Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
If it's unproductive water - I move, if it's undesirable bait - I change it. Fishing is all about looking and experimenting. At least I like the way it is.
You are right, knowledge is the power, doesn't matter though you can't gain it without electronics. I'm not trying to force anyone join my side, I'm just sharing the way I love to fish.
двоюрідний брат, here is the deal with electronics, it tells you fish are there. If they are picky, like they were for us at pigeon last weekend, you may think the water is unproductive, and go trying to find a place where there are fish, when the truth is they were right under your hole, but just weren't buying what you were selling. двоюрідний брат, trust me, even the most inexpensive flasher is a game changer and makes fishing so much more enjoyable. It really does. Повір мені.

Last edited by sns2; 02-17-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I like to use my 6th sense to find fish. Works great, no battery need to be charged.
I fish without any sonar or camera, nothing could beat those unexpected bites feeling. IMHO
Sounds like you are offering experience which is great but haven't experienced the electronics side much. I like doing both. You are missing out, in my opinion, if you haven't experienced great burbot fishing on an underwater cam. Just one example of making a day more interesting:

http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/...pse9311951.mp4

http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/...psf567c55f.mp4

http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/...psa94b6ad5.mp4

May not mean you catch more but you might have more fun doing it. I'd argue that you learn more about what makes them react to bites than simply dropping a jig down a hole. Also, you can maneuver around the smaller ones and pick out the big ones
Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Sounds like you are offering experience which is great but haven't experienced the electronics side much. I like doing both. You are missing out, in my opinion, if you haven't experienced great burbot fishing on an underwater cam. Just one example of making a day more interesting:

http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/...pse9311951.mp4

http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/...psf567c55f.mp4

http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/...psa94b6ad5.mp4

May not mean you catch more but you might have more fun doing it. I'd argue that you learn more about what makes them react to bites than simply dropping a jig down a hole. Also, you can maneuver around the smaller ones and pick out the big ones
Awesome video. Love it!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
двоюрідний брат, here is the deal with electronics, it tells you fish are there. If they are picky, like they were for us at pigeon last weekend, you may think the water is unproductive, and go trying to find a place where there are fish, when the truth is they were right under your hole, but just weren't buying what you were selling. двоюрідний брат, trust me, even the most inexpensive flasher is a game changer and makes fishing so much more enjoyable. It really does. Повір мені.

Дякую брате! I see what you saying, but I am quite principal on this one and will stick to what I believe. In the future I will probably get underwater camera, to make my videos more interesting. But not with flasher.
Я впертий, брате!

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm
Old 02-17-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Дякую брате! I see what you saying, but I am quite principal on this one and will stick to what I believe. In the future I will probably get underwater camera, to make my videos more interesting. But not with flasher.
Я впертий, брате!
Now that I get! The flasher part rather than the other language

I'm not a big fan of flashers either. "Look that line is turning orange and now red near my green line!!"
Great for quickly finding depths and setting your lure. I'd rather sight fish or use a camera personally.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Banned

If you fish deep water and don't know if the fish are suspended or not you will get out fished and have no idea what depth the fish are if they are suspended.

I don't know why people that don't use flashers bother posting in a thread where someone is looking for advice on using and our purchasing a better flasher.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
If you fish deep water and don't know if the fish are suspended or not you will get out fished and have no idea what depth the fish are if they are suspended.

I don't know why people that don't use flashers bother posting in a thread where someone is looking for advice on using and our purchasing a better flasher.
Sorry yeah, the original point is still there.

Agreed that deeper water and suspended fish are where the flasher beats all. I don't know if any lakes in central that warrant this.

I have the LX7 and I've read the praises on here but I wouldn't buy another one. The Vex models my buddies have make the LX7 look silly. It's okay...lots of features...great in water beyond 110 feet but no where near as accurate as mechanical flashers. Put one next to each and see the difference. No wonder I only use the LX7 only for setting hook depth
Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthunter View Post
I had issues with my helix 5 giving me random readings and the depth going crazy for a while one day, can't remember what I did to solve it but it works good now. It works good for catching perch in 10' of water to lakers in 100'. It's nice when your down that deep and I could see the bait falling from my hook if it fell off
Are you using the sonar or as a flasher?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Sorry yeah, the original point is still there.

Agreed that deeper water and suspended fish are where the flasher beats all. I don't know if any lakes in central that warrant this.

I have the LX7 and I've read the praises on here but I wouldn't buy another one. The Vex models my buddies have make the LX7 look silly. It's okay...lots of features...great in water beyond 110 feet but no where near as accurate as mechanical flashers. Put one next to each and see the difference. No wonder I only use the LX7 only for setting hook depth
What Vex models are your buddies running?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 PM

I have an lx7 and lx9 works like a beast, haven't been updated for years, maybe I should

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-18-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
There have been good points made here on both sides of this debate re using or not using flashers. I believe you become a better fisher using instincts and intuition without a flasher but verifying your instincts with one also adds value.
I use one about 50% of the time I fish, using it either when I'm in deeper water or when I am fishing in cloudy water and cannot see the hook at the depth I'm fishing. I have on occasion used one to find out if the targeted species are in the area, verifying water depth, suspension depths, and reaction to the presentation. But then I have moved holes and left the flasher in the original hole now relying on past gained experience to close the deal. I purchased a Marcum LXI-5 a few years ago and could not be happier with the results. I bought this one because of the fantastic service I received from Marcum when my camera failed. They replaced it without question even though the warranty has officially expired about 3 weeks earlier. I gained a lot of respect for this brand because of the painless experience i had replacing a defective camera.
I could recommend this brand and model without reservation.
Cheers
Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Banned

Using a flasher to determine depth, bottom structure, and whether fish ate in the area is not fishing on "instinct".

Put it this way. If two people with equal skills and knowledge are outfitted with identified gear and dropped on a lake that is completely unknown to them who will catch more fish the guy with the flasher or the one without?

Arguing about whether or not having a flasher will catch more fish is ridiculous it's like arguing about what's better to catch fish a sinew line and hand carved wooden hook or a modern spin cast setup.

Either the people that think fishing without a flasher is better are waxing nostalgic about the good old days, have never used one, or can't afford one and are compensating by talking down their usefulness.

I wish I had a fully outfitted 90g fishing boat but I don't but you will never hear me saying how my aluminium with a 30 horse is better than a tournament boat.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 PM

Update:

Went out this weekend and the helix 5 seemed to work fine. Zero problems whatsoever. Only thing I changed was height of the transducer and order of putting the transducer in the water, hooking it up and turning it on. So looks like the helix 5 will get another chance for a while anyways haha.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSteen23 View Post
Update:

Went out this weekend and the helix 5 seemed to work fine. Zero problems whatsoever. Only thing I changed was height of the transducer and order of putting the transducer in the water, hooking it up and turning it on. So looks like the helix 5 will get another chance for a while anyways haha.
Good to hear!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.