Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-07-2014, 09:53 PM

Default Fleas

Hey guys. I raid my coyotes while they are hanging. I skin with gloves and wear rain pants, rubber boots and an old weatherproof shell jacket. I strip down to my underwears when I enter the house and shower immediately but am still nervous about bringing fleas into the house. How do you guys combat fleas? Is transferring into your house inevitable? Am I being paranoid?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
am i being paranoid?
yes
Old 11-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Banned

Nope, you're not being paranoid and this is something that I'm really concerned with as well. Fleas and my Wife will definitely not go well.....lol.

All of my dogs are going to get sprayed down in the field on the tailgate of my truck and I'm putting them in those big NAFA fur bags. They'll stay in there until I skin them. The pelts have to be washed but man do they look nice after using baby shampoo.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Plastic bag or plastic tote box and raid.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-07-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Nope, you're not being paranoid and this is something that I'm really concerned with as well. Fleas and my Wife will definitely not go well.....lol.

All of my dogs are going to get sprayed down in the field on the tailgate of my truck and I'm putting them in those big NAFA fur bags. They'll stay in there until I skin them. The pelts have to be washed but man do they look nice after using baby shampoo.
You know how to make the wife go wild in the bed room?
Just let one flea jump on her.

A cap full of lacquer thinner in a garbage can for 20 minutes works good too.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
An experienced long liner told me that raiding in a bag or tote only kills the fleas that get directly blasted by the raid. Are you suggesting hanging t the coyote, spraying it, then containing it? Or dropping it in a tote/bag, spraying raid and then closing the container?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
That's what I used to do.
Grain bag.
Cat
Old 11-07-2014, 11:35 PM

I put the carcass in a bag with good flea powder for the recommended time or Raid. I hang the carcass and with the bag loosely over the carcass so the air circulates in the bag. Laying the bag on the floor sort of stops the air from circulating to the under side. Open the bag out of doors and stand upwind to avoid breathing in the Raid or Flea powder.
Brush the pelt with a flea comb outdoors and wash the pelt.

Here is an informative website on the life cycle of fleas and how to deal with them. It talks about flea controls for pets but some control suggestions can be applied to trapped fur too.

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...tml#flea-cycle
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-08-2014, 06:05 AM

I let my skinner contend with the little hoppers , it's worth $10 to me . He uses the raid treatment while hanging like you do and has no problems .
Old 11-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Gone Hunting

I never had a problem with Feas.
Maybe it's our climate up here or maybe I quit while the quitting was good.
Whatever, the Feas I did encounter weren't a problem. They didn't bit people.

They'd scramble around on a guy for a bit but then they'd leave.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Very true Keg,
In all the yappers I have peeled I have never had a flea bite or have a flea want to come and live in my house. I never even used to spray them down the first few years I trapped either.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
An experienced long liner told me that raiding in a bag or tote only kills the fleas that get directly blasted by the raid. Are you suggesting hanging t the coyote, spraying it, then containing it? Or dropping it in a tote/bag, spraying raid and then closing the container?
I guess hanging would work. I know back in the day they hanged horse thieves and cattle rustlers in Bodo. I usually just shoot them. I think a guy would need to trick them to get a rope on them.

I think maybe IMHO we sometimes over think this whole coyote thing, from calling to skinning.

I hate fleas and they do bite me, so I am diligent with flea control on my dogs and whatsername's cats, but I don't spend a lot of time checking and killing them on coyotes. As I said I spray and pray. The whole skinning process only takes 5-10 minutes, so I watch for survivors while I'm skinning.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I guess hanging would work. I know back in the day they hanged horse thieves and cattle rustlers in Bodo. I usually just shoot them. I think a guy would need to trick them to get a rope on them.

I think maybe IMHO we sometimes over think this whole coyote thing, from calling to skinning.

