Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 AM

I got the "Ominus" made by "Dromida". It looks like it's going to be fun!
Old 03-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Default Have fun

The traffic was from the Red bull Crushed Ice race being held in edmonton... I think its the last race of the season ( a champion will be crowned ...hopefully a Canadian )
I used to launch rockets as a kid and just started up again this year with my oldest offspring. Bought the whole kit... two single stage rockets, launch pad and launch controller... oh and I bought "A" engines a 3 pack thinking about the wind and not drifting too far away..... ( but what if there is no wind....) So I bought some "B" engines as well.
Off to the lake for a weekend of ice fishing....set things up to launch ... a couple of "A" engines and the boy was hooked ( got a few cheers from the people down the lake as well.) Well truth be told the "A" were a little small... and the wind wasn't that bad almost landed on us... ( you have to point it in the right direction to do that ) So out come the "B's"... What a difference... and ... yup theres a lot more wind up higher!! Glad we had a quad to go get it.... I think the boy is hooked... just need to find someone that owns an acreage near Calgary that will let us launch our rockets as we won't be on the frozen lakes until next winter.

Summer Project: To recreate the rocket sleds that we built as kids and fired them across the snowy field...
should be interesting trial and error.....
Old 03-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
The traffic was from the Red bull Crushed Ice race being held in edmonton... I think its the last race of the season ( a champion will be crowned ...hopefully a Canadian )
I used to launch rockets as a kid and just started up again this year with my oldest offspring. Bought the whole kit... two single stage rockets, launch pad and launch controller... oh and I bought "A" engines a 3 pack thinking about the wind and not drifting too far away..... ( but what if there is no wind....) So I bought some "B" engines as well.
Off to the lake for a weekend of ice fishing....set things up to launch ... a couple of "A" engines and the boy was hooked ( got a few cheers from the people down the lake as well.) Well truth be told the "A" were a little small... and the wind wasn't that bad almost landed on us... ( you have to point it in the right direction to do that ) So out come the "B's"... What a difference... and ... yup theres a lot more wind up higher!! Glad we had a quad to go get it.... I think the boy is hooked... just need to find someone that owns an acreage near Calgary that will let us launch our rockets as we won't be on the frozen lakes until next winter.

Summer Project: To recreate the rocket sleds that we built as kids and fired them across the snowy field...
should be interesting trial and error.....
Get yourself some Estes C6-3 engines and watch for the smoke trail after you lose sight of the rocket! Depending on the rocket, you will be in the neighbourhood of 900-1000 feet.

The D series motors are for bigger rockets that have some weight to them.

Hmmmm...never would've thought so many were still interested in rockets. If anyone in the Calgary area wants to get together and launch a few...gimme a shout!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 03-15-2015, 07:23 PM

Smile You can make your own rocket engines

Google sugar rockets. You don't need to heat the sugar, but you'll figure it all out. You can make very cool 2 stage ones that turn into a glider and coast back down.

Of course, the best one we ever used, was a tiny A engine one that had 3 fins and just helicoptered down.

All the kids loved them, and they really go!

BTW you need kids to chase after them or they aren't any fun.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:55 PM

We are launching rockets next weekend at gull lake my son got a couple .should be fun

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 AM

We were test firing on the "A" motors all day yesterday. Great fun!!! Then we stepped up to a "B" (I think?). Holy-Sweet-Mother-Of-INDIA!!! That thing went a frickin MILE!!!!

So, long story short...I've got a rocket in a tree that I can't get to due to flood water from a pond south of the house