Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Banned

Default Weight sorting brass and bullets question

I have decided to spend some time and do the brass and bullet sorting by weight. When I match them would I go with the heavier brass and heavier bullets to the same charge as that would create higher pressure in the case to help the bullet fly more consistent and thus actually benefiting from the sorting or do I have it backwards? I don't get out to shoot all that often anymore as I am not close to a range so I would love to get n answer from someone in the know.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

lapua brass is already sorted for you so it's really nice to start with that

but if you get bulk brass weigh them and get rid of the extremes. (not that it will tell you much about where the weight is)

as far as weighing bullets i've never gone that deep into the insanity
Old 01-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Banned

I already have the brass and already have the bullets. I am waiting on my brass to get out of the cleaner and then I'll be trimming it and getting it ready to load.

I'm sure Lapua brass is really nice. And it's a fair price compared to a lot of others.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Banned

Technically speaking and if you want to shave hairs, weight isn't what you chase, internal volume is. A case might have it's weight distributed in the head vs the neck, shoulder or body. By weight, no one knows for sure how it affects volume. For example, 2 grains heavier innthe head has much less effect on volume than it does in the shoulder or neck. Thus why I think that weight sorting for ubber accuracy is only part of the equation and a mere starting point.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 PM

When loading Lapua brass I seldom weight sort but would do so if using other brands. If I get an obvious flier, I will set that piece of brass aside to be used for fouling or off-hand practice. When I weight sort, I keep it in lots of less than O.6 grains. I do not weight sort bullets.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned

Is Scott trying to shave a whole inch, a half, or perhaps a quarter?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Banned

For the time it really takes to weight sort, if it can gain me that 1/8" on the bench, it's worth it. Volume sorting may not be quite worth the time. I haven't researched what is entailed with that but I can imagine it's time consuming.

All of my loads that I'm happy with are routinely under 1", some better than others. But I am loading up for new bullets and I have them weight sorted already. I'd just like to be ready for the Rifle Rodeo, the Lethbridge shoot, and whatever one we decide we might do this season.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 PM

base to ogive will pay you larger dividends in regard to bullets.
as far as brass goes, if you want to use up a few evenings sorting, have at it, but until your guns and shooting ability drastically increase, you may not see the benefits that could possibly come from doing so.
i don't say this to slight your ability or firearms in any way; but as a novice shooter/competitor, i think the time would be better spent carefully loading and practicing, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Zero bullet run out and uniform neck tension will pay much higher accuracy dividends than weighing bullets and cartridges.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

Thanks for the input guys.

Lee, I completely understand and appreciate your comments. Maybe I'm just being picky. Lol.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Zero bullet run out and uniform neck tension will pay much higher accuracy dividends than weighing bullets and cartridges.
X2.
Others experience may be different, but I never found a single "strategy" that shrunk groups dramatically ... it seems that everything contributes a little ... and once south of 1/2 MOA, accumulating enough of those little things gets more challenging.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:23 PM

I get the drive to perfection. a large part of shooting perfectly is conquering the mental game. Sorting bullets can give some of us the confidence to be sure the ammo components are all thought about and accounted for. Some of us are lucky to push past that and purely focus on each individual shot. I personally need to volume sort my brass for my confidence. I use water. I haven't weight sorted bullets. Everything counts. There's an article one where about shooters using an old building in the states that was 300 yards long that the shot in and ruled out all evnviromental interference. Then they tested what reloading practices really matter. Does someone know where to find this article?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:26 PM

Brass of the same manufacturer, of the same lot, if you weigh them, are usually uniform enough that they will produce uniform enough results to satisfy most of us, accuracy-wise. Even less expensive brass; RP, Win, FC, is almost always uniform enough in weight by the bag to be of no concern. Segregating your brass by manufacturer is all you need to do, IMO.
To do any more with bullets from the same box, would be unbelievably anal.

Last edited by gunluvr; 01-20-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
snip
There's an article one where about shooters using an old building in the states that was 300 yards long that the shot in and ruled out all evnviromental interference. Then they tested what reloading practices really matter. Does someone know where to find this article?
http://precisionrifleblog.com/wp-con...ion-1-1993.pdf

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/1...ifle-accuracy/

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Consistency. You got the time go for it if your looking to improve your grouping.You need a gun that is capable of consistency, you the shooter need to be consistent and your bullets as close to perfection as you can get. That is the the purpose to reloading and it is time consuming. Of course there is lots of sub groups to each section. ie bullet oali
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 AM

I weight sorted my cases for the longest time then got into volume sorting.
One thing I learned is that some of cases that weighed the same did not have the same volume .
I recommend using the same lot of brass and if you are not I would volume sort them.My lapua brass(same lot) that I volume sorted were very close in volume(within.6 gr.) and weight varied somewhat.
I found quite a difference in the weight of hornady brass(6.5 CM) of the same lot but volume was pretty close(within 1 gr.)
I have quite a bit of brass for 7mm RM and I sort it by manufacturer and volume now with no complaints .
It is time consuming but I find its a cheap solution to keeping things equal and consistant.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
I weight sorted my cases for the longest time then got into volume sorting.
One thing I learned is that some of cases that weighed the same did not have the same volume .
snip good info
It is time consuming but I find its a cheap solution to keeping things equal and consistant.
What fluids have you tried, and now use?
How do you block the flash hole for consistency?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
What fluids have you tried, and now use?
How do you block the flash hole for consistency?
I use water,I leave spent primer in and trim all cases to the same length.
I use a seringe for filling.
One thing I will mention is that you want to make sure that the water bridges the same at the case mouth as 1 drop of water can weigh around .5 or more grs.