I hate fleas and they do bite me, so I am diligent with flea control on my dogs and whatsername's cats, but I don't spend a lot of time checking and killing them on coyotes. As I said I spray and pray. The whole skinning process only takes 5-10 minutes, so I watch for survivors while I'm skinning.
Boy I would sure like to watch you skin a coyote if it only takes 5 to 10 minutes. If fact I would sponser you in some skinning competitions.
I am not being sarcastic in my comment. I mean it.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Here you go Red Bullets. I don't have to BS.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...skinning.shtml

Here's a link to an article my buddy wrote. The pics are from a hunt in my area. Notice all the cover

If you are skinning for a full mount or rug etc. it takes longer, but for the fur market you do not need feet left on.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Boy I would sure like to watch you skin a coyote if it only takes 5 to 10 minutes. If fact I would sponser you in some skinning competitions.
I am not being sarcastic in my comment. I mean it.
It takes me 9 minutes from start to finish and I'm no expert....I've skinned 12 Yotes and a fox total
Old 11-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Pet flea spray or raid, I spray into the hair then put the coyote in a tote and spray a bunch in there and leave it for a while, then wash the pelt with flea shampoo.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
It takes me 9 minutes from start to finish and I'm no expert....I've skinned 12 Yotes and a fox total
That's pretty quick. At the coyote speed skinning contest at the Rendezvous this year, the fastest time was just under 3 minutes just to skin one and those guys were moving. If you can do it that fast then you've only got 6 minutes to flesh and board it. I could probably do the skinning and fleshing that fast but I'd have to spend 30 minutes sewing the holes up afterwards.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That's pretty quick. At the coyote speed skinning contest at the Rendezvous this year, the fastest time was just under 3 minutes just to skin one and those guys were moving. If you can do it that fast then you've only got 6 minutes to flesh and board it. I could probably do the skinning and fleshing that fast but I'd have to spend 30 minutes sewing the holes up afterwards.
9 minutes just to skin....not flesh. I follow 5911Ryan's exact procedure
Old 11-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
9 minutes just to skin....not flesh. I follow 5911Ryan's exact procedure
I've never timed myself, it takes as long as it takes, but 9 minutes sounds reasonable to me.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the clarification on skinning times of warm coyotes. In an ideal world where a trapper can get to a warm coyote I realize the 5 minute coyote is possible. I don't remember ever getting to skin too many real warm coyotes.
It is a great idea on the field skinning. Alot easier than dragging 10 coyotes on a toboggan.

I must be old school. It was never about how fast I skinned or fleshed, but more about the quality of the pelt I produced. I have skinned many yappers in my time but never skinned one that fast. Cold coyotes in maybe 25-30 minutes. Never had to sew up many holes, tears or big eye holes either.

Kudos to the fast skinners.

Red Frog.... If you can get your coyotes down to 3 minutes I will sponsor you in at the next Rendezvous.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thanks for the clarification on skinning times of warm coyotes. In an ideal world where a trapper can get to a warm coyote I realize the 5 minute coyote is possible. I don't remember ever getting to skin too many real warm coyotes.
It is a great idea on the field skinning. Alot easier than dragging 10 coyotes on a toboggan.

I must be old school. It was never about how fast I skinned or fleshed, but more about the quality of the pelt I produced. I have skinned many yappers in my time but never skinned one that fast. Cold coyotes in maybe 25-30 minutes. Never had to sew up many holes, tears or big eye holes either.

Kudos to the fast skinners.

Red Frog.... If you can get your coyotes down to 3 minutes I will sponsor you in at the next Rendezvous.
Yes, all the coyotes I have skinned have been relatively warm. I only use a knife to cut off paws, cut the back legs around the tendon, slice from the vent to the ankle, cut the ears, skin the eyes, and skin the nose. The rest of the operation is done with my hands and knees. It's all about speed and efficiency for me (9-5 type job and 2 kids under 3). Holes have not been an issue. I'm not trying to brag (I have no right considering I've been trapping for whopping 12 days) I'm just validating my claim.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Red Bullets. It's not about speed for me, but on the other hand I don't waste good calling time peeling the hide off. i have done enough that it usually takes 5-10 minutes. Now I've met a few that were not willing to part with their hides easily. Not a lot but once in a while they make it tough.

Cold coyotes are a whole other game. Often they go to the Hutterites.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Red Bullets. It's not about speed for me, but on the other hand I don't waste good calling time peeling the hide off. i have done enough that it usually takes 5-10 minutes. Now I've met a few that were not willing to part with their hides easily. Not a lot but once in a while they make it tough.

Cold coyotes are a whole other game. Often they go to the Hutterites.
Where's coyote skinner when you need em ??
Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Yeah that guy was superfast.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:46 AM

The real pro's have covered this well and I'll just agree with Red it's being overthought big time.
If skinning on site just skin and then toss the pelt into a garbage bag with a good dose of raid. When you get home and go to flesh and stretch the bugs are all dead.
If hauling the coyote home whole just toss him in the bag with the raid. When you get home they will have died off.
I do wear nitrile gloves but that's about the only special steps I take "just get er done "