.......I don't think anyways!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:35 PM

Default 2 Stroke Ban

I use a 1946 Champion 4.2 hp and a 30# electric on my "Port-a-Bote" a fold up boat. It would be a shame to not be able to use that feather light old rotary motor...
The 30# electric still pushes her along but the 4.2 gets me on or off way rougher water way quicker. Its feather light and perfect for that type boat. It leaks no more oil or gas than a 4 stroke so why ban them? Maybe they smoke a little more but that's all I see in difference. My 2c's worth
Old 02-10-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Weight, torque and a lot of time better fuel economy with the 2 stroke.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Sounds like you were talking to someone who is selling merc's.i had that issue when i was shopping. Most mnufacturers sell merc and their boats together since brunswick bought up everybody. I have a lund ssv with a 30 etec and had to buy them seperately.dealers everywhere were really pushy trying to sell me a merc. The etec IN MY PERSONAL OPINION is an amazing motor. I go fishing 10-12times an season and burn 1.5 quarts of oil. I hunt with my boat in late fall and winterize/dewinterize everytime. 2 min job. And id put my 30hp up against any four stroke brand for performance.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Have a buddy who had an Etec 115 HP for 4 years. He puts A LOT of hours on a boat as he lives on an island in Lake of the Woods. After 4 years the Etec was completely worn out and he had to do a couple of fairly expensive repairs over the four years he had it. Said it got great gas mileage, performed well and burned very little oil, but ownership costs were quite high due to repairs and short life span.

He went with a 4 stroke when he replaced it.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:22 PM

I have115, Mercury 4 Stroke. Along 9 hp Tiller 4 Stroke. Super Quiet, super fuel efficient. I use one tank all weekend. Whereas my old 90 Mercury 2 stroke, loud, thirsty. I estimate the 4 Stroke is 80% more efficient than my two stroke. The two stroke was faster on the plane. However the four stroke is no slouch.
Boat 18.5' Hewescraft -1100lbs, motor 115 hp merc 450lbs. Troller 9.9 80lbs.
Nice to have conversation doing 45 mph on lake.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have a buddy who had an Etec 115 HP for 4 years. He puts A LOT of hours on a boat as he lives on an island in Lake of the Woods. After 4 years the Etec was completely worn out and he had to do a couple of fairly expensive repairs over the four years he had it. Said it got great gas mileage, performed well and burned very little oil, but ownership costs were quite high due to repairs and short life span.

He went with a 4 stroke when he replaced it.
What year was it?

ETECs have had a 5 year warranty for a long time now. None of the issues were covered under warranty?

The new ETECs have a 10 year warranty and no scheduled dealer service for 5 years.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
What year was it?

ETECs have had a 5 year warranty for a long time now. None of the issues were covered under warranty?

The new ETECs have a 10 year warranty and no scheduled dealer service for 5 years.

If I remember right it was a 2008. I know Johnson covered some of the costs but a bunch of others came out of pocket. The 5 year no dealer service was true of the model he had but that didn't stop it from needing a bunch of dealer repairs. Most aggravating part was having to come home on the kicker 3 or 4 times from 40 to 50 miles away. At 3-4 mph that makes for a REALLY long boat ride.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:08 PM

First thing evenrude does is look at all the sensor data and try to get out of warranty. My buddy with a 115 had a piston let go on a brand new one (i think it was the skirt at any rate it was a known problem for that year) and evenrude tried to get out of warranty claiming the engine was not ran hard enough.

Evenrude warranty is't worth ****.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:31 PM

ive got a 75 hp merc optimax on my boat. Love the motor, quiet, reliable and real good on fuel.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:50 PM

I work with a guy who has had a lot of problems with his etec on his pontoon boat. Great motor when it works expensive to fix is what he says. I own an mid 90s 20hp 2stroke merc it's rock solid I love it. The only upside to a 4 stoke on a small boat is the noise level is nill in a 4 stroke but you're dealing with a lot of weight.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:03 PM

2 stroke is lighter. 4 stroke is easier to use. I have both.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I work with a guy who has had a lot of problems with his etec on his pontoon boat. Great motor when it works expensive to fix is what he says. I own an mid 90s 20hp 2stroke merc it's rock solid I love it. The only upside to a 4 stoke on a small boat is the noise level is nill in a 4 stroke but you're dealing with a lot of weight.

I also have buddy with Manitou Pontoon new last year and nothing but issues with his ETec so far. Sucks bc he was so excited for it and did tons of research and went with the Etec instead of the Merc.. Cpl times he had it out with no issues I was impressed its a beast for a 115
Old 02-20-2017, 11:19 PM

Not sure how a 4 stroke is easier to use?

I have an ETEC 135HO and all I have to do is keep oil in a reservoir. The computer puts in the needed oil and no mixing fuel.

I don't need to do any oil changes and the motor fogs itself in the fall in less than 2 minutes.

Lighter than the 4 strokes and faster hole shot. cleanest burning motor right now so I can't see them outlawing 2 strokes. If they were it would likely be very old 2 strokes.

I've been an OMC and now BRP person all my life and won't be switching any rime soon.

I also have a 10 year warranty