Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 AM

Default Field Bred English Cocker Spaniel_Need your 0.2 cents

After exactly two years of loosing my faithful Brittany, I am starting to look for a good bird dog again. All my life I have owned pointers but have come to the conclusion that a flusher that works close and retrieves may not be a bad proposition. My friend told me to look in to Field Bred English Cocker Spaniels and I am putting this post to hear your opinions and experiences about the breed, and the best breeders.

Yours in good hunting,

CH
Old 03-24-2016, 09:00 AM

I have a friend who runs a cocker for birds, it's really funny to see guys go from poking fun at his little dog (the cocker jokes get pretty brutal) until he goes to work and starts finding birds. He keeps up with my brittney pretty well, but is calmer at home, and I've seen him drag a pheasant out of a slough like a champ.

Great little dogs!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:09 AM

I use an American cocker spaniel for up land birds
grouse , huns , pheasants and sharptail grouse,
that little dog is the best bird finder I ever had
now she's getting older she has settled down and works close wth me
she has a lot of heart and loves to hunt
its hilarious to watch her try to retrieve a big goose though
she retrieves the smaller ones, snows and cackler geese, mallards no problem
but the big honkers its hilarious
Old 03-24-2016, 10:10 AM

I would recommend a springer spaniel over cocker. They are both from same blood lines but springer has more stamina and will not play out as quickly.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I would recommend a springer spaniel over cocker. They are both from same blood lines but springer has more stamina and will not play out as quickly.
I'd have to disagree with you there. Although my ESS had endless energy when younger she did have a litter of half cocker pups. One of the 2 we kept is a runt at 28 pounds and no way can mom or her brother keep up with her. She gets cold sooner with the new Hunting opps in dec and Jan but handles the heat of sep and oct much better .
Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 AM

I've got two American cocker spaniels that while I do not hunt with them, I do take them on walks through grass and bush so that they can flush. One of the dogs does not do well around guns which is why I have never tried hunting with him.
They are very determined and have a constant motor when looking for birds. Spaniels noses are quite good. I've seen both dogs pick up scent and head straight to birds bedded 50+ yards away.

One downside is they are a magnet for burrs and any other plant that sticks to fur.

They are definitely worth a look on your part.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM

Thumbs up Springers !!!

I don`t know about Cockers but my little Springer female goes full out all day. In fact I have had several guys ask me what I feed her.
My last one was the same. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:16 PM

Find a good hunting line breeder and go for it! The few I have seen have been great little dogs. Grab an issue of Gundog magazine - there are a few field line breeders who advertise there.

Good luck, and post pics if and when you get one.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:43 PM

Smile cocker

I have a 11 mth English cocker who retrieved huns a 4 mths phes at 7 mths
He is high enegy, I run him with my English Pointers and he is non stop! A little tough to live with as he is into everything and to smart!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:41 PM

On our second American Cocker. I am still a Labrador guy, always will be, but my wife had a female Cocker when we first started dating. That first Cocker was a pampered and spoiled little city girl but she would come along on hunts and picked up the hunting and retrieving just from following my Lab. It was funny watching her trying to keep up with my Lab. The Cocker gave up trying to keep pace with the Lab and stayed close to me, but really used her nose, often finding the birds that held tight while the Lab was already in a retrieve.

The current Cocker comes from an established breeder. Nice looking dog but he's an idiot. Has a great nose but he puts his head down and is gone, much like a Beagle or other hound. He smells everything and is not able to focus on one or two specific scents. He is very interested in the dead birds but does not like to pick them up. I had hoped he might be good on ruffies, but he is distracted by the scent from rabbits, deer, coyotes, bark, dirt, rocks, crickets, and leaves.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:14 AM

Default Cocker

English field Cocker would be a great choice however the money people ask for them would tend to steer me to a field breed Springer. Also easier to find a good breeder/litter locally.....
Old 03-26-2016, 09:02 AM

My vote is for Field bred springer, but I am biased. The Field bred cockers are very capable upland dogs. Not as much hp as a springer , but IMHO they can compete in all but the heaviest of cover for upland. (A 28 lb dog vs a 42 lb dog). As another poster mentioned there's not many breeders , so you are paying boutique prices and typically waiting lists. Most local Field Trialers are getting them from North Dakota or there is one breeder around Edmonton. If you want details PM me. Our Field Trial club training sessions will be starting shortly, and you could see Field Bred Springers and Cockers in action.
One bonus for cockers is they are easier to sneak one past the wife if you are having a hunting dog vs lap dog debate.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:52 PM

Thumbs up

One bonus for cockers is they are easier to sneak one past the wife if you are having a hunting dog vs lap dog debate.[/QUOTE]

Oh Springers can be snuck by too. I was always a dye in the wool LAB man , until I got remarried 25 years ago and was looking for a new dog.
My new Wife thot Labs were too big for the house and shecwanted a little lap dog.
I sweet talked her into compromise of a Springer............. now I am on my 2nd Springer female (42 lbs) and they have both become her house pet & Lap dog. 2 of the best bird dogs I have had.
Sure helps when you wife likes your hunting dog as much as you do! They can do everything my Labs did .
Old 03-26-2016, 07:54 PM

May introduce you to Aspen.
He's not worth a sh!t around guns though... however, he naturally quarters at hand, never goes out farther than shot gun range and loves to retrieve... all hard wired in!

I used to hunt birds, before he came along, would have loved his skills for flushing and retrieving but his fear of guns would make him a better lap dog!

He's smallish for a male at 40lbs. Local breeder in Calgary.

Just throwing it out there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aspen resized.jpg (47.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:15 PM

Got to the members list and look up Ollie.
He has both an English Springer and a Cocker. He has several Yutube videos of them in action as well.
Cat