Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-02-2001, 11:35 PM
Rob

Default GPS on the trapline?

Just wondering how many trappers use a GPS in their initial trapping stages or when they are creating trappers trails? Just purchased a GPS (after getting lost for 5 1/2 hours for the first time in 20-plus years in the bush - you can read about my experience in the December 15 to January 15 issue of the Outdoorsmen) and figure it will come in handy marking set locations and so forth. Will be giving it a whirl in the next week or so.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Yours in the outdoors,
Rob
Old 12-25-2001, 05:15 AM
Arctic600

Rob, I don't trap, as much as I would like to, but I can relate to you. A GPS is a great thing. I too have been lost in the bush while elk hunting and a GPS can be a life saver. It gives you the freedom to wonder through the bush where ever you want to go and still find your way back the most direct way. I now do alot more straight bush hunting where the cutlines do not run and it has improved my success a great deal. This year I took my bull moose and a nice mulie buck in a heavily hunted area with no problems at all. A GPS can be a great thing, just make sure you carry extra batteries.
Merry Christmas
Old 03-16-2003, 01:11 AM
GPS

Default GPS

Hey Rob,

I've been using a GPS for quite a few years. I have one for hunting, one I keep in my Search & Rescue gear and one I use at work. Love 'em, can't be without them, have lost all my personal sense of direction but never really had much to begin with.

I have a small trap line so I haven't needed it, but have used my GPS anyway and works great. Can't pinpoint, closer then a couple of meters, due to the US gov't scrambling the signals, but that's plenty good enough. It's just the added time to set the landmarks however the trade off is, if you carry an extra set of batteries, always being able to find your traps, downed animal, tree stand, truck, or whatever at any hour.

Used mine and my pal, his, a couple of years ago in Wainwright. Wandered everywhere and always found our way back. Better than the few times I've been lost. Took an awesome Whitetail just to top it all off...
Old 01-24-2004, 04:12 PM
critter

Default GPS

I use a Garmin handheld all the time. The US govt. no longer applies selective availability, so the accuracy is better than ever, within 10 feet or so. Use your head and a compass, do not blindly follow the unit. Hopefully you have a newer unit with parallel 12 channel receiver, so it holds a signal better in cloudy weather or in heavy bush. My plan B is always my cell phone and my GPS. If I am down but not out, one call to 911 with my lat. and long., hunker down and wait for the sound of the chopper! It is great insurance.

Regards,

Critter
Old 01-28-2004, 10:56 AM
winged1

Default Re: GPS

For the price, it won't make you a better trapper. A $15 compas guides the way. So tell me, where was your compass during those anxious moments?.